Klipsch logo badges - changes over the years

Hmmm.  So I have 2 answers - both "yes" and "no".  Not sure how to interpret.  Does this mean there are 2 versions of those that are 1/2" x 3"?  

- One that is etched (either engraved or laser etched) with paint in the etching.

- And a second that is merely painted on a flat copper plate?

My single original badge is like the first one.  The one I got from eBay is like the second description.  I don't have really deep background about Klipsch but have never seen the second one on any speakers before, which is what lead me to question its authenticity.

So.  Are there 2 versions of the badge, with the same logo, but created with a different process?  1 simply painted and the other with paint applied in the voids left from some engraving or laser etching process?

"no , the laser logos are not painted on , it is a different process"

It looked and felt like vinyl ink screened on the copper plate, what process do you think was used?

I own a pair of Heresy speakers with the laser logo - you cant rub it off like you would for vinyl ink -

• Moderators
Randyh, on 12 Feb 2015 - 9:50 PM, said:

djk, on 12 Feb 2015 - 01:41 AM, said:

It looked and felt like vinyl ink screened on the copper plate, what process do you think was used?

I own a pair of Heresy speakers with the laser logo - you cant rub it off like you would for vinyl ink -

OK had me wondering, never really looked at them closely.

It looks like it's stamped or laser etched ?    The letter are recessed and painted or something in the recess. If I put my finger nail in the letter it feels recessed, you can feel the edge of the letters.

I tried to take a pic to show it in the reflection of the light.............ok i'm lazy I didn't feel like opening a tripod so this is it

post-9700-0-40560000-1423802263_thumb.jp

Randyh, on 12 Feb 2015 - 9:50 PM, said:

djk, on 12 Feb 2015 - 01:41 AM, said:

OK had me wondering, never really looked at them closely.

It looks like it's stamped or laser etched ?    The letter are recessed and painted or something in the recess. If I put my finger nail in the letter it feels recessed, you can feel the edge of the letters.

I tried to take a pic to show it in the reflection of the light.............ok i'm lazy I didn't feel like opening a tripod so this is it

these are not the laser logo - but the other picture is -no recess or letter edges or paint - flush -cant scratch it off -I dont know how its made-

speakers-2.JPGIMG_20130902_141033_433_zpsa6addcd2.jpg

Edited by Randyh

• Moderators

Yes that looks different, I'v seen them before but not close.

I do some glass etching ( and other things ) by sandblasting, it could be something similar to just change the surface, it just would change the texture without any ink to see the pattern ?

But I have no idea really how they did that, that's just one way but I have never tried copper, I don't know if it would turn out like that ?

Yes that looks different, I'v seen them before but not close.

I do some glass etching ( and other things ) by sandblasting, it could be something similar to just change the surface, it just would change the texture without any ink to see the pattern ?

But I have no idea really how they did that, that's just one way but I have never tried copper, I don't know if it would turn out like that ?

could they heat stamp it -

• Moderators

I have no idea, that or maby chemicals to change the surface ? 

This is how sandblasting it changes the surface on glass, it can be done finer, coarser, lighter or darker. This was just this pattern (font) for the letter my wife picked out, it can get much finer and more detailed lines. It looks different on different surfaces like metal or plastic...... I should have wiped the glass clean, it was done and stuck in the back of a china cabinet and never used, my wife just liked the color of the glass really. :huh:

I don't know, being copper there are probably many different ways to do that ?

post-9700-0-15720000-1423807732_thumb.jp

Edited by dtel

I was a member prior to 2013 but had to rejoin due to a digital shuffle here sometime during that year. I was elated reading this thread as it reinstated my lost confidence in common sense. Sure is gratifying to find so many who are aware of the hype in audio. As the late Mr. Klipsch said, 'What this country needs is a good 10w amplifier. He seemed quite partial to the Brooks.  I've had the inimitable pleasure of meeting Mr. Klipsch many times on a one to one basis. The story can be found here. http://www.ln271828.net/exponent.htm

Can't attach the pin and tie clip photos; they are in my gallery and the stories are in the above link. I realize these are not logos but couldn't find anywhere else here to make mention of them other than starting a new thread. Your understanding will be appreciated.

Robert (Felix the Kat)

• Like 2

My original badge is the one dtel shows in post #47.

Now back to my original question.  I bought 2 heresy's but only one had a badge.  I bought what was adervertised on eBay as a klipsch badge and showed a picture very similar.  But when I got it, there was no "etching" filled with paint or anything like it.  Rather it was just paint on a plain piece of copper.  I have never seen one like that, but I'm no expert.

MY ORIGINAL QUESTION is;  Is my eBay purchased badge a fake or did Klipsch make them like I describe; "just paint on a plain piece of copper"?

My original badge is the one dtel shows in post #47.

Now back to my original question.  I bought 2 heresy's but only one had a badge.  I bought what was adervertised on eBay as a klipsch badge and showed a picture very similar.  But when I got it, there was no "etching" filled with paint or anything like it.  Rather it was just paint on a plain piece of copper.  I have never seen one like that, but I'm no expert.

MY ORIGINAL QUESTION is;  Is my eBay purchased badge a fake or did Klipsch make them like I describe; "just paint on a plain piece of copper"?

The Klipsch badges on my 1993 Forte II speakers look and feel like "just paint on a plain piece of copper". There is no etching or relief around the lettering.

HTH,

Mark
Edited by cincymat

• 11 months later...

I have now have new cane grills without logos on my 1975 cornwalls and wish to remove my pie logos from my 1975 black grills to move them over.   Man they are glued on well.    Any tips on how to get them off without destroying the black grills or the badges?   It looks like they are plastic, but not sure.       I actually bought a pair of pies off of ebay the other day, but they are a good deal smaller than OEM, and I decided I would rather have the originals on the new grills.    Any thoughts on removing them?

Edited by ducati2

Amazing that we are facing the "counterfeit" problems. The "original" metals were etched and painted with lacquer, then finished with clear lacquer. Application was by glue. Hot glue rarely seen. Most all (prior to 1990+) for the vintage were applied with contact cement (which is why the originals are difficult to remove, or have a "yellowish" residue.

Klipsch "badges" are one of the most counterfeited items for Klipsch. Alterations in the logo design, badge dimensions, etc. It has become almost impossible to tell the difference. I have complete sets of the originals, but... it's to the point that I cannot tell the difference, if any. For the vintage Heritage, one would be hard pressed to determine originals vs cheap knock-offs. Sad but true. It's driven by the market for the badges, emblems, etc.

Wish i could be of more assistance, but.... times are changing.

I can examine badges vs the confirmed originals, but it's not worth it anymore. Sad but true, the eCrap cheapo's are that good.

That being said... badges that are still attached to used grills... well then... likely they are originals...

Edited by Groomlakearea51