PTP Solid 9 In the house

joshnich

My New PTP Solid 9 Turntable arrived this week. It was ready to be shipped a couple of weeks ago, but I was on vacation so I had Peter Reinders, the builder, hold off on shipping until I returned. Coincidentally while on vacation we spent a few days in Amsterdam and were able to meet up with Peter and enjoy a few beers with him. A side note – Peter uses home built LaScalas in his system you can see his build here http://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index.php?topic=9873.0

In my previous thread about the TT there was a bit of discussion about whether you could “hear” a turntable. Or what the effect of the turntable would be. I do not think you can hear a turntable but its clear to me that a turntable can have a significant effect on the quality of playback.

I set the table up last night and gave it its first spin. The difference is significant and amazing. It is not a small improvement it is dramatic. I will try to verbalize what we were hearing but first a little background on the TTs that I have used recently. I say we as my wife met Peter as well and was intrigued to hear the new TT. Needless to say she was a bit skeptical that there would be differences in turntables. She became a true believer after about 5 seconds of listening.

When I re-entered the world of vinyl, I started with a VPI HW19 that over time I upgraded to a Mk IV. I sold that in favor of a clearaudio champion which I sold to buy a champion level 2 . Additionally along the way I had a Thorens TD 124 and a Linn LP 12. I did significant upgrades on the Linn. I could never get the Thorens dialed in. Always had rumble issues. But if I could ignore the rumble I could tell that power of the delivery was there. The PTP delivers the drive of the Thorens but without the rumble and complicated mechanicals. The other tables mentioned are not even close to producing the liveliness and presence provided by the PTP.

One of the things that is quite noticeable is that you can hear and feel the percussive component of acoustic stringed instruments. Acoustic Guitars, Pianos, Violins etc all have a percussive component that comes alive with this turntable. A violin section can sound somewhat smeared but not with this table. The violin section comes alive with drive and power that is not apparent on the other tables. This is just one example. The best way to describe the difference is that the music comes alive. The idler drive “drives” the stylus through complicated passages with out drag and the effect on the quality of playback is incredible.

I think that Peter has mitigated the negatives associated with idler drives by separating the motor plate from the bearing - eliminating the rumble that was apparent on my thorens. The Lenco drive system is elegantly simple.

This is an eye opener. I can see why both Art Dudley and 6Moons went gaga over this table. And why a similar idler drive turntable replaced a Forsell TT as Arthur Salvadores reference table.

If anyone is thinking of upgrading their vinyl front end the PTP Solid should be on the short list.

post-10189-0-25000000-1404410993_thumb.j

• Moderators

Very nice looking also, many tables look like they landed here from another planet, guess it makes them look "special".

Nice that you and the wife could meet the builder also, very cool. I know vinyl sounds great, I do remember, but I am not going back there, but completely understand why people do. Bet it sounds great.

Nice write up.........Vacation in Amsterdam...............I was close to there for about 3 weeks while on TDY while in the army (closest I have ever come to vacation)

enjoy the table

which arm cart are you using ??

Joe

Edited by joessportster

Nice write up.........Vacation in Amsterdam...............I was close to there for about 3 weeks while on TDY while in the army (closest I have ever come to vacation)

enjoy the table

which arm cart are you using ??

Joe

Hello Joe

The arm is an Origin Live Encounter MK3 I am using a Shelter 5000 cartridge for the moment.

Josh

My New PTP Solid 9 Turntable arrived this week. It was ready to be shipped a couple of weeks ago, but I was on vacation so I had Peter Reinders, the builder, hold off on shipping until I returned. Coincidentally while on vacation we spent a few days in Amsterdam and were able to meet up with Peter and enjoy a few beers with him. A side note – Peter uses home built LaScalas in his system you can see his build here http://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index.php?topic=9873.0

In my previous thread about the TT there was a bit of discussion about whether you could “hear” a turntable. Or what the effect of the turntable would be. I do not think you can hear a turntable but its clear to me that a turntable can have a significant effect on the quality of playback.

I set the table up last night and gave it its first spin. The difference is significant and amazing. It is not a small improvement it is dramatic. I will try to verbalize what we were hearing but first a little background on the TTs that I have used recently. I say we as my wife met Peter as well and was intrigued to hear the new TT. Needless to say she was a bit skeptical that there would be differences in turntables. She became a true believer after about 5 seconds of listening.

When I re-entered the world of vinyl, I started with a VPI HW19 that over time I upgraded to a Mk IV. I sold that in favor of a clearaudio champion which I sold to buy a champion level 2 . Additionally along the way I had a Thorens TD 124 and a Linn LP 12. I did significant upgrades on the Linn. I could never get the Thorens dialed in. Always had rumble issues. But if I could ignore the rumble I could tell that power of the delivery was there. The PTP delivers the drive of the Thorens but without the rumble and complicated mechanicals. The other tables mentioned are not even close to producing the liveliness and presence provided by the PTP.

One of the things that is quite noticeable is that you can hear and feel the percussive component of acoustic stringed instruments. Acoustic Guitars, Pianos, Violins etc all have a percussive component that comes alive with this turntable. A violin section can sound somewhat smeared but not with this table. The violin section comes alive with drive and power that is not apparent on the other tables. This is just one example. The best way to describe the difference is that the music comes alive. The idler drive “drives” the stylus through complicated passages with out drag and the effect on the quality of playback is incredible.

I think that Peter has mitigated the negatives associated with idler drives by separating the motor plate from the bearing - eliminating the rumble that was apparent on my thorens. The Lenco drive system is elegantly simple.

This is an eye opener. I can see why both Art Dudley and 6Moons went gaga over this table. And why a similar idler drive turntable replaced a Forsell TT as Arthur Salvadores reference table.

If anyone is thinking of upgrading their vinyl front end the PTP Solid should be on the short list.

attachicon.gifP1070265.JPG

Beautiful table Josh, just beautiful! Very nice review as well. Sounds like Peter really delivers the goods.

Curious as to which bearing you went with. Stock or his upgrade?

Hi Josh,

Thank you very much for your enthusiastic review.

I'm very glad you like it and I have to say it looks great in its new habitat

It is always a pleasure to meet a customer in the flesh, it adds a personal note all the emails can never bring.

Of course the fact that we're both Klipsch owners makes it even better :) :)

Jordan, I did go with the upgraded bearing. Given the reviews I had read and speaking with Peter it made sense.

Josh

I was convinced you did but wanted to verify. Would not make sense to do otherwise with a new build for the additional cost.

That new bearing is a work of art to say the least.

That was a great read! Dug into into it for a couple of hours. There are nice reviews on the net! Funny how a Dutchie learns about an Amsterdam TT manufacturer on the Klipsch forum. I learned a lot! Thanks again.

Brainstorming I would be very interested how the TT would sound with the Holborne arm and a Jan Allaerts cart.

http://www.holborne.ch/products/dualpivot

https://www.planetofsounddistribution.com/products/p/Jan-Allaerts-MC-1-Boron-Phono-Cartridge

The cart is a bit expensive..., but so is the arm... :rolleyes:

Edited by Timmikid