Difference between Crown D45/D60/D75

I sent Dr. Who message regarding the Op amps,

On the other hand, it seems Black Gate isn't making or Soniccraft is no longer caring the N/33's and they only have a small amount of the N/100s. Do you think the standards would be worth the update. Oh crap I just realized this could turn into a capacitor argument.

I sent Dr. Who message regarding the Op amps,

On the other hand, it seems Black Gate isn't making or Soniccraft is no longer caring the N/33's and they only have a small amount of the N/100s. Do you think the standards would be worth the update. Oh crap I just realized this could turn into a capacitor argument.

The whole hobby is a "capacitor argument." There are other caps you could research and try. The whole nature of these mods is a dynamic process. What happened 6 years ago will probably not be what happens today. You have to roll with it.

Got it, well at least I have a d45 on the way. So I guess first things first is get it hooked up and give it some good listening. So see what we have to begin with.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

U100A-D Replace with Quad OpAmp Texas Instruments TL 084 Mouser# 595-Tl084CN Quad OpAmp 14 pin DIP (1 required).

Looks like they offer a couple allternatives to this one,

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tl074.pdf

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tl054.pdf

The 74 is recommended for HI-FIDELITY. After doing some reading the 74 is low noise, sounds likes better for pre amps. Looks like the 54 may be in order. But then again at 2.50 a piece I don't know if I can swing the pricey of a upgrade.

I would take a pass on the TLO74 it is not a great sounding chip. For decades now I have listened to a lot of SOTA chips from plastic packages to ceramics and I can say that the plastic standard TLO81 when pulled down into class A sounds special. I like the French made one I think the manufacturer is Thompson but I could be wrong on the name I will check and get back. Best regards Moray James.

nope the TLO84 is a quad the 81 is a single. the 84 may be very similar to an 81 but I have never listened to a quad I don't much like duals singles take up more real estate but sound better with way less noise. You can try pulling down the 84 but I will have to ask for some advice on that not sure about how much heat a quad package can dissipate. This is why I like to work on Haflers B&K and some of the Adcoms since they have so much more space available and are some of the most modified products in the market for good reasons and there is so much available support for them. They are like buying a Toyota Supra to hot rod.You can buy boards and all manner of mods. Have at your Crown and see what you can do with it. I believe that the best mods start with the best circuits and that buys you more than parts will. After that projects need to be properly voiced and very subtle tweaks will often make for astounding differences. Voicing is a real black art. If you are anywhere near St. Louis go visit John Hillig at Musical Concepts / Musical Design John is a great guy and designs very fine amplifiers. Have a listen he has been at it a long long time and has learned a lot of tricks over the decades. You are not likely to Equal John's work any time soon and the quality of sound will not fail to impress you. DIY is well and good but I think that unless that is your primary hobby buying quality work is a much more satisfying way to spend you money and time. There are lots of Speaker DIY things you can do to entertain you for years and years that you would be very hard pressed to find at anything like affordable in the market. Focus your resources as best you can to maximize results. Have fun with the Crown I will get back with info on the TLO84 chip. Best regards Moray James.

even if you go with the parts list from 2008

I was thinking this could be a starting point, after time I could find a better replacement for the op amp, which I am having the good Dr. take a look at it now.

I will say Crown was very quick to email the schematic, I emailed them last night, and it was in my inbox by 7 am here.

I will say with my first impression, I am impressed with little amp. The highs and mids are more noticeable then they were when just using the Crown commtech 200. I am excited for this new journey, and will start a new thread once I do get around to modding this, but first some listening before the mods.

Duder: what is the rail voltages that your TLO84 run on in the Crown? With a 15 volt rail on the TLO81 I am using 4.7K pull down resistor you might want to adjust that a little for a four pack device as it might not dissipate quite as much heat as the single chip package. Pulled down into class A operation the device sounds much better. Best regards Moray James.

PS: you should check to see of your transformer is shielded and if not wrap the transformer with copper foil and ground the foil. That will significantly reduce noise pollution inside your very small Cabinet. Just another reason why larger cabinets make for a better mod choice. You have a greater ability to isolate your supply.

Yes as a active system with this on my horns and the crown comm tech on the bass bin.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

I see.

Before you begin the mod, it would be great if you get a chance to listen as a full range amp. Most of the music is in your "bass bin". I think the mods made a nice improvement in the low end of the D45, and the clarity qualities can't be evaluated in a bi-amp situation like that. Even connecting to bookshelf speakers would make it possible to gain a reference point.

Good luck! :D

The good thing is, I am at a point with enough gear to try different variables. Since you mentioned it, I may have to run this on my Heresies, Drifts, and I was even thinking of using one output on the hf and one output on the lf with the speakers I am running now(a vertical bi amp as some would call it). So I should get a good evaluation of this nice little amp. Gosh I love high efficient speakers, so loud so detailed and so little power.

what is the rail voltages that your TLO84 run on in the Crown?

If I remember its around +/- 10 volts

wrap the transformer with copper foil and ground the foi

Thats a good idea, would aluminum work too.

yes it would and I have used it but there is a caveat though making an electrical connection to aluminum foil is difficult. With copper foil you can make a wrap with an overlap solder the seam and solder on a grounding wire with ease. Will get back about the pull down resistors. Best regards Moray James.