Playstation 3 vs. Playstation 4

InVeNtOr

I have an Xbox 360 (that I got for free) and a beast PC consisting of a 3930K, 16 GB DDR3 2133 MHz RAM, and a GTX TITAN. Safe to say that I have not turned on the Xbox 360 since I built this PC.

Again, all good and fine for the mainstream gamer. But there is a significant chunk of games that never make it to pc (uncharted, last of us, beyond. 2 souls, forza, etc.). For game library, consoles are the clear leaders, yes there are games that only go to pc, but not as many as vice versa.

• Like 1

I have an Xbox 360 (that I got for free) and a beast PC consisting of a 3930K, 16 GB DDR3 2133 MHz RAM, and a GTX TITAN. Safe to say that I have not turned on the Xbox 360 since I built this PC.

Again, all good and fine for the mainstream gamer. But there is a significant chunk of games that never make it to pc (uncharted, last of us, beyond. 2 souls, forza, etc.). For game library, consoles are the clear leaders, yes there are games that only go to pc, but not as many as vice versa.

True. But I am mainly a FPS gamer so the mouse and keyboard (along with better technical qualities such as graphics and sound) makes the PC a better platform for me. By the way, Dead Space did come to PC (which I enjoyed very much).

True. But I am mainly a FPS gamer so the mouse and keyboard (along with better technical qualities such as graphics and sound) makes the PC a better platform for me. By the way, Dead Space did come to PC (which I enjoyed very much).

PC was always the king of graphics. Game play is clean and smooth. But that gap has now been closed with the new systems. Game play and graphics are right there at that level. The convenience of consoles and the ease of use is light years ahead of the PC. The controller vs a mouse/keyboard is another huge win for the consoles. Yes you can add a universal controller to a PC but the game was not made with that universal controller in mind.

Up to you sancho, I can honestly say console gaming when I was a kid is very different from today. I don't know why the systems can allow up to four controllers when most games will not even do 2 players. If you want to give them some good storied games though, ps4 would be a solid candidate. At 8 years old though, I would probably go the Nintendo DS route and see if they like it. DS has some really good games on it, vita is a great system, but its library has been disappointing over the past 2 years. If you do decide to go the ps4 route, vita has amazing synergy with it.

• Moderators

Let's see...COD on a 103" screen in 1080p paired up with 3 LaScalas, 4 RS62ii powere by a 200x7 amp and an RSW15 all while reclining in leather theater chairs or sitting at my desk with my mouse, a 23" screen and klipsch Promedia speakers. Lol

A ancho, my only concern for the Playstation games is the content. Much of the games are geared towards adults as there is language and violent graphics. Of course there are games like Mindcraft that the younger kids eat up.

Let's see...COD on a 103" screen in 1080p paired up with 3 LaScalas, 4 RS62ii powere by a 200x7 amp and an RSW15 all while reclining in leather theater chairs or sitting at my desk with my mouse, a 23" screen and klipsch Promedia speakers. Lol

A ancho, my only concern for the Playstation games is the content. Much of the games are geared towards adults as there is language and violent graphics. Of course there are games like Mindcraft that the younger kids eat up.

They DO like Minecraft.

• Moderators

Mark, I haven't found too many kids that don't like Mindcraft. Seems to be quite addictive. My 15yr old son thought it was cheesy until his friend convinced him to try it and now he really enjoys playing it too.

PC was always the king of graphics. Game play is clean and smooth. But that gap has now been closed with the new systems. Game play and graphics are right there at that level. The convenience of consoles and the ease of use is light years ahead of the PC. The controller vs a mouse/keyboard is another huge win for the consoles. Yes you can add a universal controller to a PC but the game was not made with that universal controller in mind.

Actually no it has not. Take a look at IGN where they compare games across all 5 systems (ps3, 4 xbox1 and 360 and pc.) The PC is still the CLEAR winner, sorry about that. There is no way a console that is all in one can have the graphics quality and speed of a good graphics card that costs a whole bunch more than an all in one system, aint gonna happen.

