Dolby Digital 5.1 Ex?

Ib@nez96

2day I got the "Lord of the Rings" DVD here in the Netherlands. When setting up the sounds I could only choose between:

- Frens DD 5.1

- English DD 5.1 Ex

Now I'd like 2 watch everything in it's original language (& my French sucks) but when selecting the DD 5.1. Ex version I constantly get a glitch in sound during the movie.

Does this mean my amp isn't able 2 play the DD 5.1 Ex version? I have no troubles what so ever with Star Wars and the THX stuff. This is the first time ever I experienced problems with DD.

Anybody have any answers?

------------------

HTS:

- Reciever Onkyo TX DS595

- DVD Onkyo DV-S535

- Xbox

- TV Grundig Xentia 82 Flat

- Klipsch Quintet Microsystem

- Klisch KSW 10 Sub

decoding 5.1 dd-ex(where the center rear is matrixed from the l,r surround channels)should NOT be a problem.not sure why you're having a problem. try contacting onkyo, they have had some dts glitches, but this is a new issue.

avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center (looking for 1-m.o.klf-20)

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

sony dvpnc 650-v 5-disc dvd/cd/SACD changer

dishnetwork model 6000 HD sat rcvr w/digital off-air tuner

sony kv36xbr450 high-definition 4:3 tv

sharp xv-z1u lcd projector w/84" 4:3 sharp screen

Bello'international Italian-made a/v furniture

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable and nxg interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

Natuzzi red leather furniture set

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

I have read numerour reports on audio dropouts in several receivers with DVDs such as Pearl Harbour in DD EX. The problem was a software one, and replacement discs should have shipped since then, however I don't see why the studios would repeat the same mistake again...

It had something to do with the EX "flag" not being read correctly by the receiver, but it was the fault of the encoding, not the hardware.

------------------

http://members.fortunecity.com/sebdavid - go laugh at my crappy website/equipment

http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?alias=Sebdavid - go laugh at my puny little DVD collection

Let's be very ,very careful here. According to what I have read The Lord of Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring is not officially released in either region 1 or 2 until August 6, 2002 .You MIGHT have picked up a bootleg version of this disc.If this disc is truely an official release and in combination with audio dropouts on some Onkyo receiver models (the 989 & 898) with some DD 5.1 titles AND these receivers having problems recognizing some EX titles atomatically there may be a fire storm being created if these facts are not confirmed before spreading this info around on the internet. Please use caution and anyone else who presently has this disc and is having problems with it using Onkyo equipment kindly examine the package closely and make positively sure you have the real deal in your DVD player and if that player is operating correctly . Lets step back and be patient and analyize this report with all the facts we can obtain before jumping to conclusions. As I learned long ago . There's a reason for everything. The hard part is finding it.Wink.gif

------------------

tHe wORLDs werst TYPesT>

I think BBB is right, I got a few bootlegs a couple of months ago and Lord of the Rings was one of them. The packaging was very good. Gave it back already so I am unable to check it at this time, for the sound.

------------------

NOZ SYSTEM

Fronts: Klipsch RF-7's

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Rears: Klipsch RS-7's

Projector: Infocus LP350

Screen: Draper Premier 96" x 72"

TV: Toshiba 37"

DVD: Toshiba SD 3107

Receiver: Harman Kardon AVR 7000

CD: Sony CDP CX250

EQ: Harmon Kardon EQ-8

Sub: Velodyne V-1012-B

Spare/Back-Up: La Scalas

I rented my "LOTR" from the local store. They have about 10 copies. If this is indeed a bootleg DVD, isn't this supposed 2 be a DVD-R? I know 4 sure that my DVD-player cannot play DVD-R.

Can you damage your system by playing bootleg DVD?

I checked the "LOTR" menu screenshot with the ones I saw on the Internet, they were different but that could be because I have the Region2 version and the screens are from the Region1.

What other DD Ex titles are currently availible, so I can compare/check?

------------------

HTS:

- Reciever Onkyo TX DS595

- DVD Onkyo DV-S535

- Xbox

- TV Grundig Xentia 82 Flat

- Klipsch Quintet Microsystem

- Klisch KSW 10 Sub

This message has been edited by Ib@nez96 on 07-22-2002 at 05:52 PM

There are a few lists by Dolby and THX with EX titles that can be found on their sites.

Here are a few BUT check each titles VERSION for it to say: Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround EX

Also some DVDs do not have the type of Dolby Digital 5.1 printed on the case and some receivers that can play THX EX may not automatically detect it as an EX encoded disc.

A list of Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround EX Encoded DVD Releases"

102 Dalmations

The Art of War

The Astronaut's Wife

Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me

The Bone Collector

Castaway

The Caveman's Valentine

Chicken Run

The Exorcist

Fight Club

Gladiator

Harry Potter

The Haunting,

Hollow Man

Legend of Bagger Vance

The Messenger The: The Story of Joan Arc,

The Mexican

Mission to Mars

The Perfect Storm

Pitch Black

Say It Isn't So

See Spot Run

Seven,

Someone Like You

Spy Kids

Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace

Terminator

Terminator 2 - The Ultimate DVD Edition

Toy Story and Toy Story 2

Unbreakable

The World is Not Enough

BBB

------------------

tHe wORLDs werst TYPesT>

• 8 years later...

Castaway

Fight Club

Gladiator

The Haunting

Hollow Man

Mission to Mars

The Perfect Storm

Pitch Black

Seven

Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace

Terminator

Terminator 2 - The Ultimate DVD Edition

The World is Not Enough

I have some of these titles on region2 DVD and nearly any decent Dolby digital mix will sound excellent with centre back surround its nothing more than a cinema hype that has died out years ago now. You no longer see the Dolby digital surround-EX logo on end credits unless its some of the back titles from the above list and most of the films didnt state Dolby digital surround-EX on the end credits.