Epic cf4 mods + amp rack build

the actual volume difference is not an issue and the fact that Alex will be re damping the cabinet with F-11 acoustical wool felt will result in the woofers thinking they are in a larger than stock cabinet. variations of volume up to 10% are common and are not considered significant to tuning. brace work like this also has the added benefit of breaking up any standing waves within the cabinet. Best regards Moray James.

• Like 1

here is a very similar mod to a pair of CF3. There are lots of good pictures and the brace job was done well more importantly the owner is very pleased. You can ask for comments if you like I imagine he would be happy to answer. Best regards Moray James

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/142693-epic-cf3-bracing-damping-project/

• Like 1

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=438234

here are some pictures of the inside of my H3 cabinets, there are also 3/4"x3/4" solid white oak around all of the inside cabinet panel joints which may not be easy to see in the photos. These cabinets are nearly totally stuffed with high density fiberglass and they have the deepest bass of any Heresy I know of.. Folks who know Heresy who hear these are amazed and look for the sub which is not there. They also find this amazing as these Heresy3 are up on 22" high four post stands. I hope that this is of interest. Best regards Moray James.

• Like 1

So today i was able to squeeze in a few more hours of speaker time. I am all done with placing the felt in the box. I placed a U shaped layer of felt directly behind the woofer, running from left to right, i placed another layer on top of both woofers and layer of felt below upper woofer. Essentially there is a more or less a box/chamber of felt behind both woofers except for under the lower woofer, this is how Moray suggested to me. This is all 1/2" felt.

I also placed a gell/rubber piece of material under the compression driver to support the compression driver and prevent horn from cracking or breaking or anything like that.

Should be taking a listen real soon.

Alex

post-31857-0-10880000-1406079656_thumb.j

Edited by alexg5775
  • Like 2

Will be interested to hear your impressions of the 4s once you get everything put back together. Been very pleased with the results from my project, and I suspect that you'll also be pleased. Very interested to see your impressions on the new EV drivers...those things are monsters.

• Like 1

Brian you are right the EV DH1506 are monsters especially compared to the stock CF3/4 comp drivers but they are only little babies when placed next to the EV DH1A giants at 24.5 lbs each Large format 2 inch nominal exit (1.94") or if you remove the extender nose cup they can be used as 1.4" exit, they have three inch diaphragms and are capable of outputting TEN acoustical watts across their band. I don't think there more than two or three drivers in the world today capable of such power. Best regards Moray James.

• Like 1

Moray - if I remember correctly, you are running the DH1A with your CF3s. I can about imagine that those monsters would blow the 1506 away. I'm thinking at some point I'd go the 1506 route though as I'd rather keep the tweeter inside the cabinet. The 1A is certainly impressive though...

• Like 1

pic

If you think about it, the next time, it would help if you would use a little higher res in your camera. The last pic came out fuzzy when I blew it up. And yes, I am following all your mods. B)

+++

I have a small Sony camera that has a little round "mode" selector on top. I am ALWAYS knocking that mode into something else and I get bad pics until I notice and put it back on automatic.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

Moray - if I remember correctly, you are running the DH1A with your CF3s. I can about imagine that those monsters would blow the 1506 away. I'm thinking at some point I'd go the 1506 route though as I'd rather keep the tweeter inside the cabinet. The 1A is certainly impressive though...

Hey Brian: actually I am using the DH1A with My KLF20 woofers and I am not using a horn but rather a set of paper Karlson K-Tubes. I am thinking about larger cabinets for the KLF20 woofers but before that will try 100% solid cabinet filled with high density fiberglass and possibly some other materials other than HD fiberglass but again 100% stuffed and cabinet sealed not vented. Best regards Moray James.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Will be interested to hear your impressions of the 4s once you get everything put back together. Been very pleased with the results from my project, and I suspect that you'll also be pleased. Very interested to see your impressions on the new EV drivers...those things are monsters.

Here to give update.

I have been busy lately building a custom amp rack. I have it lying in the middle of my living room now so i am trying to get this done. I will be placing one cf4 on top of the thtlp and the other i am building a shelf or stand to place speaker on. I plan on raising speakers 24". I know it sounds like alot. I listen to 90% music and do most my listening standing, walking around house, people over watching sports, or sitting on high stool on table. I think this should work perfectly.