As to game lib. the majority of games are ported for PC, a lot of games are for the Xbox AND pc or PS AND PC some are Xbox PS AND PC,

There will always be some games that are on one platform and not on another but for the most part, there is a huge crossover. Most console players don't really know what is available for PC.

Please do not take anything I say as a put down of consoles, as I said, I have 2 PS3s and 2 Xbox 360s in addition to my PC but there is nothing to draw me into the PS4 or Xbox 1.

OH, BTW, no desk in the "room" the PC sits on one of the Khorns (the right one) and my Lazy boy recliner is in the sweet spot. Aside from shelves equipment racks, speakers and the TV, it is the ONLY furniture in the room :D

• Moderators
The Khorns are in their nice corners, the screen is in the center between them and the audio gear is in racks to the side of the screen.

You have to admit, not many people can say they have a PC setup quite like that. :D

I am a avid game indulger. I have tried out most games and my collection is about 150 games strong on console. A lot of games do port to computer, and no complaints on the graphics since you really can't upgrade a console. The games that don't usually port are those third party creators. Lets take a classic look at biowares mass effect. Before bioware was picked up by a major gaming company (certain it was electronic arts), it was only available on 360 and pc. Once it was picked up it started cranking out games faster across 3 major platforms instead of 2, with multiple smaller tie ins. Most third party companies dont have the resources to do that, and as a gamer I can safely say that once a third party does get picked up, the gems they are known for get poisoned and deluded by mainstream gaming philosophy. One of my favorite studios I can safely say remains somewhat independent (Atlus). Bethesda is also an extreme exception to the growth and maintaining a solid product

The Khorns are in their nice corners, the screen is in the center between them and the audio gear is in racks to the side of the screen.

You have to admit, not many people can say they have a PC setup quite like that. :D

Ya, it is the exception and not the rule for sure :D

As to releases that is why I have 5 systems (the dups are cuz I am lazy and do not want to switch the consoles between rooms. They are connected to my sat internet so I can copy saves between them easily)

While I love to play games, I get up at 3 am for work, and don't get back until after 4:30pm (on a good day) then take care of the dog, the wife, cook dinner and do a little work in the shop, shower, to bed and start all over again in the morning. If I game more than 4 hours in a week, it would be a big deal.. game wise. There have been all weekend long sessions true enough but very VERY few of them, There is just too much to do in my life to devote more than I do to games. I suppose I am happy with the 30 to 40 games I have between all platforms.

There should not be a big need to play the my stuff is better than your stuff game, if someone enjoys what they have .. great. All I said was, there is nothing in the next gen systems that is getting my money. Well until I find some cash strapped kid on Craigs list who needs to sell his system for gas money at a huge loss anyway, that is how I picked up my dup systems at about a C note each... long before next gen was a major topic!

Edited by Cal Blacksmith

• Moderators
there is nothing in the next gen systems that is getting my money. Well until I find some cash strapped kid on Craigs list who needs to sell his system for gas money at a huge loss anyway,

That's too funny. :lol:

..... One of my favorite studios I can safely say remains somewhat independent (Atlus). Bethesda is also an extreme exception to the growth and maintaining a solid product

Don't remember that developer but clearly I am not "into" it as much as you are! Bethesda though, I agree they are an exception to maintaining a solid product, I have the Fallout series on both PC and PS3, both are buggy and hang constantly. Skyrim has been said to have the same issues. IDK what their issue is but it seems they could put out a patch to fix the issues. After the 3rd or 4th hang in half an hour, I shut the game off. Sometimes it goes hours without problems but other times it is so frustrating I just walk away.

Oh I hear you on the fallout game freezes. Regardless it is a beautiful game and remains to this day one of my all time favorites (not Vegas). Elder scrolls is equally beautiful. If you get the chance, check out the dark souls games. Difficulty and learning is the true challenge of the game, once you get last that, you will get hooked on it .