Forte II's w/ K-42 Woofers and Chorus II Crossovers?

jjptkd

I've been collecting extra Klipsch speaker parts for some time now planning on building my own custom boxes (eventually) using Chorus II crossovers & horns with 12" drivers from the KP-250's to make kind of a "mini" Chorus II. I recently picked up a pretty rough pair of Forte II's and decided to try them out with the K-42's and Chorus II crossovers and I'll tell you what, THEY ROCK!!! Bass is still very similar to the Forte II but the horns are just a singin' away like with the Chorus II's. I'm just curious if anyone else has tried this??

I've been slowly figuring out the way they configured this line of speakers, the Quartet, Forte II & Chorus II. I'm not really tech savvy and it some what confused me as to how the Chorus and Forte sound quite different to me and the Chorus is easily twice as loud and sensitive as the Forte although they share the same mid-horn and driver. I was actually really surprised when I pulled the tweeters on the Forte II's to install the K-79's I have only to find out they are virtually identical? I read somewhere here that some believe them to be the same tweeters just different part numbers due to different application but this does not follow suit with anything else I've seen. If this were true then the mid-horn should have a different part number? I think the difference is actually Ferrofluid used in the K-79 to help with higher power handling as almost every pair I've taken apart had some in it. So the main difference between the Forte II and the Chorus II seems to be in the crossover?

A couple reasons for using the K-42, power handling and increased sensitivity. I have never personally blown a Forte woofer but everyone else I know has at least once. The problem is they just sound so good and crystal clear al the way up until they pop.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I know I'm reviving and old thread here, but is the main reason for using a K-42 woofer with the Chorus II network in the Forte II to compensate for the increase in dB of the mid and the high, due to the fact that in the Chorus II network, they aren't being padded down as much as in the Forte II?

Yes, pretty much. The k-42 woofer comes stock in the KP-250 & KP-250 II Pro Heresy speakers with a sensitivity that matches the Chorus II. If you place the Chorus II k-48 15" woofer next to the K-42 12" woofer you'll see that they look nearly identical with a similar sized magnet.

A good friend of mine has been running his forte II's with the Chorus II crossovers and k-42 woofers pretty much since right after I started this thread and he loves them. It does change the speaker quite a bit, much more forward mid range and it does seem to take a little more volume to get bass out of them, not quite the same bass as the forte or the Chorus, somewhere in the middle maybe?

I don't think that this mod would be for everyone, if you like the sound of the forte more than the Chorus I'd say don't do it. If you like the sound of the Chorus over the forte, well, you'd probably see this mod as a step in that direction. It was a fun experiment and my buddy enjoys his modded speakers but really it would probably be better and much easier to just buy whichever model you prefer, if you can find them. I'm still searching for a pair of Chorus I's cough, cough. B)

• Like 1

interesting... Do you mean to say that the Forte II is perhaps a bit warmer sounding than the Chorus II? I wonder if this could be due to there being a bit of a dip between 200Hz and 2000Hz with the Forte II... I wonder if simply using the Chorus II network normalizes this "dip"  causing the speaker to sound a bit more forward...

• 2 years later...
On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 5:12 AM, Lasz said:

interesting... Do you mean to say that the Forte II is perhaps a bit warmer sounding than the Chorus II? I wonder if this could be due to there being a bit of a dip between 200Hz and 2000Hz with the Forte II... I wonder if simply using the Chorus II network normalizes this "dip"  causing the speaker to sound a bit more forward...

After a bit of research into the crossovers I discovered the mid horn is dialed back 4db in forte II as compared to the Chorus II to match the woofer. 

Wow, where does the time go? 5 years already since I started this thread? My buddy still runs these speakers and they've held up great, he listens to them every day..