Cornwall I or Cornwall II?

jimmytamp

Hi Gents,

Finally i decided to go on Cornwall I, with some of the thoughts that it's alot easier for me as a 1stimer on Conrwall to do future upgrade myself, to work from the back panel.

I'll keep an updtae or maybe start a new thread once I received the speakers.

Thanks for all advices.

Cheers,

Jimmy

have you considered a Chorus or better still a Chorus ll with much better horns that you can upgrade to all titanium diaphragms and a WAY better cast basket woofer? Wait did I say that the horns were much better? Add 2.5 ounces of dead weight to re tune the passive on the Chorus ll or add vent extensions 6.5" long with the Chorus for much deeper bass than any CW can achieve. The Chorus or Chorus ll can take gobs more power that would simply fuse a K33 woofer. Not much of a contest. Just a thought. Best regards Moray James..

Edited by moray james
  • Like 1

Thanks, Moray.

Just to info that initially I was looking for Chorus/Chorus II but did't find any sellers whom willing to ship it.

Finally i found two potential sellers (CW I & II) who are willing to ship those speakers.

Cheers,

Jimmy

Edited by jimmytamp

moray james:

Can you elaborate how much power you are speaking of?

JJK

Frequency Response: 39Hz-20kHz(+-)3dB SENSITIVITY: 101dB @ 1watt/1meter POWER HANDLING: 100 watts maximum continuous (1000 watts peak) MAX ACOUSTIC OUTPUT: 121dB SPL NOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 8 ohms TWEETER: K-79-K 1" (2.54cm) Polymer diaphragm compression driver HIGH FREQUENCY HORN: 90(o)x40(o) Exponential Horn MIDRANGE: K-61-K 1.5" (3.81cm) Phenolic diaphragm compression driver MID FREQUENCY HORN: 90(o)x40(o) Tractrix® Horn WOOFER: K-48-E 15" (38.1cm) Fiber-composite cone active / KD-16 15" (38.1cm) Fiber-composite cone passive CROSSOVER FREQUENCY: HF 5,000 Hz<br>LF 600 Hz ENCLOSURE MATERIAL: Medium density fiberboard construction (MDF) ENCLOSURE TYPE: Bass reflex via passive radiator DIMENSIONS: 39" (99.06cm) x 18.5" (46.99cm) x 15.5" (39.37cm) WEIGHT: 89 lbs. (40.4kg) FINISHES: Walnut Oil, Oak Oil, Oak Clear, Finished Black Built From: 1990 BUILT UNTIL: 1996

I absolutely love the Chorus speakers. I've powered them with as little as 20 watts via tube gear and all the way up to 625 watts via Solid State Sunfire power and they sound great. A good solid 300 watts will drive them just fine though to their full potential.

I've never heard the Cornwall II's but I did own a pair of the originals for a short time. In my honest opinion my Chorus II's blew the doors off the Cornwalls hand down. The Chorus II's were smoother sounding by far-- those metal horns in the Cornwall's went plenty loud but cover your ears and run at anything over mid volume. Also, the bass absolutely SUCKED with the Cornwall's unless they were pressed tight to the inside corners of the room, away from the wall at all and the bass just disappeared. So I would say go for the II's but I'm sure others will offer different advice as the Cornwall's seem to have a massive following for some unknown (to me) reason. Good luck with whatever you choose!

I disagree about the bass on a Cornwall sucking, even out of a Corner. The poster's opinion is like a lone voice in the desert with no power. No reviewer, even those with $30,000 worth of pro measurement gear ever said that the Cornwall bass sucked. Compared to a stack of 6 LAB horns per channel, yes, everything sucks, so I strongly disagree with this ridiculous opinion.

I agree about the Chorus II sounding more detailed and blanced. I have owned just about every model of the Heritage line many times over as well as Forte, Chorus, Chorus II, KG, etc.

Overall, the best sounding all around was the Chorus II at my office before it became a surround, then sold off for all LaScala surrounds.

But, with a Cornwall 1, you have the opportunity to upgrade the woofer to an Eminence 15C to get better midrange and better transient response, and also upgrade the mid Horn to a wooden tractrix from Fastrac and cross lower for more detail, keeping the K55V driver. So I would go for the 1.

Edited by ClaudeJ1
  • Like 1

I absolutely love the Chorus speakers. I've powered them with as little as 20 watts via tube gear and all the way up to 625 watts via Solid State Sunfire power and they sound great. A good solid 300 watts will drive them just fine though to their full potential.

