Deang LaScala/Crossover Thread

Deang

Well I'll tell you one thing flat out. The Jupiter's build quality makes a Jensen look like a cheap cap...I have never had an issue with using Jensen's utilized in crossovers or even a preamplifier but where high DC voltage is present like in an amplifier I have always flat out refused to use them. I just do not trust the longevity the way those caps are put together (sealed) coupled with a high DC voltage to block from sneaking into the next stage of an amplifier. The Jupiter's do not worry me in the least bit in that same application. Those caps are absolutely awesome and this is why I have told Dean to build me a custom set of AA's with them. Once they arrive then my Super X's are headed right to Dean for the same treatment. I bet the super X's with Jupiter's will best the modified type A (at a much higher overall cost)...but that is just my gut feeling. I believe Dean disagrees but our conversations always get side tracked so I could be wrong.

Dean I think your ego is pumped up and the mind is delusional from lack of sleep on the audio memory crap :wacko:

Ego? I'm too tired and too old for that nonsense - you're the one that feels like they have to win every damn argument.

I can remember whether I liked something or not, but can't necessarily remember all of the reasons why. That's why I said "sonic impressions" or something to that effect. It's an admission of NOT being able to recall specific details, so I don't know where my pumped up ego comes in. : P

There isn't anything wrong with the construction quality of the Jensens. That particular construction method has been around for a really long time, and wow, the leads are actually soldered. Those things are handmade with great care, and when was the last time you read about a failure -- like never.

Hi Bob, no, I'm not saying that, I don't think those caps are that bad, but you never know. : ) The Jupiters, like the Jensens, can be run off of the correct taps without causing the squawker to take over and dominate the sonic signature. The good films are just too bright, at least to my ears. I really don't want to have this argument again. 3dB is a lot of loss, and I still think it's related to DA.

Guest David H

I don't put much faith in audible memory. I however have to agree, I remember what sounded lousy.

I also agree, my Taurus rocks. You can keep the Mustangs.

Dave

Let me chime in here as I have just recently had a professional make & completed some judicious upgrade's to my new La Scala crossovers

Systems rely on a good marriage of many parts and how those parts interact with one another

One of those component parts is ourselves and how we interact with what's playing and most importantly on how we actually listen

My background in my younger days was with local bands in the form of setup, tune instruments by ear, sound checks and help in recording sessions

I can tell you that lots of people just don't know how to listen and I can relate on what Dean is alluding to

Although with my background in live music I thought I was a good judge of sound

But on one fateful day a good friend that was a member in a national orchestra taught me how to listen deeply

One day I may divulge what I learnt over a 2 hour conversation

Yes you can remember what you like and what you don't like and try to to get as much like as possible with tweaks and changes

Edited by Full Range

Ego? I'm too tired and too old for that nonsense - you're the one that feels like they have to win every damn argument.

I can remember whether I liked something or not, but can't necessarily remember all of the reasons why. That's why I said "sonic impressions" or something to that effect. It's an admission of NOT being able to recall specific details, so I don't know where my pumped up ego comes in. : P

There isn't anything wrong with the construction quality of the Jensens. That particular construction method has been around for a really long time, and wow, the leads are actually soldered. Those things are handmade with great care, and when was the last time you read about a failure -- like never.

Hi Bob, no, I'm not saying that, I don't think those caps are that bad, but you never know. : ) The Jupiters, like the Jensens, can be run off of the correct taps without causing the squawker to take over and dominate the sonic signature. The good films are just too bright, at least to my ears. I really don't want to have this argument again. 3dB is a lot of loss, and I still think it's related to DA.

" you're the one that feels like they have to win every damn argument " lmao say it isn't so :P

Since whoever gets the last word in usually wins, I just make sure I hang up on him a lot!

I'm behind on everything right now, especially shipping. I use a nice packing place down the street, and all I have to do is make it over there before they close. I'm not always real good at that. It's not always easy being your own shipping and receiving department.

So, that meant I still had Steve's AAs here last night, and since Deb and the kids were out visiting friends, I decided to load them up. With a whole week of solid listening behind me, I thought I would once more spend some time listening to them using the stock setting for the K-55. The session convinced me that I need to find a place for the Auricap in my builds, because the sound was really nice - but even so - with the volume up, the K-55s start running away from the rest of the system. For louder levels, the additional 3dB drop in midrange output works really well. I played with this for about an hour before putting my networks back in. All I can say is that the sound stayed smooth and balanced, with just the right amount of bite up through the most obscene volume levels. This behavior was very reminiscent of the Jensen PIOs.

There were other differences too, very evident with vocals and piano, which sounded much more life-like, vibrant and clear, but not stripped of their natural warmth. On tap 4, the other networks were just obnoxiously bright. My networks also did a much better job at separating out the instruments during busy, normally congested passages. System of a Down's "Toxicity" was amazing on these new networks.

post-1106-0-98100000-1404795125_thumb.jp

Edited by DeanG
  • Like 1

Last night I added a 128uF electrolytic in parallel with the K-33. I was curious to see what the effect on the resonance might be. Sure enough, it was greatly reduced, but then something else didn't sound right and I need to get my laptop down there to see what's going on.

Seems you've reduced the output at the frequency that the cabinet resonates at.

If you want a temporary, reversible fix for the cabinets, just buy a couple of cheap woodworking clamps and install them horizontally across the center of the dog house. It'll stop the buzz. I took the approach of crossing mine over at 70 Hz as opposed to modifying my cabs.

Since whoever gets the last word in usually wins, I just make sure I hang up on him a lot!

Geezzz just called Dean and now he's hanging up up me before we argue...talk about a stick in the mudd...

Too Funny

How funny you guys are still playing with lascalas. :)

:lol: I actually have some DeanG Supper AA with Audio Caps in mine........with 12 ga. copper foil inductors.

Hey Dean...........where do those stand today?

In your living room, so you can have something decent to listen to. : )

I was able to compare 12 AWG Copper foil to 12 AWG solid from Solen. DCR is real close to the same, but the bass lines really stand out with the foils, which doesn't make any sense - but it's easy to hear - especially with the kind of stuff I listen to.

Geezzz just called Dean and now he's hanging up up me before we argue...talk about a stick in the mudd...

Like you said in the voicemail, if I hang up before we talk, I win those too!

So I take it you no longer use v caps? The super AAs that you built me are awesome! One of the best upgrades ever!

Josh

Nope, still use them, In fact, Muel, has a nice pair I just built for him not too long ago.

I have a question Dean G

Where can one obtain those saddle straps that you have used on the square Jupiter capacitors

Many thanks in advance

Those are just 18" "screw head tie straps". Some call them "ties straps with mount".

Last night I added a 128uF electrolytic in parallel with the K-33. I was curious to see what the effect on the resonance might be. Sure enough, it was greatly reduced, but then something else didn't sound right and I need to get my laptop down there to see what's going on.

Seems you've reduced the output at the frequency that the cabinet resonates at.

If you want a temporary, reversible fix for the cabinets, just buy a couple of cheap woodworking clamps and install them horizontally across the center of the dog house. It'll stop the buzz. I took the approach of crossing mine over at 70 Hz as opposed to modifying my cabs.

I don't hear a "buzz", I hear a "hum". It's not really all that noticeable until you turn it up. Does everyone agree that it's at 70Hz?