defective tweeters on towers.

tfhunt

I have a not so funny tower story that I am reaching out to klipsch this week. A few years back I hooked up brand new expensive tower klipsch speakers n since they were brand new I assumed my reciever was going bad as it sounded muffled and aweful. I just stopped using that system until recently I bought a replacement reciever to really get it correct. Sounded the same...needless to say I went ballistic when a sound snob friend of mine took both speakers tweeters out n tested the brand new speakers and looked at me n said these tweeters never worked and BOTH speakers are defective. Since both were defective I know they had this problem with many customers. My reciever was fine all along n I could not believe quality control would send out faulty tweeters. Ended up costing me over $1000 not including the replacement costs for new tweeters. The right thing to do is provide me a trade with my defective ones with portable ones. Let me know and I will ship them in. Warranty or not it was not right.

Tfhunt,

Welcome to the forum.

It may be a good idea to contact Klipsch directly to share your grievances. You are correct, QC should not have let these tweeters slip by them and out to the buying public. With that said, that is why mfr's offer warranties for new items bought from authorized dealers.

How long ago did you purchase these tower speakers? You mentioned new tweeters, did you buy new ones? Do the speakers function properly today?

Bill

It has been a few years and no warranty now. I will still reach out to them. I assumed (Wrong) it was my reciever...just was frustrating that a new pair would have defective tweeters...i actually never imagined that with this brand. I will order new ones but wanted them to know in case i can send them both to them so they too can see they never were operational...

Thanks for the response!

precisely what speakers and how were they tested OP?

you need to give a little more accurate info rather than coming here and making broad disparaging comments over speakers that were several years old.

frankly, while manufacturing defects happen all the time in any product... your story sounds a little iffy

It actually could have been your old receiver. It's possible that it damaged the tweeters. That would make sense more than you receiving two speakers with bad tweeters. The odds of that happening are pretty low.

Edited by CECAA850
  • Like 1

It actually could have been your old receiver. It's possible that it damaged the tweeters. That would make sense more than you receiving two speakers with bad tweeters. The odds of that happening are pretty low.

Very true. Unusually rare that both tweeters are defective.

Again, what model speakers are we talking about?

Bill

I tend to agree with Carl, your receiver may have taken out your tweets

With that said, not everyone was born tweaking an audio set-up, and therefore could have easily mis- placed blame in a moment of anger. I dont see how implying the OP is lying or an idiot is helpful in the slightest

Welcome to the forum, Hope you wont let the negativity steer you away as there is lots to learn here, from many who set out to help

• Like 1

Sitting on a possible warranty issue for several years before contacting the company is dumb. Assuming the speaker company is to blame based on dubious troubleshooting methods is dumb. Griping about it after the fact on a forum without any sort of specificity is even more dumb.

Sitting on a possible warranty issue for several years before contacting the company is dumb. Assuming the speaker company is to blame based on dubious troubleshooting methods is dumb. Griping about it after the fact on a forum without any sort of specificity is even more dumb.

My thoughts exactly!

If my memory serves it was not long ago you asked "HOW TO LISTEN" I dont recall anyone calling you an idiot.................Its simple act as you would like to be treated

It is Obvious to me the op is not experienced in audio, and therefore you must understand they wont know every angle involved with audio.............I can agree I would have certainly investigated my warranty B-4 waiting years however I dont personally know the op reason for waiting.................for all we know the op could have had any number of issues preventing his investigating speaker / receiver repairs

And again calling someone an IDIOT without the details is quite Idiotic, It is also no help at all

Edited by joessportster
  • Like 2

Guest Steven1963

I subscribed to these forums after lurking because I found them to be very mature and helpful - a great group of guys/gals. Perhaps I was wrong.

Guest Steven1963

OP,

Sorry about your tweeters. Perhaps the best course of action is contact Klipsch and explain to them your situation. Ask if you can send them the tweeters (at your cost) and have them tested. Perhaps they can determine if they were defective and never worked or if they were somehow damaged.

If they never worked, perhaps they would be willing to work something out with you. If they were damaged by use (your amplifier), then at least you will know.

Edited by Steven1963