2-Way Summer Project - Belle Build

I don't know if this will work for the Belle or not, it's all I could find for a passive.

Maybe someone else can chime in that knows more about these things.

Coyotee, is this Roy's 2 way design for the Jubilee and 402/K69A? I would think it would be the same with the 510/K69A.

Stevenarrow, I have 7 K510/K69A, two of them have the mumps. the rest do not. Im really quite interested in this build, I just acquired K33's to do a horn build, either MWM, Belle, or La Scala. I've seen pictures of (never heard) belle/510, and also La Scala dog house/510. I will follow this thread closely, I'd like to see pictures and impressions on how this sounds.

• 4 weeks later...

Regarding corner reflectors. I did some experiments on vintage horn "Kuben" very similar to but not inspired by the LaScala. I tested a slew of drivers and adding corner reflectors (attached by double sided tape) was beneficial to some driver, harmful for some and, did nothing for others. Above 300Hz cone breakup causes different effective pathdifferences for different drivers (I assume) and the complex bouncing around can either add up or substract with or without those reflectors. An optical reflector like a mirror is easy to grasp but accoustic reflectors does not behave in quite the same manner.

Vibrations in the sidewalls is a problem If I was to build them with no braces I would work with laminating two different materials rather than doing brute force things like 30mm MDF.

Stop holding out on us, we need to see more than sawdust.

HA!

Sorry, there will be periods between updates. I did mention I live in 600 sqft. in Vancouver right?! I do not have a workshop at home... I do all my wood work a local co-op space, so I have limited access. It is a decent solution, but far from perfect...

Yesterday was all about precision and mock ups. I now have all pieces cut to size including all angles for the modify doghouse. I used a fresh blade on the table saw and taped all edges to be cut to save the veneer. I have to saw it worked out pretty good. As well, the doghouse mock up went together rather well. I will need a few more straps to ensure a razor sharp joint line.

post-58443-0-51380000-1407773838_thumb.j

post-58443-0-72220000-1407773854_thumb.j

post-58443-0-26300000-1407773868_thumb.j

post-58443-0-69460000-1407773881_thumb.j

• Like 1

Okay, I already have workshop envy - or rented workshop envy- still envy. I wish I had that many good clamps!!! Looks like a great project so keep sending pics as you progress. Good luck. I have some 1.25" plywood that I may use on a LS with vent build if I can find a place to put them (wife doesn't allow big speakers in house!!!)

Okay, I already have workshop envy - or rented workshop envy- still envy. I wish I had that many good clamps!!!

Here is a little info on my shop space (below). It is pretty decent for $50 a month... I have access at least two evenings per week and one full day on the weekend. The best resource is actually the other members. When I have no idea how to do something, there is usually a few suggestions and helping hands.

http://vancommunitylab.com/home/what-is-the-colab/creative-space/

Edited by Stevenarrow

Plywood has been purchased. Saw dust has been made.

How many sheets of plywood did you end up getting.

2 sheets of 1/5" 2 sheets of 3/4"...

I lamented the 1/2" for the top, bottom, and sides. The 3/4" is for the rest. I bought a little extra to mock up all angle cuts before doing the 'finish' cuts. I have some extra. I am leaning towards doing the braces on the side walls, and I will likely be making a bass reflex box as well. I'll probably need to get another sheet to finish (depending on screw-ups...).

Also, budget is coming into play a bit right now -- I will not be veneering these; the birch ply is looking pretty good. I may put off the full range compression driver and XO until later in the fall. I have the components in my house already to make this a decent three-way. Should be almost ready to roll them out in a week.

• Like 1