Dobly Atmos

Schu

I totally agree about the gimmicky thing, Gary....spot on.

What's gonna be a shame is all the Atmos HTIB systems that go even cheaper to support having more speakers.....

Yes you need more speakers there is a site on youtube for explaine hows works a Dolby Atmos systeem.

Looks as if deAf ;-) tech is gonna have add-on speaker modules for Dolby Atmos...

Wonder about Klipsch?

I bet that's going to be one of their surprises. :emotion-51: If not, well then, that wouldn't be a good sign.

EDIT: Now that I think about it surely it's going to be something that Klipsch is going to unveil along with Atmos hitting the home market---Makes all of the sense in the World!

i don't know about all that. I'm thinking they are just waiting till they are ready for the line to replace the current reference line. I'm guessing something just to spice the line up hopefully. 3-way, curved cabinet, finishes. Something gotta be special.

I'm thinkin' there are things beyond their control at Klipsch--Cost cutting surely has to be one of their main concerns given what's going on with their parent company...

That said, piggybacking on a new format makes sense just like when they introduced the THX line of speakers when THX came out for Home Theater use.

Edited by tkdamerica

Hmm I have to say I'm not impressed. Looks no different then going 13.1 if you ask me.
Wrong.
do tell why? I don't understand the whole 5.1.2 thing. Don't know what they just add the number to the front. When you were asked if you had 7.1 two years ago we knew exactly what you had. But now other have 5.1 with heights or maybe wides. It's a mixed bag. So what makes this any different. I can't be asked what my 9.1 configurations consists of? Surround backs and ceiling channels. Simple. Don't know why we gotta have 11.2.4. Just sounds stupid and to me is getting way out of control. How many freakin speakers do we need in one room? Don't get me wrong if I was a bajillionaire I'd have a theater attached to my home. But I have a 12x20x7.5 space.

I'm thinkin' there are things beyond their control at Klipsch--Cost cutting surely has to be one of their main concerns given what's going on with their parent company...

Are you referring to this release?

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/robbins-geller-rudman-dowd-llp-files-class-action-suit-against-voxx-international-corporation-2014-07-08

You will find a lot of familar companies listed on this settlement site.

http://www.topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/securities/

• 3 months later...

Just a heads up for the HTPC enthusiasts..  I am watching Transformers Age of Extinction Blu Ray with an Atmos track and decoding it into True HD with an older Yamaha RX-V3900 AVR and I must say it sounds pretty damn amazing on my 1997 Klipsch 5.1 setup (yes I love quality speakers that LAST).  I will have to listen to a true Atmos setup to really appreciate the difference.

CHEERS!

• Like 1

Just a heads up for the HTPC enthusiasts..  I am watching Transformers Age of Extinction Blu Ray with an Atmos track and decoding it into True HD with an older Yamaha RX-V3900 AVR and I must say it sounds pretty damn amazing on my 1997 Klipsch 5.1 setup (yes I love quality speakers that LAST).  I will have to listen to a true Atmos setup to really appreciate the difference.

CHEERS!

So that's just TrueHD you're listening to...not Atmos ;) (and TrueHD tracks sound great). Although the Atmos track is there - it can't be decoded without the proper codec.  

My present thoughts on Atmos are "enough all ready".  It seems as if we're running in surround circles.  Remember with Dolby Pro-logic we had 5 speakers (no sub- matrix-ed mono surrounds) - it was pretty good.  Then came the Fosgate, Meridian, and Lexicons with their steering logic and tri-fields, this is some of the best surround sound that I've ever heard bar none. It had a dimension of height without height speakers.  I wonder if its because surrounds of that day were required to be placed higher up on the wall (the Fosgate SD180's were special in this regard)? Hmmmm? 

Then we come to AC-3 and DTS with discreet channels and a LFE channel (5.1).  Extremely good stuff, but now there's a lot of localizing of sounds and sound mixers creating un-natural effects.  At this juncture I choose not to use direct radiating speakers in the rears - only di or bi-polar speakers (I've stayed that way till this day).  Then we come to 6.1 and 7.1. I skipped 6.1 and when straight for 7.1, lovely! 

When blu-ray and lossless tracks emerged - something happened...the surrounds all of a sudden came down to ear level! I don't care if Dolby supports this and teaches it - I've always stayed with the surrounds being at least 2 ft above my listening position and a diffused sound field. This sounds more realistic IMHO.  I could never have rear speakers pointing directly at me (unless there were 20 rear speakers like a theater - hello, that makes the sound diffuse also).  I've had sounds that pan from front to back, go over my head with a good sense of being surrounded - not just on the sides but over my head too!!!! Diffuse sound field and proper positioning!!!! I can locate sounds when necessary but the overall environment is believable and natural.  

To me, Atmos is just bringing back the entire soundfield by using more directional speakers as actual objects. Problem is - I had this with rears that are placed higher up and are dipoles or bipoles! I'm getting off the merry-go-round, why - because its fun for a while, but you realize that you wind up back at same place you started. I'm just sayin' :):D 

• Like 2

What's gonna be a shame is all the Atmos HTIB systems that go even cheaper to support having more speakers.....

You ever heard a Dolby atmos cinema?

Is Klipsch going to come out with up-firing speakers or modules or are they going to recommend in-ceiling speakers? Right now I have some RB-5s I am using as Heights in a PLIIz setup in a "9.2" configuration(which I found I preferred over just using PLIIx with 7 speakers) and may be able to put some on-ceiling speakers either directly above or slightly behind our Listening position (but not in-ceiling)..hat said, it sounds so good in here now I'm not jonesin' to "upgrade" or purchase a new AVR--Just curious and hope all is well. :)

...To me, Atmos is just bringing back the entire soundfield by using more directional speakers as actual objects. Problem is - I had this with rears that are placed higher up and are dipoles or bipoles! I'm getting off the merry-go-round, why - because its fun for a while, but you realize that you wind up back at same place you started. I'm just sayin' :):D

Fwiw, I use direct firing larger speakers as my 7 ground/ear level speakers and smaller RB-5s as heights and prefer 5.1 material being matrixed by the AVR with sound coming towards our limited LP (from 2 surrounds and 2 rear speakers) instead of away from it using the WDST surrounds...That said with several LPs I can see where the RS series would work better as surrounds and possibly in the rear in a 7.1 setup.  

You ever heard a Dolby atmos cinema?

I understand the cinema application, but the "at home" and especially "on the go" scenarios seem more about brand recognition and marketing to me.

Quite simply, I'd rather have fewer channels of higher quality than more channels of lower quality. Very few people have rooms large enough to suspend Jubilees from the ceiling...let alone high enough to achieve proper coverage and coherency.

Edited by DrWho
  • Like 1