Epic cf4 mods + amp rack build

Thanks for the info. There is a pair of them up on ebay for $199.  I am contemplating whether I want to go through the different steps needed tin install them. 

I think those 1506's might be available for slightly less.  PM sent.

+++

I think if you do a combination of what Alex did and what I did you can get an set of speakers that is audibly better.

I went cheap at first adding some polyfil and damping the horn, and if I did nothing else, I would be forever happy with the results.  This took out the harshness in the top end and made the speakers VERY accurate for musical instruments, to my ears.

Alex went all out and added drivers, XO component upgrades, substantial bracing and damping materials on the horn and woofer baskets.

I am now adding $150 worth of CD drivers and some 1x3 bracing for a CD cradle, which will have the effect of bracing the cab, but not as substantial as Alex's bracing. 

I've been listening to the 1506 in free air vs the stock K-63 just for A/B comparisons.  There is no doubt there is an immediate improvement in sound especially in lower sound levels, but if you didn't have the A vs B comparison, BOTH CD's produce tremendous sound. 

post-58280-0-13600000-1428420342_thumb.j

I like to DIY and hotrod my system, so that was my motivation.  If you don't mind a little cutting and gluing, I think you will like the improvement in sound.

• 2 years later...

Hello Moray James, 

I want to do these mods to my cf4s, would you have a chronological list for these mods for me to follow,  i would greatly appreciate it.  My email is Www.cntraindriver@gmail.com 

Thanks

SEAN 

Edited by maddog268
Mods, not mids