Broken Terminal P39F

Tonight I finally finished making my other speaker cable and connected everything up properly. I had them hooked up with some cheap lamp cord all this time so finally with enough time on my hands I went for it. I should have seen it as a sign when the very large spade terminals were too small for the binding posts. I would have never imagined that these big ole terminals would be too small but they were. I read the manual and the suggested method is stripping them back and inserting in the hole in the post and tightening the lug down. Sweet right? Well that would have worked out great and did on 3 of the 4 terminals. The LAST one I did broke off. It split right at the hole in the post. I really am ticked off to no end. There are 2 other terminals that I can use but there aren't enough threads to tighten the jumper strap to the broken one. It is the middle lug so for now I bent the strap so that when the other two are tightened is presses hard against the connection so it is working for now.

Obviously this needs to be fixed. I wonder if this is a DIY job. Looking at it I really don't see how to gain access. Has anyone ever had to get in one of these speakers? I'm really just totally ticked off about this. I'll be calling Klipsch tomorrow. ACK!!!!

post-15949-0-50020000-1404701728_thumb.j

• Like 1

That is really odd, my 20 year-old CF-4 terminal snapped off the same way. All I tried to do was tighten it and it twisted right off.

I don't know your P-39 setup, but my CF-4 was a five minute fix, a simple unscrew/bolt-in with the replacement which I got off Ebay for $10.

$_12.JPG

• Like 1

The access is easy. You will need some torx bits if I remember correctly. Take the bottom off of the speakers. There is a really heavy plate, then a formed wood bottom cap on the speakers (where the crossovers are).

Once removed, you can reach in there and remove the housing that holds the binding posts. Take some pics of the crossovers and post them here if you don't mind. Everyone can look in horror at the electrolytic caps. :o

The housing comes out by removing 4 screws. Be careful when putting the screws back, MDF strips easily.

Contact Klipsch parts. They just might be embarrassed that these broke and send you a new lug.

• Like 3

That is really odd, my 20 year-old CF-4 terminal snapped off the same way. All I tried to do was tighten it and it twisted right off.

I don't know your P-39 setup, but my CF-4 was a five minute fix, a simple unscrew/bolt-in with the replacement which I got off Ebay for $10.

$_12.JPG

yeah it's crazy I really didn't crank it that tight really. It was a very sickening feeling when it broke I will tell you that.

• Like 2

Thanks TW. I did see the torx screws on the bottom but figured that would be too easy. Nothing ever works out like that for me.

LOL on the capacitor comment. I will take some pictures when I get in there.

Yes... please do. curious poster is curious.

• Like 1

Well the kind people at Klipsch are sending me the parts. The didn't mention money so I guess the price is right.

I'm glad to hear this...

(I know that this is not your case, but)

Sadly, I learned my lesson the hard way mostly because I "used to be" a one more turn type of guy, just to make sure it was tight enough.

That was until I felt the need to turn a spark plug on my car just a little more to the right and it broke off.

I still remember the shock of my neighbors when they heard my verbal reaction to what had happened.

Therefore, I'm very tender when it comes to speaker terminals.....

• Like 1

Well the kind people at Klipsch are sending me the parts. The didn't mention money so I guess the price is right.

I'm glad to hear this...

(I know that this is not your case, but)

Sadly, I learned my lesson the hard way mostly because I "used to be" a one more turn type of guy, just to make sure it was tight enough.

That was until I felt the need to turn a spark plug on my car just a little more to the right and it broke off.

I still remember the shock of my neighbors when they heard my verbal reaction to what had happened.

Therefore, I'm very tender when it comes to speaker terminals.....

Well it's sorta my case. I guess I just couldn't lay off that one last little crank. Who would have thought it would shear off so easily. Oh well at least I get to show pictures the crappy crossovers right here.......