Old Newbie

NADman

Hi,

I just sold my Altec 19's because we are moving from a country home to a condo or appt. I know our new home will be a lot smaller and we'll have people a lot closer than I'd like. As a former owner of Heresys, Altecs and EV's I would like your expert opinion on whether I should get the KG 4.5"s or the Tangent 5000 speakers I have found as I am traveling across western Canada to deliver the 19's

Size, performance,and weight are more important than price.

Any input will be appreciated.

The Tangent's are a bit cheaper construction, thinner MDF was used (like the KLF line) and if I remember correctly the finish was of a vinyl wrap than an actual wood veneer. If you look at the specs though the mid horn and tweeter are the exact same as used in the Forte. The woofer looks to be from a Heresy II? Either way a very nice sounding set of three way speakers which I have always preferred over any 2 way set I've heard.

Spec's:

Frequency Response: 35Hz-20kHz(+-)3dB SENSITIVITY: 99dB @ 1watt/1meter POWER HANDLING: 150 watts maximum continuous (750 watts peak) NOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 8 ohms TWEETER: K-75-K 1" (2.54cm) Phenolic diaphragm compression driver HIGH FREQUENCY HORN: 90(o)x40(o) Exponential Horn MIDRANGE: K-53-K 1.5" (3.81cm) Phenolic diaphragm compression driver MID FREQUENCY HORN: 90(o)x40(o) Exponential Horn WOOFER: K-28-K 12" (30.48cm) Fiber-composite cone active / K-120 12" (30.48cm) Fiber-composite cone passive ENCLOSURE MATERIAL: Medium density fiberboard construction (MDF) ENCLOSURE TYPE: Bass reflex via passive radiator DIMENSIONS: 40.75" (103.5cm) x 15.5" (39.4cm) x 14.7" (37.3cm) WEIGHT: 65 lbs. (29.5kg) FINISHES: Matte-finish Black vinyl Built From: 1993 BUILT UNTIL: 1994 Edited by jjptkd

Well, I just could not resist picking up the KG 4.5's as they are in like new condition and the price was very fair. I still may get the Tangents but have not been home yet to audition these new to me speakers.

The Tangent's are a bit cheaper construction, thinner MDF was used (like the KLF line) and if I remember correctly the finish was of a vinyl wrap than an actual wood veneer.

MDF in KLFs seems to be in line with the rest of the Klipsch line. Just bracing all the way around the cabinet is lacking. Based on the weight and same components, I would say Klipsch skimped on the bracing and vinyl enclosure (unless 5/8 vs 3/4" though doesn't seem likely). Forte a little smaller - 56lbs Tangent 5000 65lbs. KLF 30 102lbs and KLF-20 over 86lbs.

As for the problem with the tweeter(s), it could be cooked or it is time to refresh the crossover network.

I hooked them up to an old Sansui amp today (35W) and what a world of difference. They sound pretty good. Next step is to check the RCA cable and then the NAD amp and preamp. Will probably get the diaphrams and check the Xover after I get the NAD problems figured out. A friend mentioned something about the difference between British and Japanese electronics - all I know is about their motorcycles.

Edited by NADman