Captain Obvious here, but note the hobbit is sitting on a La Scala in the t-shirt, and Elijah who played a hobbit is now sitting on his La Scala.

I don't get it.

Hmm... Ok, I'll go about this like assuming you don't know who Elijah Wood is, which is certainly possible.

The t shirt he is wearing in the photo Alex posted is a re-issue of the one Klipsch made in the 70's (around there, I assume. Maybe later?). That shirt featured a hobbit from Lord of the Rings sitting on a La Scala speaker. Random, I know, but it was cute.

This interaction began a couple months ago, when Elijah posted on twitter that he is enjoying his vintage La Scala speakers. Elijah played Frodo Baggins, the hobbit in the Peter Jackson Lord of the Rings movies. We responded to him with a picture of the shirt, and he really wanted one. We had one made, then decided to make the reissue available to everyone.

Once he received it, he posted that picture of him sitting on his La Scala, much like the hobbit is in the t shirt design.

There you go. Now you know the rest.....of the story.

I had no clue who he is. I have the complete Lord of the Rings DVD set, still in wrapper, been sitting for maybe 10 years or so (unless I gave it away). I am not a good measure of box office success, so no disrespect to him.

What is the story behind the speakers? Did he pick them up used before he made it, inherit from pops and can never get rid of them? There has to be a story here.

Amy, you need to fly a tech out with a La Scala II upgrade kit, on the house, of course.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Me On Scalawag

Can you say Deja Vu??
And will the re-issue ALSO have the "elvish runes" on its back,?
I've been growing out of my original for years now...and maybe it is time to get a new one that is NOT a size medium, but maybe a size extra-large??
Hopefully, the reissue will be SILK-SCREENED instead of the "iron-on (quality??)" of the original. The stretch fabric of the original tended to stretch much further than the transfer did, which tended to break up the transfer and it would separate from the cloth when washed.
I would love to see this shirt as a re-issue, too!

Partybuilder1

Yes, this pic is of me back when I was a slapping together a hundred-plus HDBRs a day...raggedy-looking dude wasn't I??

Edited by HDBRbuilder
  • Like 2

Can you say Deja Vu??
I've been growing out of my original for years now...and maybe it is time to get a new one that is NOT a size medium, but maybe a size extra-large??
Hopefully, the reissue will be SILK-SCREENED instead of the "iron-on (quality??)" of the original. The stretch fabric of the original tended to stretch much further than the transfer did, which tended to break up the transfer and it would separate from the cloth when washed.

Yes, this pic is of me back when I was a slapping together a hundred-plus HDBRs a day...raggedy-looking dude wasn't I??

Wow Andy! A flash from the past. My first audio gathering. Father (Daddy) Dee was such a great host!

Product samples were sent from ALK and Juicy Music for our evaluation and enjoyment.

Many of the old long time forum guys were present. The audio writer from Fla drove up @#$ I cant remember his name, Deano, BEC ......

Must have been '04 or '05.

That pic was shot in the church sanctuary, Iron Man was playing as I recall. :)

tc

• Like 1

• Administrators

Can you say Deja Vu??

Yep, the reissue has the same exact graphics on the front and back, silkscreen. The short run we did have the design in copper on black. They came out great. Not sure when we will be doing another run if them, but we will of course announce it here too.

Awesome pic BTW!

• Like 1

The pic of me on the Oak Lascala at Dee's place had to be taken prior to November 2004, because I was heading towards the desert then until I got back in 2007.

PWK really didn't like the LOTR-themed shirt very much because it didn't make much marketing sense to him at the time, but the employees liked it so he let it slide. The one shirt he really had problems with, though, was the "Merry Klipschmas 1977" shirt that was handed out to employees along with the "Klipsch Mega-month stein" after we had the first million-dollar sales month in the company's history. PWK seemed to see that shirt design as using his name in a manner that some might possibly see as leaning towards blasphemy...so that term "Klipschmas" was never used again on anything the company sponsored while he was alive that I know of. Yes, I still have that one, too!

Edited by HDBRbuilder
  • Like 1

The pic of me on the Oak Lascala at Dee's place had to be taken prior to November 2004, because I was heading towards the desert then until I got back in 2007.

PWK really didn't like the LOTR-themed shirt very much because it didn't make much marketing sense to him at the time, but the employees liked it so he let it slide. The one shirt he really had problems with, though, was the "Merry Klipschmas 1977" shirt that was handed out to employees along with the "Klipsch Mega-month stein" after we had the first million-dollar sales month in the company's history. PWK seemed to see that shirt design as using his name in a manner that some might possibly see as leaning towards blasphemy...so that term "Klipschmas" was never used again on anything the company sponsored while he was alive that I know of. Yes, I still have that one, too!

Thanks for clearing that up. I was wondering if PWK was a Tolkien fan or if it was employee driven. I think it is a very cool shirt and I would love to have one. I also love the connection with Elijah Wood. Not only is he a great actor but, he obviously has great taste in gear.

• Like 1

Wow, 100 a day and those were just the Birch ones? That is cranking. No wonder there are so many on Ebay now.

• Like 1

I learned the "Klipschmas" lesson the hard way...Ok, not really "the hard way" but I got shut down fast when I brought up using the term "Klipschmas" haha.

• Like 1

Can you say Deja Vu??

Great photo, thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...