Mounting Klipschorns off the floor

pbriscoe

why not build a frame and screen it in so the cats cannot get near the speakers............this solves claw marks and spraying while keeping the speakers set up for best performance

raising the speakers defeats the design purpose and you may as well have cornwalls or lascala's, If you build a platform as you state the platform would have to be larger than the Khorn to gain the needed reflection in order to keep some of the design uses, so in essence all you have done is build a step for the cat to stand on to spray your speaker

you could even use some nice designs on the screen to make them look better, and make them easily removable so while you listen and can watch the cats they are not there then when you are done set the screens up to keep the cats away

Yes, I have considered this option. May be the best solution. Thanks.

• Moderators

When we first got the MWM we had a cat, it liked to walk in them and come out the other side, once I turned it up when it was inside, it never went around them again.

• Like 2

Having them inverted, with the bottoms "coupled" to the ceiling can be done by building sturdy pedestals of the right height (ceiling height minus speaker height).

This is a good idea, but if you live in earthquake country, make sure the Khorns can't fly off the pedestals.

The screen may be the best idea.

About 20 years ago our cat liked to lay on her side and put her paw all the way into the port of our old (TV) passive Klipsch subwoofer. We had to measure her from armpit to paw tip, to make sure she couldn't reach the speaker cone.

• Like 1

Dave, are your cats going outside? If so, declawing is really a bad thing... I find it terrible in general! It is forbidden by law where I live ... pretty logical I would say...

I believe that when a cat is de-clawed the toe has to be removed to the joint closest to the claw. This does not allow the cat to walk properly. Kinda like having your toes cut back and having to walk on... stubby feet?

Not for me to express judgement though.

Edited by Taz

Does anyone have experience mounting Klipschorns off the floor? We have naughty cats so I am afraid if I place my new Klipschorns on the floor they get sprayed by the cats. I was thinking I could build 18" risers to get them out of harms way but not sure what this will do to the sound. I will be grateful for any advice.

I am sorry if this sounds abrupt, but 'naughty' cats and 'new' Klipschorns' should not be in the same sentence, let alone the same room or living quarters. Never been a cat person...and never will. I don't trust them and they don't respect things. Cat piss is some awful smelling stuff & they can excrete something worse than a skunk when they want to. Please protect your new Klipschorns and keep the cats away from them. Maybe a high-end bookshelf speaker would be more practical. Or, like a previous post, be ready to crank up the volume with Led Zepp's Black Dog or terrible Ted's Dog eat Dog when the cats get anywhere near your Klipschorns. By all means, never play Ted's Cat Scratch Fever! Good Luck :unsure:

I would have given the purchase of Klipschorns as a cat owner a bit more thought...What doesn't need any thought from me is the issue of de-clawing them, it is a terrible thing to do to them, and it is not just a simple matter of removing the claw, they actually have to amputate the bone attached to it, it is akin to you having a finger removed at the last joint. Let me say that I have absolutely no affection for cats, but having watched a documentary on the practice of de-clawing and it's consequences I was left stunned and almost in tears. It has been out-lawed almost everywhere else in the world....

Edited by oldenough
  • Like 1

I currently have 3 cats, and have owned many more over the years. They don't mess with my speakers. We have an understanding on this, much like they also don't wander the kitchen counters. Not to be overly harsh, but where to place the speakers is not the issue.

I like the screen idea kind of like a fire place screen could be made to look real good with K-horns. Maybe oak frame and window screen or even fabric, Better yet how about the Japanese type screen some use to get dressed behind. But most cats could jump from floor to top of K-horn pretty easy. Rick

I currently have 3 cats, and have owned many more over the years. They don't mess with my speakers. We have an understanding on this, much like they also don't wander the kitchen counters. Not to be overly harsh, but where to place the speakers is not the issue.

It is when you have a cat that is mentally challenged. The other 2 cats are no problem, however we have one that was a runt and is mentally deficient. No way we would ever de-claw a cat. From experience I know that anything 18" off the floor is safe from the "naughty" kitty. I will speak with an engineer from Klipsch as suggested. If risers are out of the question, then a screen it is.

From experience I know that anything 18" off the floor is safe from the "naughty" kitty.

Heck even the old timer around here can do 24 " and she's 14 years old.

Might I recommend tin foil at the top of an 18" barrier should you choose. I'm told this is an old trick for teaching cats to stay off counters, tables or pretty much anywhere you don't want them to go.

I think I would steer clear of the rolled up plastic of any kind. My Brother who gets to enjoy lots of crawling under houses says if one of the vents to under the house is open and has plastic water barrier that it will attract cats from all over the neighborhood.

They also make a spray repellent to keep kitty from going where their not suppose to

I like the screen idea. My k-horns are in a detached building in a dedicated listening room away from the animals. The woman of the house is a dog groomer and boards others' dogs. For the area they have access to; I have Altec Lansing 9842D's mounted on the wall as they would have been in the studio. Animals can't get close to them. The room my CF-2's are in is gated off to the dogs. I haven't had any problem with the two cats trying to claw them. She trains her animals very well!

Also, as to the declawing of cats; HORRIBLE! They can't defend themselves without claws and the practice is utterly cruel.

I think a Bit of time on Google may be in order here.

We are down to one Kat, and so far he is not interested in the wife's khorns.

I ask her sometime back if the Kat was taking a liking to her speakers, she said a couple times she shot him with the squirt bottle, it also explains to me when im around her Khorns she has a squirt bottle in her hands, never really thought about that before.

• Moderators
she said a couple times she shot him with the squirt bottle

That does work, I forgot I did that a long time ago, it was so much fun anytime the cat even went on that side of the room he got a squirt. Kind of up in the air and let it fall on them, they can't figure out where it's coming from and look all around. Works on little kids also. :ph34r:

• Like 1

I believe that when a cat is de-clawed the toe has to be removed to the joint closest to the claw. This does not allow the cat to walk properly. Kinda like having your toes cut back and having to walk on... stubby feet? Not for me to express judgement though.
No, only the claw is removed, although there are probably different ways vets will do it.

We had happy cats and they never had a problem climbing on anything, they just couldn't tear stuff up.

Also, as to the declawing of cats; HORRIBLE! They can't defend themselves without claws and the practice is utterly cruel.
Our cats never had to defend themselves from anything. Sorry you feel that way. Our cats never had a problem health wise and got around fine, even being able to climb. Their personalities (for cats) were the best we ever had.

Having cats neutered provides no benefit to the cat either, but people do that ALL the time. It is for the convenience of the owner.

Cats will spray, neutered, spayed or not. Males and females spray from anal glands located on either side of their Bosehole. The spray stinks bad and is very acidic - eats into steel like battery acid.

Edited by ratcobob