Our venture into retirement with a Dedicated Home Theater

NBPK402

Today we got the screen in position, and got the first coat of paint on 3 walls and the ceiling. The La Scala bass bins will be raised up to match the center channel.

20140622_200035_zps91a3ac74.jpg

2nd row MLP.

20140622_200016_zpsf136cdd4.jpg

20140622_195253_zps4e9e3cfe.jpg

20140622_195230_zps097c9cc5.jpg

Edited by ellisr63

Yesterday I got the LED rope lighting up (I still need to get the end caps so I can trim it). Once I get the "T", 90 degree, and end caps I will work on the LEDs around the front screen. When the carpet is installed I will finish the last 3 zones of LED rope lights.

The LEDs look much better in person (these are taken with my Samsung Galaxy Note).

100%

20140624_092758_zpsc0424187.jpg

100%

20140624_092811_zpsaa92b533.jpg

50%

20140624_092930_zps68267998.jpg

5%

20140624_093043_zpsb82fd7ba.jpg

• Like 1

We will be working on it tonight for a few hours... I will post up some pictures of what we get done tonight. I think we are working on finishing the stage and the floor soffits that go from the door to the screen. I am contemplating having my audio equipment rack be a low profile one running along the soffit (about 2' off the floor). If it turns out to be a distraction with the LEDs I will put electrical tape on the LEDs or cover the whole bit with a removable acoustically transparent black material.

I def did not need a hot weather week now.... I just got all the insulation we have stuffed in the stage (I need one more bag to finish it off). Carpet will be installed in the morning, so today will be getting the room ready for the carpet guys. Room is completely painted black except for behind the screen, and the entrance hallway. Hopefully we will be moving equipment in after this coming weekend and start tuning the room.

Looks great Ellis. Thanks for the photojourney, I'm enjoying it. I wish I had the space to do what you're doing.

I never realized the stage would take up so much room... We originally planned on 4' for the area behind the screen but had to add 2' more to clear the Heresy HIPs since there was a load bearing header there... Then we had another 2' for the stage.

• Administrators

Love the door also, looks like it going to be a great room, from what you can see and what you listed it will be very impressive.

First class, it looks like a lot of work but in the end it will be special.

I hope it turns out nice. The reason we did the rustic door is to match the reclaimed wood in our sunroom/pond... Here is a picture of our sunroom/pond... Pond1_zps19ce762b.jpg The entry to the HT room is hidden off to the left side of the room. Eventually the floor will be all stone in the sunroom.

This a view from the second floor looking down at the pond...

20131225_154700_zpsa6a44243.jpg

Notice the tear drop shape? My wife calls it the "Pond of Tears" due to all the money to make it happen.

WOW.

Do you live in a hotel or something? This is all quite impressive.

Thanks for sharing your HT build stories as they happen too.

• Like 2

Today we got the garage door wall almost done... We need 2 more sheets of drywall to complete the walls. We decided since we had extra hat channel and clips that we would go the extra mile and use them on that wall... It was either that or 4 layers of OSB, GG, and drywall. So we did the clips, OSB, GG, and dw. We also got the front height speakers mounted and aimed.

Saturday we hope to get the wall finished, ceiling finished (only 4' x 19' behind the header), carpet the stage, 1/4 pie bass bins built for the LCR, and maybe mount the screen to the frame. Sunday we hope to have at least one of the DDs completed and installed, all the equipment in the room, projector hung, and recliners in place, with the room ready for hooking up everything..

• Like 1

Today we got the wall behind the screen completed, one of the double doors installed with an extra layer of MDF, Installed the auto seal, re installed the door. and we started on 3 of the 1/4 Pie Bass bins (which are about 1/3 done). Sunday we will finish all 3 1/4 Pie Bass Bins, paint them, finish the ceiling behind the screen, clean the room, and start installing audio, and video equipment. :)

Today we got the 3 1/4 pie speakers built and painted... We had a few setbacks today but we still got some progress. Monday we should have the ceiling behind the screen dry walled, and have at least 2 of the speakers hooked up and running. We are also going to try and get the projector and screen installed. :)

We left the garage door in place. We screwed the panels all together after siliconing in between all the joints, I then used spray expandable foam around the whole garage door to seal it off the rest of the way. Once that was done we built a second wall and insulated it with R19 insulation. This wall then got Hat Channel, 5/8" drywall, Green Glue, and a final layer of 5/8" drywall. Today we will be doing the same to the ceiling behind our screen (which has a huge load bearing header which we added 2 more supports to). The garage was always cool inside as long as you left the garage door down... As soon as you would open the door the room would get just like outside. We noticed some improvement with the door down and sealed, but now that it is completely sealed permanently, I have noticed that we can leave the door to the pond open all day and it stay very cool all day long. smile.gif Preliminary testing with my cell phone microphone has shown 61 db with both double doors open, and 11db with both doors closed (this is without the door seals being installed). This was testing with the waterfall noise from the pond going... Hopefully we will get even better results with the doors 100% sealed (and I forgot to include the Hallway ceiling, and furnace wall are not even started yet).

• Like 1