Playstation 3 vs. Playstation 4

InVeNtOr

i have a question regarding the new ps4. does it do anything different (audio processing wise) than the ps3? i ask because way back when...lol....when the first ps3 came out (fat version) it played "all the codex's". then the newer slim version came out and it could now play the newer HD or Master codex's. so people like me, sold off the fat for the slim (like all shallow people do!....lol)

i would like a new ps4 (for game reasons) but i can put that off until they come out with a newer version (like always).

• Like 1

Playstation 3 the original fat version was the best version of the playstation 3. The original release of the ps3 found sony spending way too much to produce units. Originally it had a chip called the "emotion chip". This chip allowed the ps3 to emulate ps2 hardware at about 99% backwards compatibility. To save money, sony removed the emotion chip as well as the media card slots and reduced USB ports from 4 to 2.

In place of the emotion chip sony began emultlating ps2 hardware with software with somewhat worse results (about 92% backwards compatibility). The newest slims removed the backwards compatibility completely and also made it impossible to change ps3 OS to Linux.

Your questions on codecs is a good one, but in reality the original fat console could run any codec the new slim ones do. If there were new codecs, they would be installed via software updates released by sony.

The ps4 will be able to play any codec the ps3 could. And, should sony make 4k content available to the network (I am sure it already is) then the ps4 could stream that video with no problem, it is basically a specialized computer devoted entirely to games and media.

Edited by Cosmic_surfer

well, if the fat (orginial 60GB) could play ALL the same sound codex's as the new slim version, i'm going to be upset. that's something i even called Sony about. what ever the newest audio samples were (again, i think it was the HD and up) the fat couldn't play. there wasn't a software upgrade that would do it, it was all hardware that needed to change. again, that's according to Sony and a few other web sites i read on.

i'm still doing some googling and can't find anything except hardward and controller differences. the 4 has a nice 8 core cpu vs. a single in the 3. no one even mentions the audio in either. one article does state the 3 will get a software upgrade to handle the 4K. i probably won't get a 4K anytime soon (maybe when everything is 4k).

i think Youthman has the 4 and a swanky blu-ray player, might need him to chime in.

Actually the ps3 had 6 cores, and the xbox 360 had 4. The ps4 excells at memory though. The ps3 only had 512 mb of system memory, the ps4 has 8 gb of system memory (if my memory serves me right). I haven't looked up the specs on the 4 in a while, but I am certain the ps3 could play most everything (earliest models to latest). The only hardware changes that were made were those that i listed as well as a general slimming down. Unfortunately heat management only got worse. The best thing about the ps4 is that heat is almost a non issue. The ps4 runs a good 20-30 Celsius lower than ps3. So this means system failures from overheating (common in the YLOD) will be minimal to say the least.

As far as sony saying the slims had more codec options on them... Flat out lie, if anything the ps3 was made cheaper and cheaper with less options, not more capability.

• Like 1

On the topic of games, I am skipping the new gen consoles. I have 2 PS3s and 2 Xbox 360s slims and fat.

A good gaming PC beats the pants off either of the new units without the limitations of either.

Once you go PC, you won't go back! The mods available to you let you custom tailor the game the way YOU want it to be.

I am keeping my "old" units for the games I have for them and for Blueray and DVD. For audio, I have a CD player and TT etc.

On the topic of games, I am skipping the new gen consoles. I have 2 PS3s and 2 Xbox 360s slims and fat.

A good gaming PC beats the pants off either of the new units without the limitations of either.

Once you go PC, you won't go back! The mods available to you let you custom tailor the game the way YOU want it to be.

I am keeping my "old" units for the games I have for them and for Blueray and DVD. For audio, I have a CD player and TT etc.

I heartily disagree, yes shooters like CoD and Battlefield are vastly superior on computer. Your argument falls apart when we start talking about console exclusive games. I enjoy games/stories like the uncharted franchise, infamous series, dark/demon souls, dead space, the list goes on. Most of these games will never see a pc release. Besides, I really enjoy achievments and trophies... Nothing says im better than you than that trophy I have and you don't lol.

