Suggestions for a new sub woofer for my system

vigiano

I just ordered at Marantz 7007 receiver and I would like to update my klipsch RW12d sub woofer with something that will play music as well as movies at a higher level. Also the stereo is in a 20 by 20 Family room with 8 foot ceilings. I placed the tv and speakers in the corner pointing out at a l shaped couch about 12 feet from the speakers. At least that's what Audysey measured them at. Any suggestions. I can spend up to $1000. I have a klipsch RF 82, Rc 62, rs 52 surround speakers, Can you guys help me out. I don't have to spend $1000 I am ok with value as long as they sound great. Thanks. Joel

Edited by vigiano

I would like to update my klipsch RW12d sub woofer with something that will play music as well as movies at a higher level. Any suggestions. I can spend up to $1000. I have a klipsch RF 82, RF 62, rf 52 surround speakers, Can you guys help me out. I don't have to spend $1000 I am ok with value as long as they sound great. Thanks. Joel

Joel.

This here is a fantastic sub for music and HT. Plug the ports and go sealed for music, or go unplugged for either 16Hz tuned or 20Hz tuned for HT. Offer seller $900.00 and see where it goes.

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/ele/4550236915.html

FR-PB12P.jpg

*Frequency response graph does not denote maximum output capability.

• 2-meter ground plane away from reflective structures (quasi-anechoic)
  • 18-250 Hz +/- 3 dB (20 Hz mode)
  • 16-250 Hz +/- 3 dB (16 Hz mode)
  • 23-250 Hz +/- 3 dB (sealed mode)

Bill

Thanks for the info. The sub is just too heavy for me to handle. I am recovering from a 3 level cervical spine fusion and have had 2 back surgeries. I can't move anything like that. I looked on the SVS website and I was thinking about the ported or the unported sb 2000 or the sp1000. What do you think would one of these work with my set up? thanks.

The sub is just too heavy for me to handle. I am recovering from a 3 level cervical spine fusion and have had 2 back surgeries. I can't move anything like that.

Sorry to hear that. I hope things improve for you.

I looked on the SVS website and I was thinking about the ported or the unported sb 2000 or the sp1000. What do you think would one of these work with my set up? thanks.

Without knowing your room size, I can't be certain of either. With that said, the SB2000 is a very highly rated "semi" budget sub. Probably as good as any bang for the buck production sub out there.

Bill

The stereo is in a 20 by 20 Family room with 8 foot ceilings. I placed the tv and speakers in the corner pointing out at an L shaped couch about 12 feet from the speakers. At least that's what Audysey measured them at.. Does this info help. I am currently running the Klipsch rw12d sub that came with the RF82 system.

Dual Outlaw Audio LMF-EX subs. A little over budget but I would call them and see if they can offer a discount for multiples. Reaction Audio and PSA subs are also very good subs for the budget conscious.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. The sub is just too heavy for me to handle. I am recovering from a 3 level cervical spine fusion and have had 2 back surgeries. I can't move anything like that. I looked on the SVS website and I was thinking about the ported or the unported sb 2000 or the sp1000. What do you think would one of these work with my set up? thanks.

call a friend. That PB-12plus is a notch above the sb or PB 2000's now. I'd take it for sure over either other ones. That is of you can find a friend to help move it? Son? Anyone. Buy em lunch.
  • Like 1

Also that is the older non sledge version so I'd offer 700 and see where he goes.

You are right. I did not notice that. :unsure: I think $700.00 would be a fair offer.

You can get a used new version from Svs for around a grand anyways I believe.

You are correct again my friend, but add a couple of hundred to the $1000.00.

http://www.svsound.com/specials/outlet-specials/pb12-plus-outlet-bo_3#.U7acmPldXew

Bill

If it needs to be lightweight check out the Bill Fitzmaurice Simplexx 15HT sub, it uses lightweight braced plywood construction, corner ports to reduce cone rock and will offer plenty of output for your room size. Its a DIY sub project but there should be a cabinet maker near you.

The weight should be near 1/2 of the others mentioned, it uses the Dayton HO 15" driver

Here is some info.

BFM web pages.

S 15 frequency response

SimplexxHTSub.gif

Thanks for the advice. I want to place the sub behind the tv and the pb2000 is a bit large and as I said heavy to move. Are the sb 2000 and the sp1000 going to be a noticeable improvement over the rw 12d sub that I already have? I don't want to buy used I have had numerous problems with other subs breaking and then having to lift them and take them into be repaired. Will only buy new with warranty.

Thanks for the advice.

You are welcome.

I want to place the sub behind the tv and the pb2000 is a bit large and as I said heavy to move.

Gotcha.

Are the sb 2000 and the sp1000 going to be a noticeable improvement over the rw 12d sub that I already have?

Yes I think so. Both are more accurate with no port noise(sealed) and should be more musical and provide more output.

Bill

Dual Outlaw Audio LMF-EX subs. A little over budget but I would call them and see if they can offer a discount for multiples. Reaction Audio and PSA subs are also very good subs for the budget conscious.

This is a great option. Two subs for better coverage and not as heavy as some of the subs mentioned. Ported or sealed can be great with music. For that size room, ported will be great for movies.

Edited by derrickdj1
  • Like 1

will the sb2000 be better than the RW 12d even though it's not ported or is the SP1000 going to be enough sub. If t's not enough I would have to think about the sp2000. I could move the tv stand out further from the wall. Most of the listening is to tv and movies. I do have 2000 cd's ripped to my computer and listen to music for about an hour every day. I also have several DTS cd's and Music Dvd's that I like to listen to in surround sound so I know the SB2000 should be a big improvement in the sound for music.

Edited by vigiano