Epic cf4 mods + amp rack build

What musical genre do you listen to? Also, are you going to use this in 2.0 or 2.1 mode, or will you go to a 5.1 configuration? I am using mine basically in a 5.1 setup, but I liked the CF-4's so much in the low end, I disconnected the sub, for a 5.0 setup.

+++

If you want to, I'd like you to suggest a piece of music we can both listen to, and even Youtube is fine with me, as long as we are listening to the same piece. I'd like you to review what you are hearing, and I'll review the same music on my lightly modded CF-4, with as much consistency as we can get. The sounds I am most sensitive to is female vocals, jazz featuring brass (think Stan Kenton or Maynard Ferguson), drums/cymbals, and maybe piano.

I know it won't have the oopmph of a true A/B comparison, but it might be fun. B)

+++

I have found this piece can expose the sounds of my system:

Edited by wvu80

i finally wrapped my Cf-4 horns with Dynamat and it definitely made a difference, cleans up the highs a bit and gives some crispness to the bass!

well worth the 60 dollar upgrade!

I spent 63 shipped on my dynamat and i had more than half left over. You can probably get away with even less dynamat to save some $, just FYI. 

wvu80 YGPM

Edited by alexg5775

• 2 weeks later...

Front pic with heresy II with the fisher 500c on top, one k horn and the cf4's in the back. You can compare sizes of all the speakers this way. I spent an entire day listening to all the speakers, switching amps, receivers on differant speakers and comparing. It was a awesome day!! :D  :D

post-31857-0-87080000-1409250212_thumb.j

Front pic with heresy II with the fisher 500c on top, one k horn and the cf4's in the back. You can compare sizes of all the speakers this way. I spent an entire day listening to all the speakers, switching amps, receivers on differant speakers and comparing. It was a awesome day!! :D  :D

Either you're not married, or your wife was out of the house visiting her mother! 

Seriously nice setup for listening to your gear, but holy cow, your laptop and that recliner is only a foot from those CF-4's!!!  I'm guessing you could hear it from there.  :D

+++

Any conclusions or impressions from listening to the different speakers back-to-back-to-back?

• 2 weeks later...

Found this going through some old pics. I am a little sad i did not do a comparison weight between the k-63-kn and the EV dh1506. The EV dh1506 is just massive, must be double the weight and size. Comparison pic really does not do justice.

The EV weighs 13 pounds so if you use these you really must install a cross brace for the driver to rest upon or a suitable hangar assembly otherwise you are going to end up with a broken horn. Never ship the speaker with this (or any driver for that matter) installed onto the horn as this is the single most common cause of horn damage that there is. Best regards Moray James.

EV DH1506 Service.pdf

EV DH1506 EDS.pdf

Edited by moray james

• 6 months later...

Found this going through some old pics. I am a little sad i did not do a comparison weight between the k-63-kn and the EV dh1506. The EV dh1506 is just massive, must be double the weight and size. Comparison pic really does not do justice.

The K-63-KN = 2.0 pounds.  The DH-1505 = 10.4 pounds.

post-58280-0-80480000-1428283580_thumb.j

post-58280-0-82240000-1428283725_thumb.j

Edited by wvu80

In regards to installing the EV driver in the Epics. Besides extra bracing perhaps, is there any other changes one needs to make when swapping out the EV drivers for the stock ones.  Also, obviously it is bigger and beefier in comparison to stock but it is also a ferrite magnet compared to Neo magnets.  does that not even out the playing field somewhat.  Hey Moray, that is a great spec sheet link on the 1506. do you have a link to the k-63 as well. 

In regards to installing the EV driver in the Epics. Besides extra bracing perhaps, is there any other changes one needs to make when swapping out the EV drivers for the stock ones.  

Yes.  The two pound stock driver is simply screwed onto the mouth and the plastic horn supports it.  There is NO WAY the stock horn would support the 10 pound DH-1506, so adding some bracing such as a 1x3 will be necessary to prevent the horn from cracking under the additional stress.

FYI the DH-1506 is an exact screw-on replacement.  Alex said Crites did not suggest changing any of the XO values.

Also, obviously it is bigger and beefier in comparison to stock but it is also a ferrite magnet compared to Neo magnets.  does that not even out the playing field somewhat.  Hey Moray, that is a great spec sheet link on the 1506. do you have a link to the k-63 as well.

In my opinion, yes, the neo magnet gives you a similar sound without the weight, and the stock K-63 sounds terrific.  It's just after the CD change, there is no doubt even in a casual A/B listening test, the DH-1505 sounds much more full in the midrange.

If there is a criticism of the stock setup it is there might be a harshness or resonance in the top end.  I tamed that by damping the horn with silicon seal which had a negligible result in listening tests.  It is only when I added a small amount of polyfil did the harshness go away, and the overall sound became more accurate.  I felt the original sound was a bit high like a third of an octave on the treble side, but after the two changes, a piano now sounds very much like a piano.

I drive my CF-4's with a 110 wpc Onk 717 AVR, and I am very happy with the sound.  In talking with Alex, even sight unseen I think his idea of adding more power to the woofs by bi-amping will go even further to balance out the sound which stock is overpowered by the HF horn (or conversely, underpowered by the woofs).

Any fan of chest thumping sound will be happy with the stock CF-4 and the additional mods add to the quality and dynamics of the  sound.

Edited by wvu80