• Moderators

I have both the PS3 and PS4. The new main benefit you will see is with gaming. The current games look fantastic but the PS4 over the next year and beyond, game developers will be able to take games much further than were possible with the PS3.

In regards to handling HD Codecs, yes, both PS3 and PS4 will "handle" them but the Fat PS3 will not "Bitstream" or hand off the HD Audio formats to let the receiver do the processing. That's why on the receiver it will say something like PCM instead of Dolby True HD or DTS-HD Master. With the PS4, I can bitstream and let my receiver do the HD Audio Decoding.

I have not noticed any difference in PQ or SQ with the PS4. Still a fantastic bluray player and gaming console.

I heartily disagree, yes shooters like CoD and Battlefield are vastly superior on computer. Your argument falls apart when we start talking about console exclusive games. I enjoy games/stories like the uncharted franchise, infamous series, dark/demon souls, dead space, the list goes on. Most of these games will never see a pc release. Besides, I really enjoy achievments and trophies... Nothing says im better than you than that trophy I have and you don't lol.

This is true. To many really good games are missed on PC. Plus the ps4 has caught the PC in terms of graphics. Everything I'm reading says it's as close as it gets. Not to much left on a PC that you can't get on a ps4. PC has a few mmo games that I would like to see on ps4. But it's a very small list.

I have both the PS3 and PS4. The new main benefit you will see is with gaming. The current games look fantastic but the PS4 over the next year and beyond, game developers will be able to take games much further than were possible with the PS3.

In regards to handling HD Codecs, yes, both PS3 and PS4 will "handle" them but the Fat PS3 will not "Bitstream" or hand off the HD Audio formats to let the receiver do the processing. That's why on the receiver it will say something like PCM instead of Dolby True HD or DTS-HD Master. With the PS4, I can bitstream and let my receiver do the HD Audio Decoding.

I have not noticed any difference in PQ or SQ with the PS4. Still a fantastic bluray player and gaming console.

The op is asking about sacd and other high end music like super dvd.

I re read his post and he does say hd codex. So I see why you answered that youth. But what he was asking (I'm pretty sure) is if it will play sacd and high level audio CDs. That was what the old ps3 had that the new ones did not. I think he just worded it wrong. If not sorry to both :)

Edited by reference_head

Youth,

you got it right! sorry guys, i can't ask the right question. i've talked Youth's ear off before so he now speaks "Dave". that is why i traded out my fat ps3 for the slim is the bitstream issue. i've told Youth before i don't even own any CD's (well except for those "Bells" - my fellow cable tests probably still hear that CD in their sleep! lol)

i saw something last night about bitstreaming but i wasn't sure if that was the reason so many years ago. i was going crazy there for a moment.

if the new slim and ps4 are the same when bitstreaming or DVD audio are conserned, i will for sure wait until it's much cheaper.

thanks again!

This is true. To many really good games are missed on PC. Plus the ps4 has caught the PC in terms of graphics. Everything I'm reading says it's as close as it gets. Not to much left on a PC that you can't get on a ps4. PC has a few mmo games that I would like to see on ps4. But it's a very small list.

There is very little on console that I can't get on PC. It may take a little while. I really don't do much with COD or BF, I am into the more expansive games such as Fallout (all) Portal, Crysis and my list goes on and on. I don't get much into Zombies on earth or in space. My internet is very limited in bandwith so I play solo and even if I had trophies that you don't I could not brag about them anyway!

The mods that are available on PC completely change to the better the graphics, NPC and PC, story line, options. As I said, I have the last gen setups, there is nothing wrong with liking consoles, I am not a PC snob but there is nothing in the next gen systems that is going to take money from my pocket.

UH..... just to say on topic, ...... Codec, uh, Bitstream, and SACD! Whew, I nearly jacked the thread!!!! :P

I have an Xbox 360 (that I got for free) and a beast PC consisting of a 3930K, 16 GB DDR3 2133 MHz RAM, and a GTX TITAN. Safe to say that I have not turned on the Xbox 360 since I built this PC.