Playstation 3 vs. Playstation 4

InVeNtOr

Oh I hear you on the fallout game freezes. Regardless it is a beautiful game and remains to this day one of my all time favorites (not Vegas). Elder scrolls is equally beautiful. If you get the chance, check out the dark souls games. Difficulty and learning is the true challenge of the game, once you get last that, you will get hooked on it .

Ahh the souls games are so much fun. Never do you feel so much pride in a game as you do when you beat one of those games :). All 3 games are so good!

I highly doubt your PC has better sound than 99% of the peoples home theaters on this forum ;)

Have a look at this:

that has nothing to do with what I said. Lol I was talking about MOST people computer speakers setups don't hold a candle to most of THIS FORUMS home theater systems. I'd take bio shock on ps3 on my projection based cinema home theater anyday over a PC with some Klipsch pro media setup or similar.

PC was always the king of graphics. Game play is clean and smooth. But that gap has now been closed with the new systems. Game play and graphics are right there at that level. The convenience of consoles and the ease of use is light years ahead of the PC. The controller vs a mouse/keyboard is another huge win for the consoles. Yes you can add a universal controller to a PC but the game was not made with that universal controller in mind.

That statement is, the first part at least, completely wrong. And I don't mean this an a "everybody has their own opinion kind of way, it's just false objectively speaking. I actually think the whole statement is wrong tbh.

PC still is king of graphics by a large margin. I have no idea what would make you think otherwise. Recent years have shown time and time again that the weak link in pushing graphics in mainstream games to next level is consoles. There are so many stories of crappy ports for PC because the game was developed for consoles not PC. After console release PC gets the port which is often a minor improvement to console level but stands in no comparison to what the PC would be capable of. The difference between a game that is specifically being developed for PC is like night and day. GTA V will be released for Next Gen I'm sure hopefully theyre also working on a native PC version which will the Next Gen Version look like garbage. Developers have gotten better with it but it's clear that consoles are holding PCs back and the reason is simple: money, there is more money in consoles.

Now let's not compare apples and oranges. Either we are looking at a sitting at a table setup for both PC and consoles or we're looking at couch/HT setup. For both PC wins. Have you looked at console graphics up closely? Even on X1 and PS4 everything looks muddy compared to PC on top of fact that consoles are still struggling to pull of steady 30 or 60fps. So in the sitting/table situation with a PC sized monitor PC wins not a big suprise there. Now let's move to the couch. The only things thats easier about a console is the UI designed for consoles but even there there is Steams Big Picture which can be entirely operated by controller and the need to keep the PC updated and install the games. Otherwise there is nothing so def not light years ahead I wouldn't even call it ahead. You can use either mouse/keyboard with a PC or original PS3/4 etc controllers. Most PC games support them natively within the game so no trouble there. On consoles on the other hand you're forced to play with controllers all the time.

Now let me ask you this, why would you spend all that money on great HT gear and then buy a cheap 400 dollar avg "pc" box and defend it against an actual high end gaming rig? For people who spend 10-20k (not saying you did) on their HT and are into gaming consoles shouldn't even be an option. The only reason I own consoles is because I'm forced to to play the some of the exclusives and to play with some friends.

EDIT: Forgot the obvious, much higher resolutions (ingame as in textures sound etc) as well as resolutions itself up to 4k if you're going for a high end rig, possibity to upgrade rig, not depending on sony/ms for every patch codec and format

And in case it wasn't clear. The PC is connected to the Beamer/Tv in the couch scenario

Edited by sevkpaul

I highly doubt your PC has better sound than 99% of the peoples home theaters on this forum ;)

Have a look at this:

I must say that it is meaningless. No list of equipment used is provided. In addition though not connected through the higher end audio I have, I did notice that the volume changed between the clips and was louder on the Xbox clips. Perhaps it was my connection but that alone tricks the listener in the favor of the louder device.

For some reason, and I see it all the time, people assume that the PC is on a desk with computer speakers, nothing could be further from the truth. It is just as easy to connect a PC to a high end AV setup as it is a console is, a HDMI out for V and the audio can be ported in any number of ways.

