Our venture into retirement with a Dedicated Home Theater

NBPK402

Do you just bypass Audyssey on your processor?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I don't have Audyssey anymore... I have a Krell Showcase 7.1 preamp in the system until my Yamaha CX-A5100 AVP arrives.

I added a new media player today to the setup, and it works great and is super small. I purchased this one... SolidRun CuBoxTV Quad Core 1ghz XMBC Media Center 

I have tried playing a few movies (1080P), and so far it works much better than my Celeron NUC for less than a 3rd of the price. It comes with Kodi preinstalled so i didn't have to buy memory, USB stick or a SSD which makes it a much better deal.

Edited by ellisr63
  • Like 2

SolidRun CuBoxTV

Is this like a htpc but smaller, maybe more like an Apple TV?  Can you stream movies from your home media server?

Yup it is like the Apple TV, but it runs Kodi as the OS/interface. I use it for: Streaming movies, music, watching tv (with HDHomerun tuners), and watching tv shows i have recorded. You can also watch Youtube videos on it. It is super small, and so far works flawlessly. I hooked it up and it was up and running in a few minutes. Basically all i did was tell it the location of my NAS, what timezone, and how many channels of audio to stream and it was done. It boots in 15 seconds, and only draws 1 watt when used.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well i got my new preamp earlier this week. The Yamaha is a great AVP! I still need to retune the whole room with Dirac since I have the JBLs for surrounds. Once I get that done I will need to get the 2 Atmos speakers installed, turn off the Dirac, and run YPAO. Once I have it tuned I will then copy the EQ settings for the Atmos channels, and then turn off YPAO, and turn Dirac back on. So far I am loving this preamp. The Android app is great too.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Very little progress...

I have 2 of the Atmos speakers mounted and one GOM box made for it so far. I also have a temporary theater sign in place. It will eventually be recessed behind a picture frame cutout in the door.

Daytime...

Theater%20Door_zpstdgfipjh.jpg

Nighttime...

HT%20sign%20at%20night_zpsbdebqylj.jpg

It is a glass blackboard that is edge lit with LEDs, and you use Neon markers to make the sign. The 2 pictures are different colors, as one of the options is to have it flash or roll through different LED colors.

• Like 1

I have a new addition coming next week... I am getting a Panamorph UH-480 Anamorphic Lense. I will then see if Anamorphic offers any advantages to the zoom method. Some reports say that it will give me 30% more lumens than I currently have using the zoom method...some say it is equivalent to switching to high mode on your projector from ECO mode. One advantage is being able to see subtitles when you watch 2.40 aspect ratio movies.

• Like 1

Today i got the Yamaha Pro 4 channel amp hooked up to the 2 atmos channels, tuned it and did some listening...so far I have to say it sounds great! The one thing I don't like is the fan noise on the 4 channel yamaha! Why did they have to make the fan be on constantly, when there other amps are dead silent since the fan only comes on when needed? A friend suggested I mod the fans on the amp to quiet them down. I am contemplating just disconnecting them and using an external fan with a temp sensor. I have had the amps on for over 4 hours and the amp is cold to the touch, and it is sitting directly on top of my P7000s sub amp. There is a ventilated spacer directly above the 4 channel amp, and there is zero heat coming from it.

• Like 1

Ellis, If the amp is not close to the listening area, don't worry about it.  I have my I Nukes next to the monitor and during movies, the fans are not able to be heard.  I did a fan mod on two of the amp and left the other two alone since one amp was returned to Berhinger a month after purchase.  I did not want to void the warranty, just in case.

• Like 1

Ellis, If the amp is not close to the listening area, don't worry about it.  I have my I Nukes next to the monitor and during movies, the fans are not able to be heard.  I did a fan mod on two of the amp and left the other two alone since one amp was returned to Berhinger a month after purchase.  I did not want to void the warranty, just in case.

The amp is about 10' from the MLP, and it is easily heard when the room is silent. It reminds me of the old style PC towers as far as noise. The amp is not under warranty anymore. The amp is 34db @ 5' away, and behind the GOM panels.

I just received my Panamorph UH 480 lens, and have it sitting on the shelf the projector is sitting on... Picture looks great and it is not even dialed in yet. Finally I can use Windows 7 on a 195" scope screen. :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I can attest to what the manufacturer claims now... Picture is brighter than using the zoom/focus method. My dark scenes also have more detail than we had before the change too. The biggie though is increased sharpness, and being able to get the last few inches of screen size (up 15" from using the zoom/focus).