LaScala Casters

eth2

I would like to put casters on the LaScalas I am refinishing. They will be garage speakers or used outside for parties, sitting on the deck, etc. Any advice as to what type (flat bottom vs pegs), size of wheels, composition of wheels, etc.?

Thanks

• Like 1

You might consider making some custom dollies. Ones where the bottom hatch sits in a recess. You don't want to put the units down directly on wet grass even with castors mounted to the bottom.

I'm thinking that you do need large diameter wheels for the grass.

OTOH, if you're bumping them up steps to the deck (are you?) maybe the dolly would come loose. You'll think of something.

I use some painted Masonite pads for the carpet so the load doesn't dimple the carpet. You might need something like that on the grass.

WMcD

Edited by William F. Gil McDermott

I would like to put casters on the LaScalas I am refinishing. They will be garage speakers or used outside for parties, sitting on the deck, etc. Any advice as to what type (flat bottom vs pegs), size of wheels, composition of wheels, etc.?

Thanks

I hope this helps you out

On a previous speaker build of very heavy speakers I devised a simple system to move the speakers

To briefly describe what I did - Each speaker cabinet was cleverly turned into a trolley when tilted and looked normal at rest ( I am a mechanical engineer by trade )

Some photos

First I purchased a suitable a pair of wheels that can handle the weight per cabinet

Then bent one section to allow great holding power of two cabinet surfaces when fitted

post-57741-0-55540000-1402377005_thumb.j

Then I screwed the wheels on the cabinet from back and under side

post-57741-0-65860000-1402377272_thumb.j

The wheels only engage when the cabinet is tilted

Cheers

• Like 1