Subwoofer finishes on mdf

bombertodd

I'm thinking about building a sub or two to go with my RF82II's. I'm leaning towards the Dayton Ultimax knockdown kits. I've been trying to decide on a vinish. I see Duratex, veneer, paint, etc... I'm not great at painting, never used veneer and I'm not expierenced in woodwork, and I've never seen Duratex in the flesh.

I'd like to finish the mdf boxes with veneer to match my speakers but I cannot find a matching veneer. Duratex looks interesting but I'm not sure if will look great in my living room (happy wife = happy life), and I don't think I want to go down the paint road.

Any thoughts or experience on the matter? Trying to learn about options. Thanks.

I bet you would know Duratex if you saw it. Think of a smallish guitar amplifier, the ones with a handle on top, with black textured paint. Many like it because it is easy to apply with a standard paint roller, it covers a lot of flaws because it it thick, and it has some sound deadening properties because it is somewhat rubberized. It's relatively expensive per gallon.

You say you don't want to go down the paint road, but paint isn't so bad, and a gallon is relatively cheap. You apply a coat, lightly sand, another coat, etc., until you get a look that you want. They apply poly if you want, again with a roller, then you're done. It's not furniture grade, but it will look better than you think, and the flat or semi-gloss black will make the sub blend into the background.

Since all I've done to my DIY speakers (about the same size as a typical sub) is paint them flat black, I'll leave others to comment on veneer.

First let's put this out, your speakers are not veneered. They are vinyl wrapped with something that has a wood grain print on it. It can be bought places if you wanna go for an exact finish.

Now, veneer. Haven't tried it yet but I hope to in the future. Looks fun.

Duratex. I have done all my subs in it. In the home theater behind the falsewall my wife didn't care obviously. But when I was building them

She said she kinda liked the finish. So when I built my upstairs subs I asked if it was ok and she said yes. A gallon is expensive at like 70$ shipped. However I have done two layers on 4 18" subs and two horn subs and still prolly have 30% of it left.

You say you don't want to go down the paint road, but paint isn't so bad, and a gallon is relatively cheap. You apply a coat, lightly sand, another coat, etc., until you get a look that you want. They apply poly if you want, again with a roller, then you're done. It's not furniture grade, but it will look better than you think, and the flat or semi-gloss black will make the sub blend into the background.

Is "poly" a polyurethane clear coat? I'm interested in paint, but everything I've ever painted hasn't turned out great. It probably doesn't help that I live in a desert that has wind everyday. I am willing to keep paint in consideration.

First let's put this out, your speakers are not veneered. They are vinyl wrapped with something that has a wood grain print on it. It can be bought places if you wanna go for an exact finish.

Now, veneer. Haven't tried it yet but I hope to in the future. Looks fun.

Duratex. I have done all my subs in it. In the home theater behind the falsewall my wife didn't care obviously. But when I was building them

She said she kinda liked the finish. So when I built my upstairs subs I asked if it was ok and she said yes. A gallon is expensive at like 70$ shipped. However I have done two layers on 4 18" subs and two horn subs and still prolly have 30% of it left.

I've looked into real wood veneer and it looks super expensive, unless I'm looking in the wrong places. I'd like a vinyl veneer like my speakers if I could find it.

Has anyone bought the 1 quart sample of Duratex? I wonder if it will cover two 19" cube boxes.

Has anyone bought the 1 quart sample of Duratex? I wonder if it will cover two 19" cube boxes.
it might. hard to tell for sure though.
I'd like a vinyl veneer like my speakers if I could find it.
heres a quick search:

http://www.decibelhifi.com.au/vinyl-wrap-black-ash/

actually thats the only place i can find the black. parts express used to carry it but now only have cherry and walnut. weird

• Like 1

I'm not so sure Duratex would be so wife friendly. It's more like the finish you see on speakers at a concert.

As for how far it stretches. It stretches a LONG way. I have a gallon I bought a long time ago. I have covered a 2X12 guitar amp, the tops and sides of two KPT-904's, and most of the trunk of a beetle, and I still have 1/2 gallon left. I swear I think there is a little leprechaun refilling it.

If you want it to be more wife friendly, I'd go the paint or veneer route.

• Like 1

Thanks Mustang Guy. From the pictures it looks like a good simple solution but not too wife friendly. I'm actually leaning towards paint after reading today for a while. I guess I can always try to veneer or Duratex if the paint sucks.

Ryan, thanks for the link. How do they ship 4'x8' sheet of veneer? I'm guessing they can be rolled up?

All those years I could have taken woodshop in high school.... :(

Rolled in a box. Simply unroll it and place some light weight on the ends and let it sit for a bit and it relaxes. Super easy.

I cut mine with a razor knife (rough cut) then once adhered a combo of a router with flush trim it and that same razor knife. Sharp 90 degree edges with some patience.

Edited by ryanm84
  • Like 1

Is "poly" a polyurethane clear coat? I'm interested in paint, but everything I've ever painted hasn't turned out great. It probably doesn't help that I live in a desert that has wind everyday. I am willing to keep paint in consideration.

Yes, poly is polyurethane, my apologies for the lazy short hand.

The polyurethane comes in satin, gloss and semi-gloss. It can be brushed, rolled, or sprayed. I recommend stay away from spray, brush-on does a real nice job. You apply 2-3 coats depending on what the manufacturer recommends, with sanding between coats. I re-finished my CF-4's with satin, and it brought the finish to a factory look without a high gloss.

post-58280-0-04940000-1402199406_thumb.j

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

Google turned up with nothing, but has anyone ever seen (or have pics) of a sub that was wallpapered? Wife thought of it after seeing a carbon fiber sub (

).

I found some inspiration of wall paper on MDF, file cabinets, and kitchen cabinets:

http://www.avforums.com/attachments/headboardnolighton2-jpg.138008/

http://slowmama.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Fabric-Cabinet.jpg

http://dartbits.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/modern-minimalist-kitchen-decorating-ideas-with-white-kitchen-cabinet-and-black-sleek-kitchen-island-with-white-countertop-beside-cool-wallpaper.jpg

http://paperclipsandplaypens.com/images/011210_05.jpg

(sorry about the links, I'm not allowed to post pictures yet?!?!)

Maybe I can talk her into dressing up the subs to be "focal points" of our living room. Then step two will be to talk her in bigger subs since they are the focal point of the living room..... :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

You can find all sorts of online discussions about applying veneer.

Here is an eBay seller that has various veneers and sizes. I've purchased 3 different walnut sheets and they were all awesome.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/jsowoodproducts/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

And here is another site

http://www.birchwoodbest.com/doorskins.php

I will also state that I used cloth to cover a wall in my son's bedroom when he was a little guy. 30 some years later and it is still in good shape. I believe it would be more difficult on a speaker, HOWEVER?