Ah yes, another DB freak heard from. Been there, done that in my rock band days. I don't want to be the next Peter Townsend, who has been deaf before his time. Saving my hearing by getting the very best overall micro detail, transient response. The bigger the horns, the less power you need and the fewer DB's you need to be "satisfied" without going deaf. This one of PWK's biggest peeves: "35 Watts is a hell of a lot of power."

have you considered a Chorus or better still a Chorus ll with much better horns that you can upgrade to all titanium diaphragms and a WAY better cast basket woofer? Wait did I say that the horns were much better? Add 2.5 ounces of dead weight to re tune the passive on the Chorus ll or add vent extensions 6.5" long with the Chorus for much deeper bass than any CW can achieve. The Chorus or Chorus ll can take gobs more power that would simply fuse a K33 woofer. Not much of a contest. Just a thought. Best regards Moray James..

Just build my Quarter Pie and an F-20 Sub if you want even more bass without increasing the watts. Your ears will thank you. Any direct radiatin 15" woofer produces 15-25 db more distortion than a horn loaded one. This is why PWK, over time, did not recommend a Cornwall or Heresy for a center channel between Khorns and designed the Belle. Lower distortion will cause your to turn down your volume and still be satisfied. If not, you can crank it even louder with the same watts. Either way, it's a win. It's your hearing either way.

Edited by ClaudeJ1

Hi Gents,

Finally i decided to go on Cornwall I, with some of the thoughts that it's alot easier for me as a 1stimer on Conrwall to do future upgrade myself, to work from the back panel.

I'll keep an updtae or maybe start a new thread once I received the speakers.

Thanks for all advices.

Cheers,

Jimmy

Good choice.

• Like 1

I disagree about the bass on a Cornwall sucking, even out of a Corner. The poster's opinion is like a lone voice in the desert with no power. No reviewer, even those with $30,000 worth of pro measurement gear ever said that the Cornwall bass sucked. Compared to a stack of 6 LAB horns per channel, yes, everything sucks, so I strongly disagree with this ridiculous opinion.

The ones I heard at Klipsch HQ sounded awful, with very muddy bass. The Chorus line, as far as I'm concerned, will kick the Cornwalls to the curb. Much easier room placement, too.

Bruce

Edited by Marvel
  • Like 2

Ah yes, another DB freak heard from.

Actually no, 95% of my listening enjoyment is at very low volume, easily able to talk over. The other 5% of the time usually involves a few friends and a whole lot alcohol and yes, I like to pound it out, shake things up a bit. With the Chorus II's I don't have to worry about blowing anything up as they are loud enough that I don't have to turn them up to max volume even when drinking as I've blown many lesser speakers that way.

Edited by jjptkd

Ah yes, another DB freak heard from.

Actually no, 95% of my listening enjoyment is at very low volume, easily able to talk over. The other 5% of the time usually involves a few friends and a whole lot alcohol and yes, I like to pound it out, shake things up a bit. With the Chorus II's I don't have to worry about blowing anything up as they are loud enough that I don't have to turn them up to max volume even when drinking as I've blown many lesser speakers that way.

As a former Cornwall, Chorus, and Chorus II owner, I totally agree with you in terms of overall performance. I just found your comment about Cornwall bass "sucking" to be overly amplified, that's all.

After all, that is why Klipsch evolved their 3-way reflex system (drone cones being similar). I believe the main reason they went back to producing a Cornwall was all of the protest they got from letter writers. Plus it's easier to market the true "Heritage" line that way.

So yes, someone with less than, say, less than $700 to spend on a pair of umgawakikbootie speakers with a small footprint, it would take me about 2 milliseconds to recomment the Chorus II, which was/is my favorite of the three. Although the Cornwall 1 is the easiest to customize and upgrade.

That being said the OP wanted to know about the CW 1 vs. the CW II and the Chorus II was never part of the equation until your post. I'm just sayin'

Edited by ClaudeJ1

• 1 month later...

The ones I heard at Klipsch HQ sounded awful, with very muddy bass. The Chorus line, as far as I'm concerned, will kick the Cornwalls to the curb. Much easier room placement, too.

Bruce

I have had 1979 Cornwalls and Chorus II's. Nothing beats the bass of the Cornwall. Not muddy at all and phenomenal presence. The best speaker to listen at lower volumes. Easy speaker placement. Throw in a corner and toed in... done. In a small room still sounds amazing!

The Chorus II has better midrange than the Cornwall. Better speaker for heavy metal and hard rock for sure. Great and higher volumes pushing alot of power. Speaker placement was a *****. You need a very suitable listening room and not great in a small listening areas if you want to crank it. I enjoyed having both speakers but I'm in love with my Altec 19's.

Edited by Bruford
  • Like 1