RF-7 SOUND MODS

Awesome! Congrats! Now you'll be up all night listening to your "new" speakers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was trying to listen to some music but, the family is watching a movie now, 12 Years A Slave and then I Frankenstien to finish the night. It is all good. :D

Dean, you are saying I am missing 30%, lol. At least now I have a better Ideal of what a mod or XO change can do for the SQ of the speakers. I have not forgot what you told me. It is not what you hear, it is more like what you don't hear. :P

Edited by derrickdj1
  • Like 2

Looks like you're using different parts than when you did mine.

I can no longer properly source the Kimbers (quit making them) and Auricaps cost more than most are willing to pay for. The Clarity ESA are in the same ballpark quality of construction-wise and they sound good.

"Dean, you are saying I am missing 30%, lol."

The 30% number was the number Carl tossed out there earlier in the thread as the number representing the level of additional improvement gained by changing out the capacitors and resistors. I think it's hard to quantify -- but the difference is pretty dramatic. What I heard launched a business.

Dean Is correct, I made that number up and have no statistical data to back my claims. To me, the resistor mod made a dramatic difference in the speaker. Going the rest of the way made a difference too but I didn't think it was near as drastic. Most of this stuff is subjective anyways.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

I don't have a soldering iron to perform the resistor mod.  Are there any inexpensive options that could be recommended?

Get an iron and practice a little.  Even with the cost of an iron plus the resistors, there's not a better bang for the buck mod you can do to these speakers.

• 1 month later...