Unique Cornwalls with Upgrades

johnstms92

Very nice work. Wish I had the courage to take on cabinet work. I got a heck of a deal on Cornwall III's several years ago and love 'em. The only rub (and the reason they were a deal) is one of them has some cabinet damage on a front corner most likely the result of shipping screw up. New veneer would not be enough to fix it. If you are patient, you'll get these sold and probably for close to asking price. Good luck.

Very nice work. Wish I had the courage to take on cabinet work. I got a heck of a deal on Cornwall III's several years ago and love 'em. The only rub (and the reason they were a deal) is one of them has some cabinet damage on a front corner most likely the result of shipping screw up. New veneer would not be enough to fix it. If you are patient, you'll get these sold and probably for close to asking price. Good luck.

Thanks for the encouragement! Not in a huge hurry to sell, and since I listed them I have since hooked them up in my main system in chance that someone would like to come audition them. I enjoy listening to them in the mean time. I prefer the mids and highs of the B&W's, but man do the b&w's miss the chest slam and volume capabilities of Cornwalls. I'm always a little nervous about cranking the 803's too loud, but with these... I know my ears will blow before these do.

As for your lll's, I'd love to hear the lll's some day! an A/B comparison would be very interesting. It's too bad about the Damage to the corners. In case you're interested, what I used for all the wholes and dings in these when I refinished them was minwax wood filler. It worked wonders! couldn't believe how well actually. Here's a link to the stuff. http://www.minwax.com/wood-products/maintenance-repair/minwax-high-performance-wood-filler it's one of the cheaper ones, but works fantastic. Just carefully stuff it in tight to the dings/dents/holes etc, and then sand it down. it sands pretty easily and you can get a perfectly flush finish. Just a thought. :rolleyes:

"Y's" would be 1983, I believe, Therefore, they would be II's. I would have loved to watch you veneer the cabs! I really want to learn how to do that someday.

Very pretty indeed (as BOXX would say).

:emotion-21:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Here's the posts I used on my CW I's.

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-bpp-g-premium-binding-post-pair-gold--091-620

With these plates.

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dbpp-bk-double-binding-post-plate-black-anodized--091-612

It's nice when you can get them in person and look at them first. :)

Edited by Mighty Favog

by the way - how did you apply the clear coat - did you use a paint brush or a spary - tx

Used a poly brush for the clear coat (6 coats). not familiar with the spray on clear coat? I'll have to look into that.

Oh, man you're gonna regret letting those go. Seriously don't do it.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

One day, there's not doubt I'll miss these guys... But getting married this summer and owning 5 some sets of speakers, and moving into a small 2 bedroom apartment, I gotta cut it down to 1! And I've decided to stick with my B&W 803N's... Plus down the road, I really wouldn't mind doing this again! Or even building from scratch. I had a lot of fun with this project, but for now, I'll let someone else enjoy them  :rolleyes:

by the way - how did you apply the clear coat - did you use a paint brush or a spary - tx

Used a poly brush for the clear coat (6 coats). not familiar with the spray on clear coat? I'll have to look into that.

Oh, man you're gonna regret letting those go. Seriously don't do it.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

One day, there's not doubt I'll miss these guys... But getting married this summer and owning 5 some sets of speakers, and moving into a small 2 bedroom apartment, I gotta cut it down to 1! And I've decided to stick with my B&W 803N's... Plus down the road, I really wouldn't mind doing this again! Or even building from scratch. I had a lot of fun with this project, but for now, I'll let someone else enjoy them  :rolleyes:

the spraying of the clear gives it a miror like glass finish -