Our venture into retirement with a Dedicated Home Theater

NBPK402

A few more pieces are on the way... I have yet another Yamaha P2500s, and 2 Yamaha P2075 amps on the way. This will mean i can go all balanced from the preamp to the power amps for all channels (once I get the balanced cables for the blocks on the Dirac, and get 3 new MiniDSP 2x4s for my crossovers). I have never run the P2500s amps on the horns as I feel it is way overkill (250wpc) so it will be interesting to see how the P2075 amps (50wpc) sound vs the old T-chip amps (25wpc). I am hoping that the Yamahas will be dead silent on the horns. Currently any his would be masked by my i3Nucs (which are going to be relocated into the side of my rack and covered by a false fabric wall panel. The changes in the amps have nothing to do with power output... I am just trying to get all Pro amps, and the Yamaha amps have a great reliability record, and sound great too. We will soon see how good they sound for the horns. :-)

• Like 1

Ok now, time to quit buying stuff and just enjoy, lol. :D:emotion-21:

Yup, this is going to be it for at least a year. The only updates I foresee period would be a Dolby Atmos/DTS-X preamp (with the ceiling speakers), and possibly a 4k projector for under $3k street with 3500 lumens, and being a bulbless LED. The last one is not likely for several years, so the system will be complete for a goodyear or two.

• 3 weeks later...

The 6 channel amp was lost by UPS after it was picked up, so this is what is happening now.

Consolidating amps in my rack as I am really cramped there right now. 

New system layout will be:

Krell Showcase 7.1
Lexicon NT512 5 channel amp for the Horns, and maybe 2 of the Atmos channels. 120wpc
Sherbourn 5/1500 5 channel amp for the bass bins, and the surrounds. 200wpc
(1) Yamaha P7000s for the subs 750wpc
Yamaha XM4080 for Atmos channels 80wpc
(3) MiniDSP 2x4 balanced
MiniDSP DDRC-88A
JBL Horns, and 1/4 pie bass bins
JBL  8340A for the surrounds, and eventually for the Atmos channels
Oppo 103
Darbee Darcet 5000
New bulb in the AE8000

Now I will be selling:
(4) Klipsch HIPs
(2) SR70 speakers (Klipsch Heresy clones)
(1) Denon 4520ci
(1) T chip amp
(4) Yamaha P2500s amps

System will now be complete until I locate 4 more 8340A speakers, and find the Atmos preamp i want (most likely some time next year. Time to get it hooked up, and tuned. Then finish off the rest of the panels.
Edited by ellisr63
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

My, your a busy Bee.

Im thinkin within two years your going to be at full Atmos, then inviting the neighbors will be a must :emotion-53:  :emotion-21:

I will wait until next year to move to Atmos... waiting on a AVP that does exactly what I want.

Here is what I worked on today..

Left and right main...
Dirac%20fl_zpsf56yo05g.png

Center channel...
Dirac%20center_zpsnrp4juqu.png

Subs...
Dirac%20DTS-10_zpsrfe4dzr8.png

JBL 8340A side surrounds...
Dirac%20JBL8340a_zpsg0tku96t.png

Klipsch HIPs (rear surrounds)...
Dirac%20HIPs_zpsbsq1q7ts.png
Edited by ellisr63
  • Like 3

Well I have given up on the balanced version of the MiniDSP 2x4, and it is being returned. I am not going to go into what happened other than to say with 112db horns it is not usable (too much background hiss). The only problem with the MiniDSP balanced is the hiss, and since it is background level hiss it doesn't go up with the volume. I would say that anyone that has speakers that are around 90db efficiency will most likely not have a problem. For me I only have a 100 wpch amp and it would be a shame to have it pushing the amp just to get it up to reference level (since the level would have to be attenuated by at least 15db, maybe more) when it should only take way less than 1 watt to hit reference levels. I just ordered a Xilica XP-4080 which will do all 3 channels in one unit plus my Danley subs. Xilica is also the Company that makes them for Danley. 

Hopefully next week will be a great week. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Time for the Lexicon, Yamaha XM4080, and the Sherbourn to go bye bye... Just snagged a Yamaha MX-A5000 11 channel amp for the setup. I will be most likely be getting the matching CX-A5100 preamp in a few months (waiting for it to be released). I hope to have enough cash by the end of the year to get a balanced GainClone amp with level controls to complete the setup. I currently have a new pair of JBL 8340As for the side channels, and a pair of 8320s for 2 of the Atmos channels (eventually I will get 2 more 8340As, and 2 more 8320s to complete the setup).

• Like 1

I think someone needs to remind him, that this is a Klipsch forum :P

So i will need to leave...since i have no Klipsch speakers left? I still have the 1/4 pies. :)

Haha No, I am just teasing. :D

I figured.  :D

• Like 1

Just snagged a BNIB pair of JBL 8340As for $450 with the $70 mounting brackets included and shipped... The first pair I snagged for $370 without the mounting brackets. They retail for $1100 a pair new. I also picked up a BNIB pair of the JBL 8320s for the ceiling for $372 shipped. So I paid about $1200 for $2700 in speakers all brand new. Not too bad (but still not a Youthman deal). Yesterday I picked up a 3 month old Yamaha MX-A5000 amp for $1600 with full manufacturer warranty too ($1300 savings over MSRP)... It has been a good week. :)

• Like 1

I watched Divergent with a friend the other night, and both of us noticed the improvements in sound since the Dirac was put into place. I noticed that when everyone was in the auditorium scene... I could hear the seat springs squeak. My friend noticed that he could now clearly hear the people when they were whispering too.

I watched Bourne Supremacy, and all kinds of little details were now revealed. I am very glad I made the jump from Audyssey to Dirac...def worth every penny I spent to change over the setup. Later this week i will be swapping out the last Klipsch pair with a new pair of 8340As, and a new 11 channel Yamaha amp... We will see if there is any difference in the sound.