Unique Cornwalls with Upgrades

johnstms92

Watertown, WI

Greetings Gents (and ladies), I have up for sale my pair of Cornwalls which I completely redid other than the heart of the cabinet and the midrange.

Work done on this pair,

1) Stripped old paint, sanded, used woodfiller on any chips/dents and then sanded over smooth, veneered over the original raw birch with a Macassar Ebony veneer, stained the back panels and risers in ebony, repainted front baffle, 7 coats of high gloss polyurethane all around.

2) Crites Woofers and tweeters

3) ALK Universal crossovers to spec with this exact setup

4) Upgraded all internal speaker wire with 10 gauge silver plated cable (re-soldered).

5) Upgraded speaker terminals with heavy duty 5-way binding posts

6) Grills are original, 1 is in good to excellent condition with little to almost no blemishes and Klipsch badge is new. 2nd is in good condition with a few blemishes and snags on the cloth, and the Klipsch badge has a couple smudges but only visible up close.

7) Put on new Valcro strips to hold the grills.

You can see pictures of this project here (It runs from finish to beginnig > http://s1185.photobucket.com/user/johnstms92/slideshow/Cornwall%20progress

I believe that covers all the updates done to this set, things of note would be some imperfections to the finish. After I had veneered one of the sides of one speaker, I didn't realize I had gotten some of the veneer glue onto the finish, so when I put on the first coat of polyurethane, it made the spot where glue got on visible... A disappointment, but not too hideous. I can get pictures of this upon request. There is also a very small ding in one corner on top near the back of one speaker, as well as another very small ding on the top front of the other speaker. Not visible from 5 feet away, but I want to make all/any imperfections known to prespective buyers.

I believe these are originally Cornwall ll's? However I cannot be sure. The previous owner tried to remove the Original Klipsch stickers on the back which provide its exact make and year, but I have the serial numbers of both still legible on the top rear and they appear to be consecutive (35Y409 & 35Y410) I tried to preserve what was left of the stickers, but in the process of staining them some stain seeped over the stickers.

Alot of time and money was put into refinishing and upgrading this set of Cornwalls and I really don't want to sell, but these have just been collecting dust for the past year or so after I found delight in my B&W 803N's. It pains me to see them sit, and I have too many speakers, too much audio gear, and am planning on getting married next summer, so I must thin the heard a bit.

ASKING $1300 $1200- If asking price is met, I will offer the original K-33 woofers and original Crossovers for an additional $100.

NOT willing to Ship. but will help load speakers, and might consider delivering within 60 miles for a little extra, but local pickup is preferred.

LOCATED in Watertown, WI - Between Milwaukee & Madison

I'm willing to negotiate a little on price, but not much. I'm happy to hold onto these for a while longer if they don't sell right away.

Let me know if you have any questions, and I'll be happy to answer them.

WP_20140616_002_zps0545f31a.jpg

Edited by johnstms92

"Y's" would be 1983, I believe, Therefore, they would be II's. I would have loved to watch you veneer the cabs! I really want to learn how to do that someday.

Very pretty indeed (as BOXX would say).

Here is as close as you can get! after the first 12 pictures the rest is a workup of the veneering process and the rest of refinish work. Veneering is much easier than you'd think! That is, paperback veneering is. I have not tried veneering with real wood veneer. But the method I used was quite simple. http://s1185.photobucket.com/user/johnstms92/slideshow/Cornwall%20progress

• Like 1

Those are beautiful, but wouldn't fit in with my "rustic" interior.....

I don't know what others experiences have been, but the more research and contacts I make about veneering, the more I am beginning to think that it's actually cheaper and (certainly) less stressful to let an expert do it who has all the tools, space, etc. I love to work on my speakers, but going through all of that is out of my comfort zone....I'm having someone come over this evening to look at a pair of Cornwall's that are in desperate need of new veneer, and I will report as to the estimate, etc.

I found the only tools I really used for my veneering project was the veneer planer, a sharp heavy duty boxcutter, and an iron. This is not including the veneer itself and the veneer glue, or the preparing stages with the wood filler and sanding down. It's certainly nerve racking the first time around, I certainly was. After getting the first piece laid on, most of my worries went away as its much simpler than i expected. It was, however, very handy to have a helping hand during the process. Just my .02. I am very interested to hear what estimate you're given for redoing your project!

Man, I want those. And I'm even local-ish (Lake Geneva). I've been looking for some Cornwalls, as an upgrade to my modded Forte II's. It's purely a $$ issue, as always. It's a "self-funded" hobby in my household, so until I sell the Forte's (or something else ... any interest in a minty custom-built AR XA?) it's not in the cards, unfortunately. I wish you the best of luck with the sale, though. They sure would look good in my listening room!

• 2 weeks later...

"Y's" would be 1983, I believe, Therefore, they would be II's. I would have loved to watch you veneer the cabs! I really want to learn how to do that someday.

These are NOT cornwall 11's

Y is for 1983

Cornwall 11's didn't come out till late 1985

the pictures are so easy to tell the difference between the 1's and 11's. the backs don't come off the 11's and all the componets are front mounted

Edited by Budman
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Y is for 1983

the pictures are so easy to tell the difference between the 1's and 11's. the backs don't come off the 11's and all the componets are front mounted

Good to know! If this is indeed correct then these are Cornwall l's.

Y is for 1983

the pictures are so easy to tell the difference between the 1's and 11's. the backs don't come off the 11's and all the componets are front mountedI'

I'd call these Cornwall 1.5's (my terminology that seems to have caught on). Late model 1's with different midrange driver and networks to match.

• Like 1

Really like the binding posts on the back, can you share the source? thanks

There is an easier biding post to use from PE. Same basic idea of a 5-way with very stout post (that will accept 12 gauge wire or dual banana plugs), requires only one hole to be drilled in back, simple installation. There is a type where you buy two posts that you drive into holes in the cabinet. I'll look up the part number. 901-1245

Edited by colterphoto1

• 2 weeks later...

Really like the binding posts on the back, can you share the source? thanks

There is an easier biding post to use from PE. Same basic idea of a 5-way with very stout post (that will accept 12 gauge wire or dual banana plugs), requires only one hole to be drilled in back, simple installation. There is a type where you buy two posts that you drive into holes in the cabinet. I'll look up the part number. 901-1245

There are indeed, there are so many nice quality binding posts out on the market from Parts-Express and many other sites. I went with these because I was looking for something large and when I received these from PE I was blown away at their size and solid construction. Some may prefer smaller binding posts, but from such large speakers I think they fit the bill well. But to each his own!