The next generation could not care less about our hobby.

I had some people over for the forth and my brother in law brought his teenaged daughter and her boyfriend. Having a strong kid here was the perfect opportunity to move a pair of P37's downstairs for surround duty so I enlisted him.

He actually seemed interested, asking why I had so many turntables. He also clearly knew that these were speakers that were being moved, and probably nice ones.

So we get them downstairs and in the living room, which now looks like a merlot tigerwood stonehenge of Palladiums. I am not saying this to brag, but that is what I would have been thinking when I was 18 years old.

So anyway, the kids immidiately need to know the wifi key so that can do whatever they do on their laptop. We all go outside and they stay indoors. Being polite, I ask the 18 year olds, "do you want me to put on the radio or a cd for you guys to listen to?" I was not thinking that this would be a treat or anything, just being polite before we all went outside.

But if that was asked to me at 18, they would have had to pry me from the room at 2 am kicking and screaming. Their answer, no, that is OK, thanks.

Now I know that I have always been into this hobby, and I did not even think about it at the time. But the next day it dawned on me. How strange that a kid did not want to listen to music, and a nice stereo none the less.

• Like 1

But the next day it dawned on me. How strange that a kid did not want to listen to music, and a nice stereo none the less.

ipod generation.

Sad isn't it?

I told my 10 year old son to take those earbuds out and let me set up a little 2-channel rig for him to listen to music with his mom's(now his) iPhone 4. He was actually excited and asked, "Do I hook up this little single cord to the phone and the double cord to the stereo?". I think he is getting it. Let's see how long this will last.

Bill

Edited by willland

I've always been amazed at the statistics of those actors/musicians that make it "big", and how many of them confess that they either weren't allowed or didn't have TVs. Nowadays I suppose the same reference today would be smartphones, video iPods, and laptops. Most of these actors and performers had plenty of time to read, and to develop their fine arts and social (or acting) skills.

I'm with you on the music thing - I was always interested in listening to whatever stereo system that looked like higher fidelity.

Chris

• Moderators
ipod generation. Sad isn't it?

It really is sad.

Many times it starts with the parents, they listen to music from the Tv or car radio or ear buds at best, for the little they do listen, the kids just go with what's most convienent.

I've always been amazed at the statistics of those actors/musicians that make it "big", and how many of them confess that they either weren't allowed or didn't have TVs. Nowadays I suppose the same reference today would be smartphones, video iPods, and laptops. Most of these actors and performers had plenty of time to read, and to develop their fine arts and social (or acting) skills.

I'm with you on the music thing - I was always interested in listening to whatever stereo system that looked like higher fidelity.

Chris

Me too. If I was 18, and someone left me alone with an excellent system like this, I would...

A. Find the limit of the speakers

B. Find the limit of the power source

C. Asked to leave

(probably all three in that order)

Their answer, no, that is OK, thanks

Maybe they were just being polite in a way as well, as they didn't want to take up everyone's time and put you out Which would make them feel selfish, at least that is why I messed out on opportunities when I was that age.

On the other hand like Dtel said, its what their parents do, and what is convenient. My daughter at the age of 9 wanted a record player to play some 45s she was given, along with some Beatles albums she wanted. Something she picked up to be like dad.

I think our only hope to introduce this hobby to new people is going up to the hipsters(which I refer to kids in their early 20's that only do things cause they are cool). Anyways I feel that is the reason why "vintage" stuff has gotten so pricey. Just kind of my 2 cents. I don't think alot of people listen to music for the same reasons we do, they do just because its there, or its what everyone else is doing.

Then again what next generation do you speak of. My generation could be what you speak, which I feel your statement might still be true. Then again you did mention the guy was 18, which ever.

I was thinking now matter if the system was high end or not, at 18 I would still opt. to sit and listen to music until 2 in the morning

So anyway, the kids immediately need to know the wifi key so that can do whatever they do on their laptop. We all go outside and they stay indoors. Being polite, I ask the 18 year olds, "do you want me to put on the radio or a cd for you guys to listen to?" I was not thinking that this would be a treat or anything, just being polite before we all went outside.

