Electrical Problem with ProMedia 2.1

snypes

Hey forum! I could use a little help trying to solve a problem I recently got with my ProMedia 2.1 desktop speakers. I've had these speakers for about 8 years now and they've been great. However, a few weeks ago I decided to move my desk to the other side of my room, and when I hooked up my speakers, I heard this loud constant hum coming from my left speaker, even with the volume all the way down (not a crackle but a steady hum). At one point, it got so loud that I could smell the speaker burning, so I unplugged the 3.5mm cable from the back of the speaker and left it alone. A couple days ago, I decided to look more closely, and I noticed that when I plug in the black and red wires into the Left Satellite +/- output, there was a bright spark and the hum returned. I tried swapping wires and speakers, and it's definitely the Left Satellite +/- only. I couldn't notice anything wrong from the outside, and I checked the fuse accessible from the outside as well as the two fuses on the inside, and they look fine. I also looked around in the inside to see if I could see any loose wires or burnt pieces, and everything looked good. I tried moving my speakers back to the outlet on the other side of the room that it was on previously and it still occurs. I would really love to continue using these speakers so it would be great if I could fix this. Thank you so much!

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like either a problem with the speakers or the sub/amp combo. What happens if you put the right speaker on the left satellite output?

Same problem occurs. I've tried all possible combinations and it only happens with the Left Satellite +/-.

And what are you using for the power source ? Amp ?

Not sure I understand the question. Sub is plugged into my outlet, and the right speaker is plugged into the sub pre-amp input. Those are the only options for a ProMedia 2.1

• 1 month later...