RIP Tony G

Chewing tobacco...........

I did not know this. Personally, I experienced one other person who died from salivary gland cancer. He was an ex pro football player, used to play for the Oakland Raiders. He was a lineman, just huge (in height - he was pretty emaciated when I dealt with him) and young. His children and wife held vigil as he died. Egads I hate tobacco.

For decades Tony dipped tobacco products (He says he started in 1981 as a rookie). In the late 90s Tony had two non malignant tumors removed from his parotid gland. Unfortunately he resumed dipping after these procedures. Then in 2010 he was diagnosed with cancer of the same gland.

Regardless of the cause of his cancer, which Gwynn clearly acknowledged and accepted responsibility, he was without a doubt the greatest pure hitter in the last quarter century. He could put the ball anywhere he desired. A class act, a mentor, and a man who really loved the game. A sad day indeed.

Bill

Right after my pathologist called to tell me I had carcinoma, I picked my Winstons up off the table and tossed them into the trash. I knew there would be no chance as long as I was sucking on those things. Chances go from bad to worse - what was this guy thinking?