What subs to pair with KP 301's?

HOGFAN

I'm looking at adding a little low-end to my KP 301's. I'd like to keep it under say $500 if possible. What would be a good pair of subs to add....something that would complement the 301's very well? I prefer to buy used (per my price point).

Thanks,

Hogfan

To my ears, the KP480/4000 is only slightly less flatulent sounding than the dreaded KP115. I like the full KP301 sound on it's own, but if you're looking for more output, limiting the 15" to <80Hz, and picking up the lowest octaves with sub would help. How portable do these need to be? Garage/workshop/backyard use or pro/dj?

a good set of used EV TL bins might be nice. 15" in tuned enclosure. Even running the KP301 full range, extending the bass with another cabinet and amp would really add some punch. TL606 I think is the model, you could lay it on it's side and set the 301 on top possibly. I have a pair here, might try it out.

Much would depend on your application and room size.

If you plan on using these for pro sound usage the minimum i would recommend would be a pair of 15" or a good 18" professional subwoofer.

For home audio much would depend on room size and if they would be used for music only or home theater application.

Edited by jason str

so a single powered one would do the trick? That would be a much simpler solution, you just plug it in like you're indoors. Place against a wall on a hard patio surface or corner load if at all possible. Versus biamping, getting a pair of boxes and another amp (not within the stated budget).

To my ears, the KP480/4000 is only slightly less flatulent sounding than the dreaded KP115

I don't know how you powered them or what type of environment you had yours in but mine sound pretty damn good after getting the right amp on them. When I first brought these home I tried hooking up the rear channels from my 225x5 Sunfire amp to drive them and they barely turned on. I immediately pulled out a set of Carver A-400x amplifiers to run as mono-blocks to drive them at 500 watts a side. They sounded better and went louder but were still "slow" and not up to flush. I found a nice Samson SX2400 on eBay for a good price and ordered it up. Let me tell you the bass went from OK to very dynamic. Tight and snappy with enough power to blur your vision. The Samson amp thoroughly drives these subs and keeps them in control. Not only are they louder than with the Carver's, they seem to hit lower and even the upper bass seems more defined. So, long story short, these subs rock pretty good but they are power hungry. At least that's my experience with them.

Edited by jjptkd

I ran my KP 302's with a pair of Danley TH115's sounded amazing you really only need one TH115 for home use I know where there is some used ones in the Atlanta area for around $1100 each if you are interested send me a email at aayrassian@yahoo.com and I'll give you the contact info.

• 1 month later...

FWIW, I have retuned my KP301 cabinets to a lower frequency - mathematically, they are tuned to 38 hz, by extending one of the ports into the cabinet. They certainly have a lower range now. I use mine for home theater/home stereo, so I don't miss any loss of SPL that may have occured by retuning the cabinets. With 125 dB @ 400 watts continuous, I felt I had room to sacrifice (heh, heh).

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Over the weekend, I picked up a pair of Velodyne DLS-5000R subwoofers.  They have 15" drivers in a vented cabinet, forward firing, 600 watt class D, with some DSP eq.  Since I use my KP301-B-Br as mains in my HT, these subwoofers compliment them nicely.  I plan on purchasing the new Mad Max on Blu Ray tomorrow to really put my system through it's paces.  While these may not be the best subwoofers ever, they were very inexpensive and are just like knew.  The PO must have had $50k worth of HT gear in his house, so these might as well be straight out of the box.  

Now for an Academy center or a solo Heresy.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...