Mounting Klipschorns off the floor

pbriscoe

Does anyone have experience mounting Klipschorns off the floor? We have naughty cats so I am afraid if I place my new Klipschorns on the floor they get sprayed by the cats. I was thinking I could build 18" risers to get them out of harms way but not sure what this will do to the sound. I will be grateful for any advice.

• Like 1

Does anyone have experience mounting Klipschorns off the floor? We have naughty cats so I am afraid if I place my new Klipschorns on the floor they get sprayed by the cats. I was thinking I could build 18" risers to get them out of harms way but not sure what this will do to the sound. I will be grateful for any advice.

The Klipschorns use the bass reflection from the floor (as well as from both walls) to create adequate bass. I wouldn't raise them.

Get the cats fixed?

As far as turning them upside down against the ceiling, you would want a very solid, non-flexing ceiling -- like a floor -- not just sheet rock or suspended tile, etc. I don't know how you would attach them. Be careful, because the top part of a Khorn isn't very strong.

Our cat is not allowed into the music room/home theater.

Edited by Garyrc

I appreciate the feed back. The cats are staying and the room is central to the home and does not have doors to keep the cats out. I am also worried about them clawing the speakers so getting them "fixed" is not a solution. It seems to me that if I were to build a sturdy enough box with a thick top for the speakers to sit on, it should reproduce the dynamics of the floor, may have to stuff the box with insulation to modify the sound. One way or another I have to get the speakers up off the ground.

I believe djk posted a pic of some Khorns mounted on the ceiling before. I can't locate it though...

My cats (long since passed away of old age at around 20 years) were indoor cats only, neutered and had their front claws removed. Best animals I ever had.They would still try to scratch with their front paws, but it didn't hurt anything. Two former males who never sprayed anything or scratched anything. All the speakers and furniture has survived...

Raising them up 18 inches might work fine, but you won't know until you try it.

Bruce

if I were to build a sturdy enough box with a thick top for the speakers to sit on, it should reproduce the dynamics of the floor, may have to stuff the box with insulation to modify the sound

The center of the Khorn bass bin is meant to be the specified distance from the floor. Maybe someone on the forum could tell you how to avoid phase cancellation (or interference) by having risers of a specific height, rather than some other height.

Ask Klipsch (talk to a technical person in customer service). Roy Delgado, if available, would probably know.

My best guess is that risers will result in inadequate bass. Do you have the Khorns yet? Maybe some other Klipsch model would be better for you.

When we first moved into this house we followed the advice of a cat expert, and put plastic ground cloth in front of the Khorns, with towells soaked with vinegar on top of the plastic (but not very near the Khorns). The idea was to condition the cat to stay away from the speakers, then later remove the towells and plastic. Our cat, outside of giving us a couple of dirty looks, ignored the towells. Oh well.

The only method I have seen done and what was recommended by Klipsch (at least I know it was what was done in the 70's) is to flip them and mount them against the ceiling.

I would think this would be similar to having them on the floor, so I don't see why it won't work.

Guest David H

I doubt raising them 18 inches will keep the cats off of them.

Spaying is a good idea. I declawed mine as well.

Dave

I doubt raising them 18 inches will keep the cats off of them.

Spaying is a good idea. I declawed mine as well.

Dave

Dave, are your cats going outside?

If so, declawing is really a bad thing...

I find it terrible in general!

It is forbidden by law where I live ... pretty logical I would say...

Edited by jvanhambelgium
  • Like 1

Other than the spraying, perhaps a good candidate for some MWM or Jubilee's...

My cats destroyed the grills on my EV Interface D's and one of the VMR's. Got them fixed (spay/neutered) but out in the country, have to keep their claws much to the chagrin of the local (and declining) population of rabbits....

why not build a frame and screen it in so the cats cannot get near the speakers............this solves claw marks and spraying while keeping the speakers set up for best performance

raising the speakers defeats the design purpose and you may as well have cornwalls or lascala's, If you build a platform as you state the platform would have to be larger than the Khorn to gain the needed reflection in order to keep some of the design uses, so in essence all you have done is build a step for the cat to stand on to spray your speaker

you could even use some nice designs on the screen to make them look better, and make them easily removable so while you listen and can watch the cats they are not there then when you are done set the screens up to keep the cats away