Crossover disection

vnzbd

Klipsch klf 10 schematic net.pdf

Although I have refurbished a few of the KLF-10 crossovers, I am looking for a better understanding of what does what.

The 10 is speced with a 2300hz crossover point. I am trying to figure out what formulas have been used to arrive at that. I have googled every which way I know to find a simple formula on a second order low-pass circuit with the load being 8 ohms and all the charts I have found show the components to have greatly different values than the schematic.

My assumption is that this is a second order butterworth circuit?

Also, what does the resistor do in the hi-pass circuit, just knock down the signal or is there more to it?

Thanks for the education!

Third order bessel gets you in the ballpark. Remember this is not straight resistance, it is inductance and impedance. Depending on the true values at those frequencies, the impact of acoustic roll off, tuning by ear, etc., text book values may not be usable.

Since you have two caps with an inductor in the middle, that typically implies you are going for a third order electrical rolloff. Who knows what the actual acoustic is (or crossover point) because it depends on the drivers interaction and frequency responses.

Minor thread drift:

FRZN, in the schematic for the KLF-20 XO it shows a 3-way design, but in a description near the bottom #3 specifies "P.C. board must accept bi-amping."

What is the "P.C" board, and how does the schematic, which looks like a single input design, do bi-amping?

Third order bessel gets you in the ballpark. Remember this is not straight resistance, it is inductance and impedance. Depending on the true values at those frequencies, the impact of acoustic roll off, tuning by ear, etc., text book values may not be usable.

Since you have two caps with an inductor in the middle, that typically implies you are going for a third order electrical rolloff. Who knows what the actual acoustic is (or crossover point) because it depends on the drivers interaction and frequency responses.

Excellent response, which is why I usually don't say anything. Without the measurements and acoustic data -- any real intentioned response would be nothing more than a best guess.