Question on volume level setting

jimjimbo

Have been wondering this for a while, and just remembered to post it....So many questions, so little time...

Anyway, I have an Oppo BDP-103 Blu Ray source outputting to an Emotiva USP-1 pre-amp, hooked to my tube amp (ampsandsound Stereo 15 Special Edition). The Oppo and the Emotiva both have volume controls, the amp does not. Wondering where I should be doing the primary volume control on my end, either from the Oppo or Emo, and how the other should be statically set?

• Moderators

If it were me I set the Oppo wide open (or very close) and control it with the pre-amp, unless the oppo causes any noise set like that.

Don't really see why they have a volume control on a bd player unless you can use it as a pre-amp, I would still run it like that.

There is a fixed output setting on the 103 also.

Yes, isn't that for the initial volume setting though, so that you don't overdrive anything when you first turn it on..? I think so....Default level i believe is 40.

You can set it to fixed or variable. Fixed sets it at 100 (max) and variable allows volume control thru the player / remote. You can still set a max volume and an "on" volume for when the player powers up.

If it were me I set the Oppo wide open (or very close) and control it with the pre-amp, unless the oppo causes any noise set like that.

Don't really see why they have a volume control on a bd player unless you can use it as a pre-amp, I would still run it like that.

Some use it as a pre. It has a few hdmi inputs and a few hdmi outputs. It also has a pretty nice speaker set up. With big small xo,levels, locations, distance and more.

Edited by reference_head