Super Heresy 1 (Baby Cornwalls Mod.)

How big is your room Claude ? Is there hallways or other open areas ? Just trying to get an idea of the space you took the readings in.

Speakers against a 12 1/2 foot wall. Room depth 14 ft. to back well where my headboard is, which then opens to a 3 x 15 ft. hallway. This is something I never expected from such a small box, so I'm sure it's mostly the room and corner placement on right with with near corner placement on left also (3ft from corner 1/2 bath door needs to open). The following Room Simulation Wizard should serve to explain the 40 Hz. peak that was measured. at the spot with the "head" symbol/mike placement. Since I measured most of the bass coming out of the rear ports before I put these in the room, I basically modeled them as a 30-150 Hz. sub and measured the exact location of the ports against the wall. I would say the model AND the measurements agree.

attachicon.gifSHroomSim.jpg

The room is a very nice size for a pair of Heresy's and with you mods should offer a little more thump where it needs to be along with midbass details.

How big is your room Claude ? Is there hallways or other open areas ? Just trying to get an idea of the space you took the readings in.

Speakers against a 12 1/2 foot wall. Room depth 14 ft. to back well where my headboard is, which then opens to a 3 x 15 ft. hallway. This is something I never expected from such a small box, so I'm sure it's mostly the room and corner placement on right with with near corner placement on left also (3ft from corner 1/2 bath door needs to open). The following Room Simulation Wizard should serve to explain the 40 Hz. peak that was measured. at the spot with the "head" symbol/mike placement. Since I measured most of the bass coming out of the rear ports before I put these in the room, I basically modeled them as a 30-150 Hz. sub and measured the exact location of the ports against the wall. I would say the model AND the measurements agree.

attachicon.gifSHroomSim.jpg

The room is a very nice size for a pair of Heresy's and with you mods should offer a little more thump where it needs to be along with midbass details.

Precisely. It all about synergy. I'm just running an old Kenwood 2 ch receiver now, wait until I put my spare Onkyo with Audyssey XT on it!! Should smooth everything out perfectly.

• 4 weeks later...

I think one can build something far better than stock Heresy with the same budget. a 12" woofer with a good CD combined to a much better horn with less coloration and more controlled directivity,... just my opinion ;)

Edited by Arash
  • Like 1

On 6/29/2014 at 3:44 PM, Arash said:

I think one can build something far better than stock Heresy with the same budget. a 12" woofer with a good CD combined to a much better horn with less coloration and more controlled directivity,... just my opinion ;)

Yes, you can, but then it's a fresh build and not a modified Heresy at that point.

It may also require a bigger box. It just depends on how much "improvement" you want to make. Mine still has all Klipsch components except better tweeters. The midrange and highs are where the most improvements lie, not the bass, which should be done with a subwoofer no matter which speakers you own.

The OP was about modifying existing Heresy's, not a fresh build, which would be just that.

• Like 1

This is a very cool thread! I was planning on building something like this with the K-42's in an original Heresy cabinet and Chorus II crossovers but ended up stuffing those parts into a pair of Forte II's. I still have an extra set of K-42's, K-79 tweeters, Chorus II crossovers and empty Heresy I cabinets, maybe I'll try building something similar to what you have with the parts I already have? Where did you get those tweeters? Are they 8ohm? How much were they? Thanks.

So...why wasn't the Heresy ported all along?

To further address this question. I remember asking Paul Klipsch, while we were in the lab in Hope, why he didn't put any insulation in the Heresy. His reply: "I wanted a pure capacitance." IOW, no resistive component in the box.

• 1 month later...

Where did you get those tweeters? Are they 8ohm? How much were they? Thanks.

ALK Engineering. http://www.alkeng.com/ go to PWK upgrades horns, etc. and go to the bottom. I do no price other people's products, so ask him. Tell him Claude sent you.

Get the ones with the DE-10 driver. Also, you can find K55V drivers and K-700 horns on Ebay. You will have to cut about 3/4" off the tweeter corners to clear the mounting screws on the K-700 mid horn to fit the tweeter in. Other than the port hole, there is not other cabinet mod required as everything just drops in. I recommend 8 screws for the woofer instead of just 4, since the magnet is so heavy on a K-42.

