Anyone here live near the coast of Maine?

I will be heading to Rockland, Maine on Saturday to spend a couple of weeks with my girlfriend's family. I've never been there and am really looking forward to the trip. I believe the Lobster Festival will be there during the first weekend of August, so that should be pretty cool (Marshall Tucker's playing).

Do we have any board members in this area? Hell, do they even sell Klipsch up there? Smile.gif If you're within a stone's throw, would like to possibly get together for a cold one and maybe get a chance to hear another member's system.

Mike

This message has been edited by Mike Lindsey on 07-22-2002 at 04:28 PM

Maine is scary.

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

Are you driving or flying? If you are driving, most likely, you'll have to take I-95 up, which means it goes right through Fredericksburg. If you want to stop and take a break, I live very near the interstate. Let me know Smile.gif.

------------------

Steven Konopa

Fredericksburg, VA

Denon AVR3802 (Receiver)

RF-7 (Fronts)

RC-7 (Center)

RC-7 (Rear)

RS-7 (A Surrounds)

Infinity RS2000.5 (B Surrounds - recycled)

REL Storm III (Subwoofer 1)

Yamaha YST-SW40 (Subwoofer 2 - Recycled)

JVC XV-S65GD (DVD)

Sharp DX-200 (CD - ancient)

RCA DWD490RE (DirecTV/Ultimate TV receiver)

Sharp 32 inch (TV)

Ken - you've read way too many Steven King novels. Smile.gif

Steve - We will be flying up but may be driving a U-Haul back with some of my girlfriend's furniture. I am pretty familiar with Fredericksburg since I lived in Springfield for 20 years. Thanks for the offer...

Mike

I lve along the coast in Maine, and no, it isn't THAT scarySmile.gif Unfortunately, I'm about 1.5 hours away from where you'll be, moving into and renovating a house, and my poor klipsches are all boxed up and being neglected. I hope you enjoy your stay in Maine. Since you're going to be in Maine for such a long stay, I'll give you some suggestions to check out if you aren't already booked solid.

Definitely check out the Camden-Rockport area which is a 10 minute drive north of Rockland. It gets pretty busy up there this time of year but it's a nice area to walk around in. You could also head out to one of the islands like Monhegan which is quite popular. You should also try to make it inland if possible (if you like that sort of thing). The Belgrade Lakes Region is about 1 hour from where you will be (take ROute 17 into Augusta, and then Route 27 North into Sidney, Belgrade, Belgrade Lakes, Rome, and Oakland. A very nice scenic area. If you're into golf, the Belgrade Lakes Golf Course is one of the premier public golf courses in the country belive it or not and was listed in Golf Magazine as one of the top 25 courses to play (I am going from memory here). Try to stop into the Old Port in Portland if possible. Nice charm, tons of restaurants and unique shops. They also have ferries that can bring you to the islands in Casco Bay. Peaks Island is a nice afternoon walk for the family. If you like the super tourist scene, there's also Old Orchard Beach alonf with Funtown, etc in Saco.

There's many more otions such as white water rafting the Kennebec or Penobscot, etc. but this could give you some ideas if you're looking for something to do.

And, oh yes, they do sell Klipsch here. New ENgland Hi-Fi (just off the interstate in the Maine Mall area has been selling them for years, Tweeter, Etc. in the Maine Mall area and Creative Sounds in Waterville are the only 3 places I know of though.

Mike-

If you are driving back down, I'd love to host you for a listening session. While I am about an hour north of I-95, it's certainly an easy drive, and there may even be a better way to get from Maine back down here so you can avoid all the I-95 traffic. Besides, I bet your Chorus IIs would love to see you again.

Rob

No, the Wits End is no longer in business. It closed down before I was of legal age, but I do remember seeing it back when I was in highschool.

Mike, if you happen to end up in the Old Port and are looking for a drink, $3 Dewey's runs 2 pairs of Heresies and has a large selection of beers (50 or so), many locally brewed. There is also Fore Play which has a pair of KLF 30's playing, but that place is pretty much a dive (the bathrooms are the worst I've ever seen).

------------------

My System So Far:

Fronts: KLF 10 (Med. Oak)

Center: KLF C7 (Med. Oak)

Surrounds: Def. Tech BP6

Sub: SW-12II (Black Ash)

Receiver: H/K AVR 25II

DVD: Panasonic DVDR31S

CD: Yamaha CDC 655

If you want Klipsch, go to Hollywood Video Smile.gif

I still think Maine is scary Smile.gif. To close to Quebec Smile.gif

------------------

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

I'm in Maine, right on the coast, but about 2 hours from Rockland.

You just missed the Yarmouth Clam Festival last weekend....that is always a good time. Rockland is really located with nothing around it exciting, and it's really out and away from the main highways to shorten any trips.

New England Hi-Fi used to be a great Klipsch dealer, but in recent years they have gone to **** and really push Paradigm speakers. I bought my first pair of Klipsch speakers there back in 1990....KG 4's.

Tweeter is the biggest Klipsch dealer around here now, but their prices are way too high.

If you are driving back, you will end up coming down Rte. 1 to 295, then taking the Maine Turnpike down to New Hampshire. I am located off of exit 4 of the Maine Turnpike....about 7 miles from the exit and about 1 mile from the ocean. If you are up for a couple hour drive each way....let me know and maybe we can get together.

------------------

Home Theater Page

Well, no Klipsch because, one, I don't want to spend the $$$ for RB-5 II's yet, and two, my JBL's sound AWSOME! One of the magizines that reviewsed them compared them to a mini NHT 3.3, at $3,500 a pair.

I WILL do it, but I am not in a hurry. Also, I was hoping to remodel and have room for some Heritage gear, but that will not happen, so I am now starting to audition the RB-5 II's.

Trust me, the brand loyalty has been fused into my brain, I will buy Klipsch, and I LOVE the sound!

But, I will also have to consider new components and an Audi A4 1.8T 5-speed Quattro...

------------------

cwm24.gif

Frown.gif

------------------