New Klipsch REFERENCE Speakers (link)

Sancho Panza

RF-10, RF-15, RF-42 and matching centers/surrounds are all legacy bottom tier speakers from the Reference line that I would hardly consider "reference" quality when compared against the RF-7, RF-5, RF-83, etc. This is strategy is nothing new guys. They're simply doing away with the synergy and icon lines and so you feel the beloved reference line will somehow be diluted - rather than elevating the quality of those products to the Reference standard.

This will make their product lines more streamlined and focused on distinct areas of performance - Palladium, Heritage, Reference, THX Ultra 2, and Pro Media.

In any case, why do you give a damn, especially since it sounds like the top tier offerings will still be around if you do ever get around to buying a new pair. There's a lot of armchair punditry in here without giving any consideration towards the time and effort that went into these decisions.

• Like 1

There will be further differentiation in the Reference line in both naming and products. The key word in the press release is "tiered."

We just can't put all of our cards on the table quite yet. Trust me, everyone will be very, very happy by the end of 2014.

• Like 1

RF-10, RF-15, RF-42 and matching centers/surrounds are all legacy bottom tier speakers from the Reference line that I would hardly consider "reference" quality when compared against the RF-7, RF-5, RF-83, etc. This is strategy is nothing new guys. They're simply doing away with the synergy and icon lines and so you feel the beloved reference line will somehow be diluted - rather than elevating the quality of those products to the Reference standard.

This will make their product lines more streamlined and focused on distinct areas of performance - Palladium, Heritage, Reference, THX Ultra 2, and Pro Media.

In any case, why do you give a damn, especially since it sounds like the top tier offerings will still be around if you do ever get around to buying a new pair. There's a lot of armchair punditry in here without giving any consideration towards the time and effort that went into these decisions.

There will be further differentiation in the Reference line in both naming and products. The key word in the press release is "tiered."

We just can't put all of our cards on the table quite yet. Trust me, everyone will be very, very happy by the end of 2014.

two great posts...

Just a quick note: I've been working on an application (that will live on the Web initially, with the potential to be in store kiosks at some point) that helps the consumer decide "which reference is right for me?" based on some input. It's something that Klipsch has needed for a long time anyway, but this presents the perfect opportunity to make it happen. Look for that sometime in the near future.

My point is, we aren't just going to say, "Hey, here's a bunch of Reference speakers, it's a crap shoot!". There is a method to our madness, that isn't quite spelled out 100% in the press release, because we aren't ready to announce everything at this time.

You web app definitely sounds like a good idea, but it appears to be (at least partially) solving a problem that didn't exist before all of the speakers were grouped under the Reference umbrella.

I guess what remains unclear to me are the benefits of calling the majority of the speakers "Reference." Isn't "Klipsch" the most important branding, not "Reference?" In other words, what's to be gained by calling all speakers "Klipsch Reference" as opposed to just plain "Klipsch?" I'd be willing to bet that the "Reference" moniker is of real meaning only to Klipsch enthusiasts, and by diluting its meaning, it potentially alienates current Klipsch enthusiasts and needlessly confuses potential future customers.

Oh well, I honestly don't care that much one way or the other about the new brand direction, I just think it's an incredibly peculiar decision whose plus-sides are nebulous at best right now. I guess all will be made clear when the entirety of the line-up in introduced.

Edited by Schwa

You give a damn exactly as much as I give a damn; that is, just enough to post about it on a public forum. I can't speak for others, but I'm not losing any sleep over Klipsch's decision. I'll grant you that without knowing the full extent of the line-up we're forming opinions without a complete set of information. But it certainly makes for an interesting discussion topic!

Just because the marketing guys spent a lot of "time and effort" to come up with this new tiering strategy doesn't mean we don't appreciate it or shouldn't question it. I like Klipsch very, very much (you should see the stash of speakers living in my basement), but I'm not so much of a fanboy that I won't question things that looks fishy on first glance.

I certainly look forward to it!

• Administrators
You web app definitely sounds like a good idea, but it appears to be (at least partially) solving a problem that didn't exist before all of the speakers were grouped under the Reference umbrella.

The problem has existed for a long time. this solution is something that we've wanted for a very long time.

Just because the marketing guys spent a lot of "time and effort" to come up with this new tiering strategy doesn't mean we don't appreciate it or shouldn't question it.

Well within your right. However I should point out this was a company decision, not just something we goons in the marketing dept dreamed up one lazy afternoon between arm-wrestling the engineering department, napping, and playing tiddly-winks..

• Like 1

• Moderators
However I should point out this was a company decision, not just something we goons in the marketing dept dreamed up one lazy afternoon between arm-wrestling the engineering department, napping, and playing tiddly-winks..

So it wasn't done on a Wed, Thu of Friday. :emotion-21:

There ya go Schwa, I surely could care less what they do with the RF line and I posted for the second time here. :P

Within the industry, the word "reference" is universally understood to mean "that to which all others are compared." It loses most of its shine when you have a dinky tower called Reference 1.6.3.2.1.0 and three speakers over is a massive Cerwin Vega with a 18" going for $10 more. : )

• Like 1

The Klipsch HR talent acquisition team should be combing this thread for board member replacements. :rolleyes:

Again with the ad hominem attacks, eh? Very clever. :rolleyes:

Here's mine: I guess some people around here are so offended when anyone questions any of Klipsch's actions that they feel compelled to strike back with personal insults. The Emotiva Lounge is knee-deep with folks like this; I guess I thought we could entertain a few dissenting opinions over here without certain people throwing a hissy-fit. :P

dissent until you're blue in the face... but at least wait until all of the products are released and the company has a chance to unveil their vision. Right now all you've got is some cryptic employee teasers, some leaked photos and a "review", and a very minimalist press release. right now everything you guys have expressed is pure conjecture and THAT is my entire point.

are we not allowed to express our opinion? can we not say touche when they release something that is fantastic and in fact proves everything we said was wrong? i just dont get it?

all we have said is that we just dont get why it is being made into one line? thats it.