New Klipsch REFERENCE Speakers (link)

Sancho Panza

^^

Well, the RF-3s are the ancestors of the current RF-82IIs, so I'd expect them to sound more like the Reference II line than the newer, lower-tier Reference line.

That said, I agree that evaluating speakers in Best Buy probably isn't the best idea, but you know this. FWIW I've always been pleased with the performance of my non-Reference II speakers (Synergy, Icon W) -- at their respective price points, they're excellent performers and great values.

• Like 1

Everybody has an opinion...

I have had the RF-3's, RF-63's the F-30's and now my current Rf-62 II's. I think the RF-62's sound better than my old RF-3's. I'd even put the F-30 over the RF-3's in terms of performance and looks.

I also prefer the copper dust covers over the black ones, I think they look 100x's better.

Like I said, everybody has an opinion...

I'm really hoping the new (potentially) line of speakers, along with Reference II remains of a higher quality. I happened to listen to a pair of these new speakers at Best Buy today when getting a new TV for school and was totally disappointed with what I heard and saw. Might just be my preference to the II's or the environment, but these just sounded bland to me and certainly didn't make me very excited for what was new. What it did do though is make me thankful for the sets that I currently own.

I remain optimistic at what new comes to the other lines though. But I have to admit, I'd love to see coil covers again. The older reference speakers were just absolutely beautiful.

Reference II will remain as is.

It's hard to get a good idea of how good something sounds within a big box store, just keep that in mind.

As we've stated before, the new Reference line will have something for just about everybody. We're just getting started! :)

Hurry up :P

I'm waiting to see what the new hotness is before I buy all of my equipment from you guys. B)

• Like 1

Everybody has an opinion...

I have had the RF-3's, RF-63's the F-30's and now my current Rf-62 II's. I think the RF-62's sound better than my old RF-3's. I'd even put the F-30 over the RF-3's in terms of performance and looks.

I also prefer the copper dust covers over the black ones, I think they look 100x's better.

Like I said, everybody has an opinion...

Indeed, everyone has an opinion. I thought my RF-3s sounded far better than my F-3s (which, aside from trim colors, are basically identical to F-30s). But the F-3s definitely looked better. My RF-7IIs -- well, they trump them all. :)

However, I gotta ask...why'd you go from RF-63s to RF-62IIs? :huh:

Edited by Schwa

It was a huge mistake.. I change out HT gear like crazy. I will probably buy RF-63's or RF-83's next, if they ever pop up locally. I actually had the F-3's, not the F-30's, just couldn't remember the model name.

It was a huge mistake.. I change out HT gear like crazy. I will probably buy RF-63's or RF-83's next, if they ever pop up locally. I actually had the F-3's, not the F-30's, just couldn't remember the model name.

yeah I'm a fan of changing gear all the time too but once I sold the 63's I knew I screwed up. The thx line wasn't easy to let go. But it got replaced with something much better. Now that I have two really great stereos I don't spend hours a day looking for gear anymore. Pretty happy with everything I got.

• 2 weeks later...

At least they didn't slop glue all over the crossovers this time.

It makes me think the Original RF-7s were the last "upgrade" to what they replaced....Of course, that's my 2 cents and it seems that Klipsch later speakers do seem to compete well at the various price points.

I think the RF-7 II were a fantastic upgrade to the originals and all the ones in between. IMO they are the best looking and sounding speakers (haven't heard heritage or Palladiums) to come out of Klipsch.

Any new subwoofer updates you can share Alex? 

I was going to buy another sub but apparently some parts are a few months out... If these new subs are around the corner, i'd rather wait and see the new Klipsch offerings before I buy something else. 

• Like 1

Same here. I'm outfitting 2 rooms with 7.1, and anxiously awaiting what the next gen Klipsch stuff has to offer. But I'll only wait so long, as I have another quote I may pull the trigger on from Paradigm. Curious to see what this next generation improves over the current Reference II line.

I  just read this at the AVS forum that the new R-28Fs are awesome and compete with the older Klipschhons and Lascalas but actually sound as good as the RF-7IIs if you use the new sub!

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/680426-klipsch-owner-thread-1268.html#post26851817

You guys aren't as fun as some other forums....but all joking aside I am actually a klipsch owner and I've rebuilt/copied several heritage series models from the mid to late 70's including but not limited to the klipschorns. That being said, I do give a thumbs up recommendation for the new r-28f and the the r-12sw subwoofer. I actually got a chance to compare the r-28f/r-12sw combo side by side with a set of 76' la scalas and a pair of 90' klipschorns in a very small playhouse auditorium in highlands,nc. All pairs were bi amped with qsc amplifiers for the horns and crown amps for the woofers. I was actually surprised at how little the difference was, sound stage wise, between the new reference combo and the ol heritage sluggers. Even the chamber quarter that plays there every week could tell only subtle differences. I think that is a lot to be said about them, for what it's worth.

I have owned a few pairs of rf-7II's and there is virtually almost no difference between them and the r-28f with the r-12sw added. That's pretty awesome for half the price on average, pretty much giving up 4 10"s for 4 8"s and a 12" sub.

If you live in the DFW area and plan on jumping on these please feel free to PM me if you have LaScalas, Klipschhorns, or the older RF-7s!

• Like 2

I'm sorry to say, but I totally disagree with that review.  That's a really bold statement to make that I don't think many of us would agree with.  I'll accept to each their own, but I personally don't find the new reference line to even touch the RF-7's - old or new.

• Like 1