I am using a marantz 2252b to power tweets and preamp out to crest ca 6, 350watts @ 8 ohms stereo pro amp to woofers. When i first got speakers and listened to them stock for a few days with same setup. I did all the mods at same time and did not do one mod, play, do one mod, play, etc. I did not have time for this and crossovers were at crites so this would have been impossible.

Speakers are still on floor, I am waiting for marantz 2330 to get back from getting recapped and will replace 2252b, FYI. As promised i do plan on doing a indepth review of cf4 vs khorns. So how do they sound? Initial impressions...

The highs are much cleaner and especially at higher volumes. Just effortless highs while mainting clean clear sound were as with old tweets they seem to struggle just a bit at higher volumes and did not sound as clean or as "nice", especially at higher volumes.

The Bass is just rediculous. There is a midbass in these speakers i have never heard before. Almost, maybe border line alomst to much mid bass, but sounds so so good. The quality, the tone, its quick response, ablity to sound how a kick drum should sound or how a intrument should sound it just awesome. The woofers sound almost like they are infinite baffle. The sound they produce is so clean, like the back of the speakers dont exist or like they ar floating in air and the music they produce is the only thing coming right at you and nothing else. Very little distortion, to my ears.

The soundstage is huge. I love the tweeter in the middle of both woofers. Sounds different, to me, much better. Maybe it is personal prefferance. In a most speakers tweeter is on top and woofer on bottom and the way they integrate and your ear perceives the music is a certain way, maybe your ear separates these two sounds, with with the cf4's your having a tweeter with woofers on top and bottom and it just sounds different. I love it. I am very excited to raise them.

When i play music and i walk into house it hits me, sounds like 10000$ speakers playing in my living room. It is hard to leave the room. Once in the room for a few minutes this initial WOW fades just a touch, but this effect these speakers have on me are big. Warm feeling in my heart and grin on my face. Friends and family are blown away.

When i heard them stock they sounded good. I could have lived with them stock and been happy, not knowing what they are capable of. I spend over 700$ on mods, i know this is alot, but these are just mean right now. I stand with confidence on how they sound and am very happy. Khorn will be for sale soon. Khorn sound great, they reallty do, but have there own sound and i think are really not for me. I listen to alot of techno, hip hop and bass heavy music and like to listen loud, cf'4 really shine in this department.

Review is with Thtlp horn sub turned off.

I got much more pics to come and more in depth review. There is so much more I want to write but I want to finish setup and start other thread. Feel free to ask away questions.

Alex

Edited by alexg5775
  • Like 1

I went rf82 for like 3 years, la scala 1 year, khorn 1 yead, and now cf4. My dream is is a pair of jubs. I pm'd box when he put his for sale. lol. I will get them one day,

I live in a town house and have neighboors on one side. They really like me and have NEVER complain. Last party lasted to 430 am music blasting. I throw maybe 2-3 parties a year, rest of listening is at normal hours. They say they just sleep through it.

Edited by alexg5775

So one speaker will go on top of thtlp on the right and the other speaker will go on top of this shelf/stand or whatever you want to call it on the left. It will be used simply to place speaker on top of and lift speaker. I am painting everything in black duratex. I did the first coat today, this stuff is awesome. I am very happy i decided with the duratex. Ill post pics when all done so you can see what i am talking about and how it wil look.

post-31857-0-57860000-1407806148_thumb.j

And this is the amp rack. i built everything using 3/4 MDF and a skill saw, tape measure, screws, wood glue, drywall spackle, etc. I have not cut wood in a long time but i managed. This has been a great rewarding experience for me. I was going to buy a amp rack that was about 4.5 ft tall, metal with glass door used for 350 locally but dimensions wernt really what i wanted and did not want to spend all that $.

I spend about 100$ in wood and duratex gallon was like 70$ shipped, 5$ for screws and thats about it. Everything else i had. Amp rack is 6.5 feet tall and just how wide and size i want. I am going to put wheels on bottom. More pics to come. Everything is coming out great. I am actually suprised at how good. lol. Amp rack will go to extreme left on back wall were speakers with be. Then left speakers, tv, right speaker, and thtlp lying on bottom under speakers firing into right corner. I am very excited :):):D

post-31857-0-90940000-1407806575_thumb.j

Edited by alexg5775