Stephens Truesonic

Let me clarify myself. Sitting on the table, the 103LX, and the EV 15WK, for that matter, should read in the 3-4 ohm range. The horn loading increases the impedance when the speaker is in use.

I tried putting 16 ohm Altec 515s in my Shorthorns once. You could barely hear them.

Let me clarify myself. Sitting on the table, the 103LX, and the EV 15WK, for that matter, should read in the 3-4 ohm range. The horn loading increases the impedance when the speaker is in use.

I tried putting 16 ohm Altec 515s in my Shorthorns once. You could barely hear them.

I have a pair of perfect, early EV 15W-K woofers, but I need the correct early Tru-Sonic woofers for a friend.

Thanks... Roger

• 2 years later...

I have a question for Captain Bob or anyone: is there a way to lower the impedance of a speaker?   I am new to all this and have a 8-ohm Trusonic 150 Fr I put in a corner horn and the results are not as good as hoped.  The enclosure is not a stock Khorn but very much like it  The speaker sounds a bit muffled and the bass is hard to find.  I was wondering if the problem was with the  impedance, of some other issue.  This is my first post and if I sound like ignoramus it is because I am.  Any advice would be most appreciated, and thanks in advance.  Dan from Pasadena

You can use a transformer to change the overall impedance presented, similar to how they are used with certain electrostatic or panel speakers that were otherwise notable amp-busters.  In those cases, the transformer was to raise the speaker's impedance, but the same principle applies if you're trying to lower it.

It's impossible to say if the bass issue is impedance related.  Chances are it's a speaker or speaker/room coupling issue. Further assessment is called for before implementing solutions, me thinks.  

Thanks Ski Bum.  I replaced the Trusonic 150 FR with an EV 15 Wk and got a noticeable improvement in performance.  These are kind of hard to find, so I don't think I will build a second enclosure unless one comes up.  Tom, these Trusonics do sound old and tired, if that was your point.  If you had something else in mind, I'm too stupid to figure it out.  But I have bought a book from Amazon on speaker cabinets and hope to be a  lot smarter in the future.