I tried to keep personal opinion out of my comments. I play both console and PC in different rooms on different setups. I still stand by my comment that I have no intention of buying a next gen console. There is nothing wrong with them if that is what you favor but there are other options too. One day when that kid on Craigslist has to sell either his PX or Xbox next gen at a big loss, then I may consider it but as I do already have a gaming PC, it renders the discussion moot for me.

This is an old battle rearing it's head. There is more strife than clarity when this topic comes up and it was not the question asked at the start of this thread in which the CODECS for AUDIO are mentioned, not game play.

Dodge, Chevy, Ford.

All sides have supporters and detractors and when personal preference is involved, trying to "convert" another party to your point of view is a hard thing to do with much more heat than light being generated.

Have a look at this:

that has nothing to do with what I said. Lol I was talking about MOST people computer speakers setups don't hold a candle to most of THIS FORUMS home theater systems. I'd take bio shock on ps3 on my projection based cinema home theater anyday over a PC with some Klipsch pro media setup or similar.

Okay, I agree with what you first said but you should keep in mind that the actual sound quality of a console will not be as good as the sound quality of a PC for most, if not all, games.

Agree to disagree I guess :rolleyes:

No let's not. :D

Do you not see it?

Now imagine this on a large screen or TV. PC with a higher and more stable framerate than the PS, with a higher resolution if you have the rig for it but even at 1080p it's easy to tell.

What convenience were you talking about? Were you aware of the fact that a lot of people play the same games you play on consoles on PC with the same controller on the same device (tv/beamer) when you commented?

Im very aware of the PC world and gaming on it, In fact I would have never said what I said out of the blue. If you disagree with me then we agree to disagree. By the way that video is really close. So not sure what your pointing out (certainly not a slam dunk). In fact the motion on the ps4 looks a tad better imo.

Edited by reference_head

Have a look at this:

I must say that it is meaningless. No list of equipment used is provided. In addition though not connected through the higher end audio I have, I did notice that the volume changed between the clips and was louder on the Xbox clips. Perhaps it was my connection but that alone tricks the listener in the favor of the louder device.

For some reason, and I see it all the time, people assume that the PC is on a desk with computer speakers, nothing could be further from the truth. It is just as easy to connect a PC to a high end AV setup as it is a console is, a HDMI out for V and the audio can be ported in any number of ways.

I tried to keep personal opinion out of my comments. I play both console and PC in different rooms on different setups. I still stand by my comment that I have no intention of buying a next gen console. There is nothing wrong with them if that is what you favor but there are other options too. One day when that kid on Craigslist has to sell either his PX or Xbox next gen at a big loss, then I may consider it but as I do already have a gaming PC, it renders the discussion moot for me.

This is an old battle rearing it's head. There is more strife than clarity when this topic comes up and it was not the question asked at the start of this thread in which the CODECS for AUDIO are mentioned, not game play.

Dodge, Chevy, Ford.

All sides have supporters and detractors and when personal preference is involved, trying to "convert" another party to your point of view is a hard thing to do with much more heat than light being generated.

I have ALWAYS been a console gamer, starting with a sega master system, so they are embedded in my life. I also like how they (ps3 now) integrate easily into my home theater setup. Theres nothing like playing any fps in full uncompressed surround sound. Now, having said that, I have been researching gaming pcs and am considering putting together a package. I have never owned a computer so this is long overdue I guess, and the interchangeability and customization for systems is very similar to HT building. My research suggests graphics wise through a monitor pcs easily beat even the new gen consoles, though through a tv there may be lag issues as the games can run so fast (depending on the hardware of course). Audio wise I arent really sure, but headphones vs HT are 2 very different things. I dont have the room to have a pc and desk setup in my ht room so its likely going to be 2 different setups which is how I think they should be compared. Pc for graphics, speed and upgradability on headphones on a desk or new gen consoles for integration, ease of use and KILLER audio. Obviously like anything it will be how much money and how well the whole system works together that will be the real story.

ah, let them play....here is more kindling....

Diablo 3 PS3 vs. Diablo 3 PC????

right now ROS isn't coming out until Aug and the PC is having all kinds of fun with Loot 2.0! i really like the online play with the PS3, it's the first game EVER on the ps3 i played multiplayer. i actually did it on accident, i was a level 60 before i even noticed it. i was just messing around and have been playing multiplayer ever since.

oh, anyone getting 3 EVGA Titans to run SLI?????