I'm suggesting the DE-10 since it's much cheaper than the DE-120 and is perfect for a super heresy. Having listened to both, they each sound good and it's personal preference.

JimJimbo is now the proud owner of this pair of speakers (I have modified others for my HT surrounds in the same way). He was blown away when he heard them at my house in Indy and I gave him a good deal.

So if you have any questions about how they sound, you may want to PM him about it as I'm on to other projects not involving Klipsch mods.

PEACE and good listening to all.

Last night I finished redoing  (???), rebuilding (???), modding????)  -----  doing something to a set of Heresys.  I built a new larger ported cabinet, changed the mid horn to an 8 x 12" parts express horn, changed the K-77 to K-79 tweeter with titanium diaphragms, mounted all speakers from the front,  recapped the E2 crossover with Sonicraft caps, and split the E2 crossover for biwiring (it can be changed back easily).  The bass is much better (cabinet is 40H x 15W x 12D" deep).  magnets on the grill frames.    Extensive bracing inside.   The mids really seem to be more open and the dispersion is much better to my ear.  I replaced all wiring with 12 gauge copper and added mortite rope caulk to K-22 woofer outside spokes and back of PE horn.  So I feel like Darth Vader - ("he's more machine than man now!!")   I'm not sure just what the speaker should be called.  But it does sound nice!

My gosh - I've created a monster!!

I'm not sure just what the speaker should be called.  But it does sound nice!   My gosh - I've created a monster!!

Well, you certainly can't call it a Heresy, since you used a bigger box.

the only component I used that wasn't from the Klipsch factory was the Tweeter. But I still can't call mine a Heresy, it's a Heretical Heretic Heresy, Baby Cornwall, or Super Heresy since I used the commercial K42 woofer with the huge magnet.

Yes you can make those sound really good with a little bit of work and money.................all better than stock.

Let me tell you, Claude's Heretical Heresy's are pretty freaking amazing.  Claude knows his stuff, and really put a lot of thought (and money) into those babies....Yes, I am now the very proud owner.

Thanks for the kudos, Jim. I'm glad you like them as much as before you owned them.

• 7 months later...

This sounds like a great speaker set up but I was wondering if you used the A4500 crossover from bobcrites, how that would work or if it would work at all. Just wondering I don't know much about the technology of crossovers. Oh and I just noticed the date of the OP so I probably won't get a response. Lol

Edited by Jeff Penley

This sounds like a great speaker set up but I was wondering if you used the A4500 crossover from bobcrites, how that would work or if it would work at all. Just wondering I don't know much about the technology of crossovers. Oh and I just noticed the date of the OP so I probably won't get a response. Lol

I have one pair left, soon to be for sale. Yes one could use the Crites 4500 section on the tweeter, since it's Bob's tweeter. I liked it better than the original B&C DE-120 since it was flatter. the B&C was a good match, but had a rising response above 10 Khz. which made sibilance in recordings harder to bear.

Bob's tweeter is "just right" measurement-wise and listening-wise. Crossing it lower is not necessary with a Heresy Mid, but for personal taste it would not hurt a thing to do that "TWEAK". I did not find it necessary by measurement or listening.

The pair is for sale if interested. PM me on this.

Thanks for your help. I'm looking at trying the DIY myself for now, we'll see how it goes, but thanks for the offer.

Some people want to do DIY, some Not, some a little of each. It's easy to do as I say and well worth the effort according to my ears, measurements, and the opinion of other Klipschsters.

I was asked how come Klipsch doesn't do this......the simple reason...........production costs. You are not constrained by this so go for it and enjoy the rewards.

I solved the issue in an easier way as mods are expensive - since Heresy speakers are 3-400$ - I bought 3 pairs -

You still won't get as good of midrange and treble definition or the sharper transient response of a high BL product woofer no matter how many Heresys you stack up. So it's a different kind of "solution" and not relevant to this OP, but relevant to space and dollars, not improved sound.

Edited by ClaudeJ1
  • Like 1

• ClaudeJ1 changed the title to Super Heresy 1 (Baby Cornwalls Mod.)