Our venture into retirement with a Dedicated Home Theater

NBPK402

I got the screen moved forward about 1', and I also have the screen hinged for access. It turned out that we had the capability all along, but when it was installed wrong so it could not rotate properly. Now I need to find out what is needed to use some hydraulic struts to lift the screen up.

I also started to work on some new stackable amp racks that will also double as speaker stands for the new synergy style speakers.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

That top and bottom of each stackable will have 1/2" plywood that is 1" from the edge of the 4 uprights. I am planning on inserting a 1/2"x1/2". Strip of wood in the gap, and this will keep the different layers aligned. We will see how hard it is to keep these aligned. I might have to make a jig from what I have done so far to make sure everything will line up repeatedly.

I now have another project t to throw into the mix. I am attempting to build a 14 channel IcePower amp that will power my Atmos/Surround channels with 125w, and bi-amp my front 3 channels with 125w to the woofers, and 50w to the horns. This will all (hopefully it will fit) be inside my new amp. I am planning on using a nonworking power amp as a start, and will strip it down, and then install 8 amp modules to complete it.

• 2 months later...

Here are some mockup pics of the amp. The pic shows a 24v power supply which is not going to be used, and the amps will be in a little bit different colors fig. The top I plan to make out of plexiglass. I still haven't figured out what I should do with the front window or the buttons on the front panel either.f27dd49ccbe74c6d86dd15b923d992a7.jpg7297dfe0965b0be36086405e4680db68.jpgb7ccc250dccddc2d33358ae48218df7c.jpg8f04052b0553f6938ded8c815dcd5ed7.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you...the cabinet was made by a friend of mine who endured my directions without any drawings...built from the hip.[emoji4] At least now we have a model to work from, and also to compare to the one Chris is building when he gets his molds completed. I will bet his will sound even better than mine will when we get it tuned.

• 4 months later...
Today I listened to the v1 all mdf Synergy that we built...I was very surprised as to the bass output, but something didn't sound right...the horn sounded like there were veils that needed to be removed. My friend and I listed to various songs, and sometimes it sounded great, and at other times we heard resonances.

One song stood out from the others when we heard was best described as her smacking her lips when she speaks. Has anyone else ever heard this(we did not hear it on the other channel with LA Scala bass bins, and EV horns with EV DH1a drivers)?

When it came to the bass it appeared to go much deeper than the La Scalas setup and having a much warmer sound compared to the La Scalas. On the Dire Straits Brothers in Arms track the Man's Too Strong the Bass sounded much better than the La Scala did, and I was very impressed. The La Scala bass sounded tighter but was over powered by the Synergy bass. We are hoping after the tune is fine tuned the bass will not be overpowering the mids.

My friend is going to run REW on it again to see he can see what might be causing it to have this effect. We are thinking part of it might be we need to turn the gain down on the woofers as there are 2 compared to the La Scalas 1.

Conclusion so far is when it does something right it is really right, but at other times it needs something...

We will continue to work out the bugs, and report back as to what has happened. I will also continue to work on the new horn mod, but I will not be able to compare the two as we will be moving, and v1 will be left with a friend, but I think what we learn from this will help in getting the next one tuned better.

We all need a little reverb.  The world is not a perfect audio room and we are use some of the audio  abnormality.  To get rid of all of it will make the sound un-natural and not necessarily sound sound better.  Rooms need to fit a natural sound and not sterile.

We have some reverb, but it is on the verge of being too much... a fine line we are on. I believe my friends plans on adding diffusion in different areas to see how it works out, but we were both surprised on the Suzanne Vega song as we were both very very impressed on the reso.ution of the DH1A driver in the horn.

• Like 1