Dobly Atmos

Schu

I can see Atmos being a benefit if you had a fairly large dedicated theater room other than that I think having 9 or more speakers would be a waste. My 5.1 rig in my 2000 cu ft room already sounds like there's speakers everywhere. I thought about 7.1 with some RB61II's as front heights but don't feel I would benefit from it then again I maybe wrong.

• Like 1

well, you can hook up 11.2 to your 3312 & try Heights, Wides & Surround Back one pair at a Time if you wish...

Yep but I'm just not sure it would benefit me in my small room. It's another curiosity thing. There's always a WHAT IF around every corner unfortunately. Either way I'm four days away from having the RF7II's in house. I'm pretty pumped about that ofc. :D

• Like 1

I can see Atmos being a benefit if you had a fairly large dedicated theater room other than that I think having 9 or more speakers would be a waste. My 5.1 rig in my 2000 cu ft room already sounds like there's speakers everywhere. I thought about 7.1 with some RB61II's as front heights but don't feel I would benefit from it then again I maybe wrong.

What I want is for the music and sound effects to fuse with the screen actions and emotions in an organic whole, if you will. We sometimes get this with our 5.1, so I know that with the right mixing, it's possible. Other times, the surround effects are "neat" but slightly distracting. One of my concerns with Atmos, or even with Heights, etc. is that filmmakers will be tempted to get too gimmicky with their effects, to the detriment of the film. With 5.1, one can have imaging (100 to, seemingly, 360 degrees) that helps or hinders. It's not a matter of too much imaging, but distracting or unnecessary imaging. I know that you can't have too much (at least in the front 150 degrees, or so) because I saw, from very close up, Francis Coppola's presentation of Gance's Napoleon, with Carmine Coppola at the podium in front of a very large live orchestra, backed up with a massive theatrical pipe organ, with a few pipes behind us -- all the imaging in the world, but not distracting. When the screen expanded to 'scope width (filmed about 20 ++ years before 'scope), the organ swelled, and the orchestra hit the roof, I had tears in my eyes, and was experiencing the music, the image, and the emotion as very nearly a single entity. Not that this can't be done with recorded soundtracks. There was marvelous non-distracting surround in Apocalypse Now, (70 mm version, but also in the home), Ben-Hur in the theater (70mm version), the first many minutes of LOTR: Fellowship of the Rings, etc. As to newer films, the event toward the beginning of The Grey had exemplary surround, which, even though it was all over the place, engaged us emotionally enough to prevent distraction. But the typical modern film breaks its own spell with superfluous surround. So, I'm not quite ready to give these guys more ammunition. Maybe I'll go over to a friend's house to try out HT Dolby Atmos well before I consider buying. If I could just find such a friend.

Edited by Garyrc
  • Like 1

I am voting "no" to Atmos with my wallet. I am VERY happy with my 5.1 setup, and there is still plenty of room for growth should I want to go bigger, better louder. I think the manufacturers are PUSHING new hardware on us because THEY need the money.

That, from the guy who lost his shirt in the 80's buying Beta Max cameras, recorders, and tapes, and followed that debacle up with a $700 VCR with Zenith's new proprietary STEREO format that NO ONE ever supported. I don't think I ever heard one note in stereo from that piece of junk.

Uhh, what were we talking about? :rolleyes:

/rant

Can you say "quadraphonic"? :(

• Like 1

The argument for not getting Dolby Atmos because there's no media is silly. I mean once upon a time we didn't have discrete 7.1 surround mixes, now their common on Blu Ray. I've already read that Atmos can be implemented on all Blu Ray players with a firmware upgrade.

So happens I'm a month or two out from breaking ground on a new house, where I'll finally have a properly designed HT in the basement, I'm thinking I'll pre-wire for 11.2 channels. What I'm wondering about is the in ceiling speakers. Currently I have the RF-7's with DeanG mods, but I'm considering going with the Klipsch THX Ultra2 setup in the future. The Ultra2 ceiling speakers are $999 per channel, where the Reference series are about $350. Considering they won't be main channels, I'm dubious as to how much difference there could possibly be between the reference and Ultra2 speakers.

The argument for not getting Dolby Atmos because there's no media is silly. I mean once upon a time we didn't have discrete 7.1 surround mixes, now their common on Blu Ray. I've already read that Atmos can be implemented on all Blu Ray players with a firmware upgrade.

So happens I'm a month or two out from breaking ground on a new house, where I'll finally have a properly designed HT in the basement, I'm thinking I'll pre-wire for 11.2 channels. What I'm wondering about is the in ceiling speakers. Currently I have the RF-7's with DeanG mods, but I'm considering going with the Klipsch THX Ultra2 setup in the future. The Ultra2 ceiling speakers are $999 per channel, where the Reference series are about $350. Considering they won't be main channels, I'm dubious as to how much difference there could possibly be between the reference and Ultra2 speakers.

do yourself a favor if your building a new place. Skip the thx ultra line and go Klipsch pro cinema. Hands down best thing I have done yet. I don't miss the thx ultra one bit.
  • Like 2

Looks as if deAf ;-) tech is gonna have add-on speaker modules for Dolby Atmos...

Wonder about Klipsch?

I bet that's going to be one of their surprises. :emotion-51: If not, well then, that wouldn't be a good sign.

EDIT: Now that I think about it surely it's going to be something that Klipsch is going to unveil along with Atmos hitting the home market---Makes all of the sense in the World!

• Like 1

Looks as if deAf ;-) tech is gonna have add-on speaker modules for Dolby Atmos...

Wonder about Klipsch?

I bet that's going to be one of their surprises. :emotion-51: If not, well then, that wouldn't be a good sign.

EDIT: Now that I think about it surely it's going to be something that Klipsch is going to unveil along with Atmos hitting the home market---Makes all of the sense in the World!

i don't know about all that. I'm thinking they are just waiting till they are ready for the line to replace the current reference line. I'm guessing something just to spice the line up hopefully. 3-way, curved cabinet, finishes. Something gotta be special.