Hard drive partitons

Dman155

HAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!

You got a Compaq!!!

Hahahaaa!!

I don't see how you could do that, maybe you could format your drive, then setup the puter like you would for a normal one, using standard windows installation...

But I don't see why you'd really want to do this, having 2 partitions doesn't do anything... I mean, the D: partition is really small anyways, so you're not missing on any hard drive space...

If you have data on both partitions, you are in for trouble.

If you don't, you can use Partition Magic to delete the unused partition and add the reclaimed space to the first partition.

But, there is no reason to not have two partitions.

Just be a little thoughtful and logical about where you put "stuff".

I often use a D partition for "data" and the C partition for programs, etc.

Seb, I got a Compaq cause my Dad works for them and I got a good deal. I had no experience with compaqs prior to this computer (so I didn't know what I was in for) and I've already replaced most of the components because it came with crap.

The partitons are even in disk space. Its a 13 gig hard drive split almost exactly in half. I've been using one disk for music only, but I ran out of space so now I have to have another music file on the other disk. Its just an annoyance having two files, but I guess I'll deal with it.

Yeah, I know what you mean, my girlfriend's mom bought a Compaq, I let her buy it cuz I didn't know anything about Comcrap before... Boy oh boy do I regret that! I'M having nothing but problems with it, everything is messed up and it's SOOOO slow!

You mean you have more than 6.5 gigs of music files?? That's a lot! But of course you must have the original CDs to all of them, right? RIGHT?? smile.gif

Of course I have all the CD's. Well between my friends and myself I probably have about 3/4 of them. Anyway, thats a good name, comcrap. I'm gonna tell my dad to submit a proposal for a company name change.

I know what you mean about problems. When I first got it, I must have spent a couple days talking to customer service trying to get the integrated sound disabled (don't laugh). Anyway, I'm gonna build a new rig soon anyway. Any suggestions for components? Its been a while since I've built a system and I'm not up on all the new gear.

Specifically, whats good for:

Mboard: 100$

Hard drive: 150$

DVD: 100$

Cheapest GeForce2 GTS board?

Best price on an SB Platinum 5.1?

Those prices are for ebay, ubid, egghead etc.

Dman155

Partition Magic allows you to MERGE the 2 partitions. The data on the D: drive will be put into a folder(which you name) on the resulting larger C: drive. After this is done, you can allow Drive Mapper to repair the drive letter associations or you could do that manually.

I bought PM 5.0(6.0 is now available)for $50 at buy.com. It had a $15 mail-in rebate at the time, so net was $35. It has an easy to use interface(Wizards)and is practically fool-proof.

I've also seen a demo version available on several of the Maximum PC CD's,but I'm not certain which functions are disabled in the demo.

Dman,

You should check out the "general computer questions" part of this BB. There's recently been a few parts-related posts by Kblair and Tekk on mobo's/processors, vid cards, etc. I personally like pricewatch for computer parts. GF2 GTS DDR for around $157 last I checked. Good prices on memory and processors and mobo's too, I think.

Hope this helps!

Partition Magic is a must have. I have used it since version 3. Just ordered version 6 (Only a $29 upgrade, see it does help to own the originals! biggrin.gif) This program has been a real life saver.c>

------------------

SO MUCH TO DO, SO LITTLE TIME.c>

• 2 weeks later...

partition Magic is a MUST HAVE!!! I just got V6 and it's great.

On that Compaq, make sure it doesn't have a small 8mb or 16mb partition on the HD. Mine did, I deleted it and then couldn't get into the BIOS (evidently, it was a diagnostic/bios partition). It showedup in FDISK as "unknown" file type.

c>

------------------

Who knows what evil lurks in the darkness of The Kave ?

www.thekave.net Home of The Klipschmonster!

Oh, and pricewatch is a great place to START looking when building a new system. One vendor that shows upa lot is Comp-U-Plus in New York. I've ordered from them several times and haven't had a problem. They don't always have the lowest prices, but they ship fast and are accurate. That's where I ordered by Live 5.1 from.

c>

------------------

Best Motherboard: Asus A7V

Best Processor: Athlon Thunderbird (socket A)

Best Hard drives: IBM and Seagate

Best Soundcard: Soundblaster Live! 5.1 Platinum but the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz is a great alternative at half the price.

Best Videocard: Get the Nvidia Geforce 2 series, if you are on a budget get the Radeon 32MB ($50 rebate right now)

Check out buy.com, compuplus.com

------------------

Hytek

hytek369@hotmail.com

josta_aim.jpg

Mobos - Abit KT7-RAID, ASUS K7V

Processor - AMD Tbird

Harddrive - IBM

Video cards - For Quake III = GeForce2 Ultra

For DVD and excellent gaming - ATI Radeon

For flight sims using FSAA = VooDoo5

CDRW - Plextor

DVD drive - Pioneer

Modem - external USR

Monitor - Sony GDM-FW900 Widescreen Trinitron

Speakers - DUH!

CDROM - Plextor

Soundcard - SB Live 5.1 or SantaCruz

c>

------------------