SW 115 started rattling

sevkpaul

So the title pretty much says it. My SW 115 has started rattling. I removed the backplate and held it while running a scene that I noticed the rattle with. There is no rattle unless the backplate is connected/screwed to the body of the sub which makes me think that's where the rattle comes from. But when I shake the backplate (or the sub for that matter) I hear nothing. Will try to get a sound sample later. Bought the sub in Germany so I'd like to avoid having to ship it if I can but the at the same time I have no idea what it could possibly be.

The only thing I can think of is that the sub is simply running too hot. Gain is on 10-11 o clock position and Audyssey set Bass to -10.5 db (normally I try set the gain so that Audyssey sets it to +/-3 db but I forgot and haven't had time yet to remeasure). It only seems to rattle on the very low end.

Any help is appreciated.

• Like 1

Sounds like something is loose. The SW 115 has a slot port and not one of those round ports with the grill attachment which can rattle. Most likely something in the amp. Call Klipsch as see what they say. Some of the SW 115 owners may chime in on this thread.

Edited by derrickdj1
  • Like 1

I've heard one other person a say they had a rattle. when you pull the plate amp away from the housing, you are probably pulling away the part it is rattling... wiring that is vibrating against the plate or other internal component. The plate itself might be moving against

I personally have zero noise at any frequency.

I personally have zero noise at any frequency.

Right so the sub should be able to handle the settings I'm running it at correct?

EDIT: I'm just trying to figure out if I'm doing something wrong but I don't think I'm "abusing" the sub.

Edited by sevkpaul

• Moderators

Hope it is something lose and rattling and not the driver cone flapping back and forth from being overdriven, a rattle can be fixed not enough output causing you to overdrive requires a bigger/better sub.

From your description of settings, I dont think it is being over driven. @ 11-12 o clockyou are at 50% gain. I have mine set at about 65% gain but I cross over at 50hz so my sub only delivers low frequencies.

Its definetely possible it was over driven at some point, but that should change to no rattle when the plate is taken off. Did you notice any wiring flapping around when youtook off the amp?

If you were overdriving the sub, I think it would be worse with the rear plate removed. You're basically running the sub in open air and it isn't using the box to dampen the movement of the driver. Is it more of a buzzing? If you have an air leak at the rear plate, you can use a short hose held up to your ear to isolate the exact area of the leak. Just pass one end around the perimeter of the plate until you find the area that's the loudest. How did the gasket look when you had it off?

Gain is on 10-11 o clock position and Audyssey set Bass to -10.5 db (normally I try set the gain so that Audyssey sets it to +/-3 db but I forgot and haven't had time yet to remeasure)
you are within calibration so it is set up properly and not running it hot at all sounds like. now, you could be overdriving that sub easily if its in to large of a space and you are listening at very high levels. anything is possible.

No the sub starts rattling at very reasonable listing levels so def not overdriving it. At this point I'm also pretty sure that it has nothing to do with the backplate but the chassis/body of the sub. That rattling sounds wooden. I talked to the German distributor and he was pretty sure what it was. If you reach into the sub and then down (from the back) there's a small black bracket/bar. Something like this (just the wood):

http://www.stair-rodsdirect.co.uk/assets/images/products/full/bracket%20brass%20front3.jpg

That's the part that's supposedly causing the noise.

He recommend to angle the sub upwards and pour a special kind of resin down there and leave it to dry for 24h. Gave it a try, will report back in a day. :D

It's my first "big" sub in my own living room/HT so I can't really compare it to anything directly. The only thing that I heard so far that sounded bigger better etc was custom built stuff but I don't have the time/knowledge/space for that (or space for second 115 for that matter) so I'm happy with it. I would like to give SVS PB Ultra 13 a try as well as a Seaton Submersive. Both of those are about 2000 so different price level. Haven't heard anything better for the price of the 115 so far. :)

I would like to give SVS PB Ultra 13 a try as well as a Seaton Submersive.
pb 13 ultra is a good sub but the submersive will put a spanking to it real quick. subversive is one of the best commercially available subwoofers out there. and man you get them in some purdy finishes.

I would like to give SVS PB Ultra 13 a try as well as a Seaton Submersive.
pb 13 ultra is a good sub but the submersive will put a spanking to it real quick. subversive is one of the best commercially available subwoofers out there. and man you get them in some purdy finishes.

Oh stop talking about it I can't buy one yet. :D But yes it's a very good looking sub on top of the power you get with it.

Do you know how it compares to a JTR Captivator?

They are both great subs but, I think the submersive has a slight edge. Rythmik FV 15 HP is also a monster of a sub for an ID company. The Rythmik, and SVS PB 13 Ultra are the only other ID sub that I would consider if I was not woof out, lol. The choice in subwoofers make the biggest difference in a HT by far.

• Like 1