2-Way Summer Project - Belle Build

a good match will be determined by making sure that the exit angle of the driver matches the entrance angle of the horn. Keeping those matched you could then equally compare the sound of one driver to another if not then you will have reflections from the junction back to the diaphragm. Klipsch should provide you with this information contact Roy he designed the horn (K510). Best regards Moray James.

PS: if you want a Belle to get out to 500 Hz range you will need to pick your driver talk to Claude on that one and you will need to install corner reflectors.

Edited by moray james

PS: if you want a Belle to get out to 500 Hz range you will need to pick your driver talk to Claude on that one and you will need to install corner reflectors.

Corner reflectors where the horn folds 90° (back to sides)?

I would think they would be similar to the reflector on the rear panel where the driver is aimed...

a good match will be determined by making sure that the exit angle of the driver matches the entrance angle of the horn. Keeping those matched you could then equally compare the sound of one driver to another if not then you will have reflections from the junction back to the diaphragm. Klipsch should provide you with this information contact Roy he designed the horn (K510). Best regards Moray James.

Is it possible to get a hold of Roy through this forum?

I don't know all the technical jargon... but when using an active crossover, the K510 is crossed (to a LaScala bottom) at 470 Hz. I don't know how that would equate to the Belle but would think it to be similar.

As for contacting Roy through the forum.... my guess would be that it would be difficult.

If memory serves me, his email address is roy.Delgado@klipsch.com

You might be served to call WC at Panacea Engineering. He's a dealer and could perhaps talk parts/prices/other.

http://panaceaengineering.com/

Hello,

I have been chatting with Klipsch a bit and they have quoted me a couple options... I could really use an experience opinion if it is out there...

I am considering the K510 over the Belle horn. I believe I can cross these together at 450-500Hz (confirm?) I would like to buy ALK's AP12-500 (gentle slope 500Hz XO).

Klipsch is offering the horn on its own or with the B&C driver (DE-75-8P). Is the B&C a good match for the Belle and XO point? The Faital HF140 is a less expensive option (is it better?).

Thanks again. The build starts in a week!

The K-510 horn is a great idea. I would not use the ALK crossover. If you use an electronic crossover, you can get time alignment and a choice of crossover types. However, it would require an extra amplifier (which does not need to be expensive). In the past I have used a K-510 with a JBL 2446 driver on a La Scala (close to a Belle) in a two-way configuration. It sounded great. If you do go this route you will need to think ahead about a four channel volume control.

The K-510 horn is a great idea. I would not use the ALK crossover. If you use an electronic crossover, you can get time alignment and a choice of crossover types. However, it would require an extra amplifier (which does not need to be expensive). In the past I have used a K-510 with a JBL 2446 driver on a La Scala (close to a Belle) in a two-way configuration. It sounded great. If you do go this route you will need to think ahead about a four channel volume control.

Thanks!

I'm really happy with my current amp set up: Leben CS600... not sure I am up for a complete over haul in that arena right now. Are you specifically against the ALK crossover, or just really for the electronic version?

My objective with this build is to have a simple version of a heritage speaker with modern design drivers...

Wow, that sure is an elegant combo...Gorgeous! Is that natural birch, or a very light stain tint? I want some. Keep us posted on your progress. Where are you getting your cane grill material?

No such thing as a Birch Belle or I would have bought one to go with my KCBR horns over 3 decades ago. Instead I got a LaScala. The Belle was made of the same Veneers as Khorns since it was primarily designed to be sold as a mono speaker between two Khorns, but people bought them in pairs since it was the "prettiest" of the Klispch line as well as the name of PWK's first wife who died from smoking (something PWK felt very guilty about, since he taught her to smoke, he quit and lived to be 98, and she didn't).

Wow, that sure is an elegant combo...Gorgeous! Is that natural birch, or a very light stain tint? I want some. Keep us posted on your progress. Where are you getting your cane grill material?

No such thing as a Birch Belle or I would have bought one to go with my KCBR horns over 3 decades ago. Instead I got a LaScala. The Belle was made of the same Veneers as Khorns since it was primarily designed to be sold as a mono speaker between two Khorns, but people bought them in pairs since it was the "prettiest" of the Klispch line as well as the name of PWK's first wife who died from smoking (something PWK felt very guilty about, since he taught her to smoke, he quit and lived to be 98, and she didn't).

I grabbed that photo from the Klipch museum page. Maybe it was a one-off...

I don't know if this will work for the Belle or not, it's all I could find for a passive.
The components for the LF output were designed for the Jubilee. I'm thinking probably not a good fit for the Belle.

Bruce

Thanks!

I'm really happy with my current amp set up: Leben CS600... not sure I am up for a complete over haul in that arena right now. Are you specifically against the ALK crossover, or just really for the electronic version?

My objective with this build is to have a simple version of a heritage speaker with modern design drivers...

I am in favor of elecronic crossovers and bi-amping.

Corner reflectors where the horn folds 90° (back to sides)?
I believe that testing has shown those not to help much at all. Unfortunately, I can't point you to the data that would explain that...

Bruce

if you're going to make one... you might as well take the time and make 2 or 3 of them...

I will be making a stereo pair.

I meant sets... I am sure they would sell.

Edited by Schu

I grabbed that photo from the Klipch museum page. Maybe it was a one-off...

It's definitely not birch. Maple comes to mind, or teak. Klipsch did some exotic veneers at one time when you could order whatever you wanted, before they went to strictly Walnut or Oak.

Mahogany, Rosewood, Pear Wood, Zebra Wood, Teak were just some other possibilities at one time.