for the drummers in the crowd

joessportster

All great find for drummers! I am a drummer and grew up on Inna-gadda-da-vida, by Deep Purple. That being said, I like this next guy, who is using more modern percussion than the drum kit only guys, and he has tremendous wrists!

Got a name ?? the link brings up a list

My Nephew was a finalist in the guitar center drum contest a couple years ago

Guitar Center Drum-Off 2012 Champion Juan Carlos Mendoza

+++

Iron Butterfly, not Deep Purple, sheez. I fixed it in my post, but I really should have remembered who played Inna gadda da vida.

+++

I just watched the vid you posted for your nephew. Obviously he is working on a tune, and he is solid rhythmically. What he is doing best is NOT over doing it, because a regular song is not the best place to ram notes, which is what most of us drummers like to do, too much of the time. B)

Edited by wvu80

I can't play worth a HOOT, I had to sell my setup (DW classic, with zildjian A-Customs) but once my medical settles I plan to get back into it when finances allow

I just love messing about, A friend who is blind and has been drumming for years got me started. 6 months later injured and had to sell everything

My buddy just traded (partial trade) his rowland td30 for a nice 5 piece mapex orion and some cash.................the Orion are beauties, But I just love DW

Edited by joessportster

That Tony Williams video does not impress me, speaking musically. He is typical of the set drummers who rams unaccented notes as fast as he can, but is not formally trained as a drummer. The accents are what make drumming interesting.

There is no doubt he has fast wrists, but I find the continued use of singles a bit uninteresting. I assure you, anyone can do single stroke rolls. There are 40 basic rudiments, and he uses about two of them, single stroke roll, and maybe a few flams (a flam is a single with a grace note, then alternate hands)

http://www.vicfirth.com/education/rudiments.php

Here is Steve Gadd (from Steely Dan, think of his work on AJA) giving a master class on how to use a rattamacue in a fill. He is super smooth, and you can tell by the way he talks he knows music, not just drumming. His drumming technique, ie, the way he holds the drum sticks and strikes the drum head, is excellent, and drum tuning is excellent.

Tune in about 4:30 to 5:00, and 6:50 to the end to hear what I am thinking about mixing interesting drum fills using standard rudiments. This guy is Smooth, a drummer's drummer, not just anyone can do what he is doing.

Edited by wvu80

• 2 months later...