But if that was asked to me at 18, they would have had to pry me from the room at 2 am kicking and screaming. Their answer, no, that is OK, thanks.

Now I know that I have always been into this hobby, and I did not even think about it at the time. But the next day it dawned on me. How strange that a kid did not want to listen to music, and a nice stereo none the less.

LOL! I wouldn't over think this if I were you.

He already knew you had a "phonograph", invented by Thomas Edison at the beginning of the last century. You immediately blew it by offering to play a quaint old fashioned "CD" (whatever that is) instead of some jammin' MP3's. He probably thought you were offering to play some nice baroque waltzes, or Gregorian chant music.

You should have demonstrated how hip and informed you are with the modern music by telling him that your Palladium's could keep up with the "awesome" sound produced with Beats by Dr. Dre.

Wow.... B)

• Like 2

I'll take a stab and guess you have a generation of kids, (ages 18-30) that are more into video games, video game consoles, and at least a decent flat screen television or monitor with no regard to surround sound or stereo...usually stock television speakers or a headset...

Or mostly use of mobile phone game applications, or tablets. Any audio enthusiast type kid now seems to be into car stereo, and even that seems to be less prevalent.

My kids aren't much different, they have a library of music on their laptops these days. I did set up both my kids with a 3.0 system in each room. Now they just have the O/P from the laptop going into the system which is ok, or they just plug it into the o/p of the iphone. my philosophy on that is build it and they will listen. both have small paradigm systems. At this point im just trying to get them into it. it is enjoyable and they should have the outlet. having said all that, they do seem to be less concerned with sound quality, but do like the fact that they can listen. My son is more interested that my daughter, he just doesn't have the space for a huge system, yet. he is interested in building a Sub though, which is interesting. we might be on a build this fall.

I think, in general, it's difficult to have an appreciation for something when you do not have any idea of what it takes to make assemble or get to that point.

We could be talking about any topic... but we're talking about audio so if you have no context by which to grade the audio or system you might hear, it's no surprise there was no reaction to the equipment.

Even when I was young, it was more about what was being played as topposed to what it was being played upon. I also think it can be unfair to think that all "youth" do not have the appreciation... certainly as a blanket statement it is not a truism.

Who knows, perhaps someday your visitor might have a flashback to tyat day and ask... "whatever happened to those sleaker you used to have ?"

Young people see no real future for themselves. Even owning their own home seems fantastical to them -- owning a high fidelity sound system isn't even on the radar.

They are also the generation of streaming, and something like the idea of "owning" a CD probably seems pretty outdated.

My kids like my systems, especially the Home Theatre one. I think most go in for that kind of thing, but 2-channel is going with us to the other side.

• Like 2

Oh you guys, don't be all doom and gloom. Us 30-something's have disposable income and are spending it on trinkets and toys, including "hi-fi". The hobby may skip a generation, but I'm confident that the children of people my age will be very much into not only the consumption of music, but also the experience. Just because we're not doing it like you did when you were our age doesn't mean it isn't happening. :P

When I turn on the system my daughters usually both come out and sit with me and I will compromise by playing some of their requests. They are 13 and 10. They are very much into music although most is not my taste. They do like some of mine and have asked if I can download it to their MP3's etc....its funny though they will stay in the room when I'm listening at 90-95db's and often times tell me to turn it up more hee hee. Their is hope for the younger generation to appreciate nice systems and the quality of which they hear it.

OK. Modify the thread to say children of people who are not into this hobby do not care about it. I don't care about model trains. I don't want one. My dad used to fly model airplanes and I hung around with him. Now they are called drones.

• Like 1

So - does this same generation not appreciate the sound of live concerts? Do they attend live music and revel in the performance as often and as much as was done in the past? I realize music is now portable and constantly accessible - but at issue is the concept of quality over quantity. If they appreciate the live concert how would they not aspire to owning a better performing sound system in their homes, vehicles, etc........? Do companies such as Klipsch have any responsibility to educate this generation about the performance of sound devices? I see so many missed opportunities. Every theater with Klipsch product is a perfect example of point of performance marketing - not accessed and not educated. That does not serve the uninitiated generations well IMHO.