SACD HDMI vs Analog

kyle bermingham

I have an Oppo BDP-103, which is hooked up to a Marantz AV-7701. I listen over a 5.1 system with RF-7s.

I presently listen to SACD by way of HDMI. I have read that hooking up SACD with analog is preferable for playback. If the difference is incredibly subtle and not all can hear it, I have no reason to believe I would. Additionally, if it is that marginal, I do not think I want to buy the right length cables, then get behind my equipment and hook them up, even if I could. However, if there is clearly a noticeable difference and it makes listening to multi-channel (I do not bother with 2-channel SACDs) more pleasurable, I will endeavor.

I would appreciate any input from those who have listened with both methods of connecting, or otherwise have any relevant thoughts. Thank you.

Edited by kyle bermingham

The quality of playback usually comes down to the onboard DACs of either the player or the preamp and the implementation of them. If the DACs and analog output stage of the Oppo is of better quality than that of the Marantz, then it would be better to connect via RCA's from Oppo to Marantz. If the opposite is true, then HDMI from Oppo to Marantz will yield "better" results. If all things "equal", then go with what is more convenient.

Bill

My Cambridge Audio 751BD, kind of an Oppo BDP-95 in an Oppo BDP-93 size package, has pretty high quality DACs and analog output section. The same can be said for my NAD T175HD pre/pro also. Therefore, it is pretty much a toss up.

In your case, with your Oppo 103 and Marantz 7701, it may also be a toss up. Now if you had the Oppo 103 with the Marantz 8801, things may lean toward HDMI from Oppo to Marantz because of the flagship quality of the 8801.

Critical listening sessions with your setup both ways is really the only way for you to know which is better, if any is.

Bill

Bill, I suspected the DACs were quite close, but like you stated, the 8801 is a step up in that regard. I know I am taking the lazy way out (not listening for myself), but I really do not want to go through the effort if there is a 1% difference. I am now just about certain I would not sense any difference.

I did live in Groveland when I worked for Clermont. We moved two years ago to the south St. Petersburg/Gulfport area.