Our venture into retirement with a Dedicated Home Theater

NBPK402

As some of you know we have been making our 2 car garage into a HT since about the first of the year... Yesterday we got most of the drywall completed. I hope to be able to get the projector up for testing in the next week or two, and the screen material will hopefully arrive by the beginning of July. I picked up the extruded aluminum for our new screen walll on Wednesday... Our screen wall will be 15' wide for a scope screen. We will be using a SeymourAV XD 180" scope screen.

Our audio equipment plan so far is this:

The Denon 4520ci will be powering the heights, side surrounds, rear surrounds, and the Klipsch bass boxes. We have 3 JBL 2360a horns, and EVDH1 drivers (6ohm) which will be powered by 3 Topping "T" chip amps. Which leaves us with 3 spare channels... I am planning on trying the "T" chip amps also on the bass bins, and if they work well that way I will get 3 more of them to power all the channels (except the subs of course). The subs we are using are Danley DTS-10 SUPERSPUDS... One is under the second row seating, and the other will be going behind the AT screen, powered by a Yamaha P7000S pro amp. I have 2 pair of HIPs, and a pair of sr70s which will be used for heights, side surrounds, and rear surrounds. Crossovers will be 3 minidsps. I was planning on going with the 1/4 pie setup but it doesn't look like I will have the money to do that now.

The garage interior walls were all torn down and a new 2x4 inner wall was built for all the walls. We then stuffed the walls, and ceiling with insulation. The walls have 5/8" OSB with a 5/8" drywall, and a layer of green glue between them. The ceiling has hat channels, and 2 layers of 5/8" drywall and green glue between too. We also installed a subfloor with 5/8" OSB to cover the concrete floor. We have part of the soffits structure complete, and LED lights installed. All the walls will have fabric covering them with acoustic treatments behind them (it will be a while before we get it to that stage though). I am hoping we have enough cash to have carpet, and pad in the HT by the beginning of July. We have double solid core doors leading down a 6' long hallway to the HT room, and they will both have extra MDF layers, and seals all around the door. We have LED lights in the soffits for lighting, and blue LED rope style lighting for the perimeter of the room, and stairs. All of the lighting is controlled via home automation using Insteon lights, and outlets, and will be controlled via CQC software on a tablet (or phone).

This is the angle calculations for the room layout, but we will not be going with width channels... 20140226_135746_zpsb0e1cd4b.jpg

Under construction with some of the horns, and subs laying around.... 20140228_150354_zpsfaf25df7.jpg

This is what the plan was when we started and it is still pretty close... 20140308_121425_zpsf804920d.jpg

Door leading into the HT room... OurHTdoor_zps5d85f0c4.jpg

LED lights installed... 20140610_093342_zpsf406e1dc.jpg

• Like 1

Not Bad, Not To bad at all, I notice you could likely use another Jbl horn there, Not to worry, the wife came home with her state of the art Navi maps today, and feels she can get me their by noon sat, with third JBL ..........

I like the door.

• Like 2

Door leading into the HT room... OurHTdoor_zps5d85f0c4.jpg

On a side note.... Cool looking door....

Thanks, we started with a solid core wood door, and then took our old decking material to reface it. I was lucky enough to win a 1950s aluminum, and lucite door pull for it too. :) I am very happy with the way the door turned out so far. We still have a lot of touch ups to do once we get the major stuff done. :)

You'll love the Seymour 'scope screen. 'Scope is the way to go, IMO, because when filmmakers select 2.35 (or 2.2, 2.55, etc.), they expect the screen area and width to be greater than with standard 1.85 or 1.78 ....

• Like 1

Not Bad, Not To bad at all, I notice you could likely use another Jbl horn there, Not to worry, the wife came home with her state of the art Navi maps today, and feels she can get me their by noon sat, with third JBL ..........

I like the door.

:)

• Moderators

Love the door also, looks like it going to be a great room, from what you can see and what you listed it will be very impressive.

First class, it looks like a lot of work but in the end it will be special.

• Like 1

Love the door also, looks like it going to be a great room, from what you can see and what you listed it will be very impressive.

First class, it looks like a lot of work but in the end it will be special.

I hope it turns out nice. The reason we did the rustic door is to match the reclaimed wood in our sunroom/pond... Here is a picture of our sunroom/pond... Pond1_zps19ce762b.jpg The entry to the HT room is hidden off to the left side of the room. Eventually the floor will be all stone in the sunroom.

This a view from the second floor looking down at the pond...

20131225_154700_zpsa6a44243.jpg

Notice the tear drop shape? My wife calls it the "Pond of Tears" due to all the money to make it happen.

Edited by ellisr63
  • Like 1

Very cool, I thought I saw some rocks like a pond through the door but was thinking it was outside.

WOW very creative, I love it.

Originally it was outdoors, but my wife trains dogs for agility, and it was too much of a distraction... So it evolved into a 2 story sunroom. :)

my wife trains dogs for agility

if she trains them for MONEY maybe you can get some fish for the pond, and invite us over for a musical fishing derby. I'll shut up now … it does look cool.

The pond is stocked with Koi, and Goldfish now... I just hope that the subs don't collapse the pond!

• Like 1

That's going to be an amazing room sure.

Would have been nice to have some 904s like you do, but I am going to have to settle on the JBLs, and Klipsch speakers I have (much less expensive). :)

Would have been nice to have some 904s like you do, but I am going to have to settle on the JBLs, and Klipsch speakers I have (much less expensive). :)
i know where a trio of kpt-904 sits for 1800.
  • Like 1

i know where a trio of kpt-904 sits for 1800.

If only I would have known 6 months ago....Now there is no way I could get them.