Our venture into retirement with a Dedicated Home Theater

NBPK402

Ellis, I have not, and will not, tell the wife anything about your build, because as soon as she hears "Pond", Im going to find myself at HomeDepot before the week is out, I'll just let you do the grand tour, I already know im doomed.

• Like 3

Ellis, I have not, and will not, tell the wife anything about your build, because as soon as she hears "Pond", Im going to find myself at HomeDepot before the week is out, I'll just let you do the grand tour, I already know im doomed.

If you don't want to see the work in progress it is ok with me... You can do a drop and run if you like. Just let me know before you get here... Or maybe I should not say anything and if you want to see it I will show you and your wife. :)

• Like 1

How in the world did I miss this build??? Looks awesome. Can't wait to see it as it progresses along.

This is the first time that I have posted it here... The build thread so far was posted on the HTS, and AVS forums. I hope to get the drywall done this weekend (except for the garage door wall as we need to move the carpet in through the door.

Edited by ellisr63

If you don't want to see the work in progress it is ok with me... You can do a drop and run if you like. Just let me know before you get here... Or maybe I should not say anything and if you want to see it I will show you and your wife. :)

No, what I ment was we will take your tour, you know I just got to see the HT. it's kind of more like a surprise for the wife.

• Like 2

No, what I ment was we will take your tour, you know I just got to see the HT. it's kind of more like a surprise for the wife.

OK... Just remember it is a construction zone (a mess). :)

OK... Just remember it is a construction zone (a mess). :)

:emotion-21: 11am.

• Like 2

Very nice! Creative ideas too! That was a cool idea for using the old wood. How will you keep the humidity down in the sunroom? I won't be showing this to my wife either!

On the second floor we only have a skylight on the waterfall side of the pond So it only get about a 8x16 area of lighting. There is also a big pine tree in our neighbors yard that gives us some shade... Plus we have a 60x8100' (I think I have the size right) shade cloth that covers most of the back yard and is anchored off of the 2nd floor roof. We also have 3 windows that can be opened on the 2nd floor, vents to the outside in the roof, and a 10'wide window on the first floor that can be opened. So far 90% of the time it has been the coolest part of the house (first floor).

Edited by ellisr63

Ron, great day and one Hella home (Project), pleasure to meet up, your abode is everything you described, heard about it , all the way home.

Now get back to work.

Backhoe instruction I can see is in my future, I knew it.

next year, the inground pool, then I will think about her pond. :emotion-21::emotion-21::emotion-21::emotion-21::emotion-21:

Ron, great day and one Hella home (Project), pleasure to meet up, your abode is everything you described, heard about it , all the way home.

Now get back to work.

next year, the inground pool, then I will think about her pond. :emotion-21::emotion-21::emotion-21::emotion-21::emotion-21:

HI Mark, nice to meet you and the missus. When you decide to make a pond... I suggest you make it at least 4' deep (deeper is better) to prevent the Herons from stopping over for lunch in your pond (unless you have it covered from the sky so they don't see it). One other thing is make the sides straight up and down without any plant shelves, as they will provide a way for predators to get in the pond. On the pond we had before this one we had it covered from the sky, and we used flagstone hanging over the edge a couple of inches... No predator problem as if you got in the pond you were going to die swimming since there was only one way into the pond area and the same way out. (predators want more than one way in or out of an area :) I hope your wife likes the wine. .

• Like 1

Now get back to work.

HI Mark, nice to meet you and the missus. When you decide to make a pond... I suggest you make it at least 4' deep (deeper is better) to prevent the Herons from stopping over for lunch in your pond (unless you have it covered from the sky so they don't see it). One other thing is make the sides straight up and down without any plant shelves, as they will provide a way for predators to get in the pond. On the pond we had before this one we had it covered from the sky, and we used flagstone hanging over the edge a couple of inches... No predator problem as if you got in the pond you were going to die swimming since there was only one way into the pond area and the same way out. (predators want more than one way in or out of an area :) I hope your wife likes the wine. .

When your project is complete, perhaps a movie invite in a year or two, im not letting you off light here, (I'll bring the Goose)

Keep me informed as to your progress, and of course if there is anything I can do to support the build, just let me know what your looking for.

And I mean anything, bounce it off me, you just never know what I can find.

P.S. I wish to hear your response as to wearing "The Klipsch shirt" in public.

Edited by minermark
  • Like 2

Now get back to work.

When your project is complete, perhaps a movie invite in a year or two, im not letting you off light here, (I'll bring the Goose)

Keep me informed as to your progress, and of course if there is anything I can do to support the build, just let me know what your looking for.

And I mean anything, bounce it off me, you just never know what I can find.

P.S. I wish to hear your response as to wearing "The Klipsch shirt" in public.

I will let you know... :)

• Like 1

Today we got all the LED spots installed except for the ones that will be in the soffit above the screen, and the remaining OSB, and drywall for the hallway side of the room. I am hoping to get the front speakers mounted, soffit over screen completed, Upper soffit for rope lighting, and the screen frame completed this week. Once we have it that far I will be looking at getting some carpet so we can finish closing off the last wall.

Today we plugged in the blue LED rope lights and tried dimming them... We dimmed them all the way down to 5% with the Insteon Outlet dimmer and they dimmed flawlessly! No flickers at all. Looks like I will need to order some more for the rest of the room. These are the ones I got... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Flawlessly until I tried to turn them off. When they are off there is enough current draw to still see them on. Is there a way to cut the power to them 100%? I am not sure I want them all on all the time. The only other way I can think of is to have them plugged into a power strip but then I don't think the dimming will work anymore.

Edited by ellisr63

Today I tried splicing a 20w puck light in place to solve the probem... I tried one end on each leg and tried only splicing one side at each time and it still would not turn off. :(

Anyone have a suggestion as to what I can do to turn them off completely with the switch?

Today I got in the rest of the LED rope lights, the rest of the hardware for the frame including 2 hinges, ordered the eggplant carpet, and we got about 1/2 of the front stage completed. Since we moved the screen forward 2'... I am thinking I can make the area behind into a huge bass trap as it is 19' wide, and 4' deep with a ceiling height of about 7'.

What would be the best way (inexpensive too if possible) to do that? Should I just buy a lot of fiberglass insulation and stack it up? I want this to be a DIY project as cash is almost all gone for the HT room. We will also have the soffit 1' x 2' all around the room stuffed with acoustic absorbers and covered with fabric.

My friend also solved the LED dimmer rope lighting problem of it not turning off... The solution was to turn the light up to full brightness and then turn it off. t.gif.pagespeed.ce.t_qHhiLIdn.gif I guess it won't be too bad as when a movie is over you would most likely turn all the lights up to full brightness anyway for exiting the HT, and then turn them off when you exit. Now I will just have to figure out how to do a macro in CQC to turn the lights on and then off right away. t.gif.pagespeed.ce.t_qHhiLIdn.gif